Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

  1. #21
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,412

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    At least its not Jenkem....

    Seriously, you don't want to look that up in Wikipedia. My co-worker just told me about it.
    You know when someone says you shouldn't look it up and you get so curious that you have to look it up? Well seriously- take Zyphlin's advise about not looking it up.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #22
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    What about the cereal thats "magically delicious"?



    LOL!

    What about that famous Capn Crunch cereal? I am sure this one is loaded with drugs!



    Has the FDA looked into Krispy Kreme donuts or Reeses Peanut Butter cups for drugs? I am pretty sure those can be addicting.
    Last edited by TheHat; 05-13-09 at 10:59 AM.

  3. #23
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Although the FDA needs serious reforms, it is absolutely necessary. If anything it needs to be expanded so that all the infomercials hocking poison don't have free reign to stuff whatever they want into a bottle so long as they put a notice saying that their penis pills and diet pills 'are not intended to treat or diagnose any illness.' The public has no idea what to make of medication, its safety, or its efficacy.
    My problem isn't so much with the FDA contesting false claims. My problem is with them requiring huge amounts of testing for promising treatments while people continue to die, and then holding the manufacturers liable anyway. I agree that quack medicine like homeopathy should not be allowed to make any medical claims. Heck, I'd go a step further than that, and require them to make a huge label on their products that says "THERE IS OVERWHELMING SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE THAT THIS TREATMENT IS TOTAL BALONEY. FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY."

    However, the FDA has no business regulating the actual sale or use of those products. If people want to buy stupid ****, they should be able to. If they want to take their chances with an unproven new treatment because they have a serious disease, they should be able to. The FDA has almost certainly killed far more people than its saved, by denying them treatments that could have helped them because they were unproven.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders
    There needs to be strong oversight, and I don't think that private groups can provide it.
    It could be like what ISO 9000 or the Better Business Bureau does for corporations. It could be like what US News and World Report does for colleges. An independent body with credibility in the public's eyes.

    All drugs could be legal and "use at your own risk," but independent agencies could certify how effective their treatments are, and how much evidence there is for those claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders
    It's the same problem that was partially responsible for the econopocalypse. Financial instruments were rated by private entities, and those entities were responsible for overseeing their customers. As a result, a lot of worthless junk was rated AAA. The pharmaceutical industry already has too much power over their own overseers in the form of an immensely strong lobby. If these companies were actually paying the organizations charged with regulating them, particularly in an area where the public is completely dependent on the word of apparent experts, I don't think the system would work at all
    Like you said, the pharmaceutical industry has a huge amount of influence over the government. They would have much less influence over a watchdog group...particularly if there were rival watchdogs ready to attack their credibility at the first sign of a conflict of interest.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-13-09 at 05:41 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #24
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    What about the cereal thats "magically delicious"?



    I have always wanted to taste that but it's banned here


  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I have always wanted to taste that but it's banned here
    They're banned? Really?! Is that just in London, or nationwide?

    I'm guessing because the British government somehow views the leprechaun as "hate speech"?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    My problem isn't so much with the FDA contesting false claims. My problem is with them requiring huge amounts of testing for promising treatments while people continue to die, and then holding the manufacturers liable anyway. I agree that quack medicine like homeopathy or herbalism should not be allowed to make any medical claims. Heck, I'd go a step further than that, and require them to make a huge label on their products that says "THERE IS OVERWHELMING SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE THAT THIS TREATMENT IS TOTAL BALONEY. FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY."

    However, the FDA has no business regulating the actual sale or use of those products. If people want to buy stupid ****, they should be able to. If they want to take their chances with an unproven new treatment because they have a serious disease, they should be able to. The FDA has almost certainly killed far more people than its saved, by denying them treatments that could have helped them because they were unproven.
    I disagree, because it is completely impossible for consumers to make intelligent decisions about powerful medications on their own. Without extensive clinical trials how can drug companies know what the side effects of, say, psychoactive drugs are before releasing them to consumers, to say nothing at all of what consumers would know. Buy at your own risk is simply not a workable system when dealing with drugs that interact in an immensely complex fashion with the way that your body and mind operate. And that's only mentioning risks from drugs - determining their efficacy through the free market is what led to snake oil literally being sold as medicine. Without strong regulations how is a consumer to know the risk, and how are they to know the efficacy beyond what corporations' marketing departments say? Hell, how are doctors supposed to know unless medication is required to undergo rigorous control studies prior to approval. The FDA exists because precisely the system you described does not work. Companies would shove whatever crap they can pick up on the cheap into a bottle and sell it as a panacea, and how are consumers to tell the difference?

    It could be like what ISO 9000 or the Better Business Bureau does for corporations. It could be like what US News and World Report does for colleges. An independent body with credibility in the public's eyes.
    I think that private oversight would be much more likely to go the way of finance ratings agencies. The pharmaceutical industry is already to close to the government for the consumer's good, and if they were directly paying the people charged with overseeing them I don't see anything positive coming from that situation.

    All drugs could be legal and "use at your own risk," but independent agencies could certify how effective their treatments are, and how much evidence there is for those claims.
    And where would that agency get its money? I see two possibilities. It could be publicly funded, in which case it would be the FDA, or its certifications could be payed for by the companies wishing to get their drugs certified, in which case you end up with the medical equivalent of AAA rated CDS's, which would have as disastrous effects on public health as the econopocalypse did on the economy.

    Like you said, the pharmaceutical industry has a huge amount of influence over the government. They would have much less influence over a watchdog group...particularly if there were rival watchdogs ready to attack their credibility at the first sign of a conflict of interest.
    I can't imagine how they would have less influence over a private agency if they were said agency's sole customers. Even if they did, I don't see any benefit in moving drug oversight to the private realm.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    They're banned? Really?! Is that just in London, or nationwide?

    I'm guessing because the British government somehow views the leprechaun as "hate speech"?
    Sugar content if i remember correctly.

    Seriously, you cannot buy it anywhere. [And i have looked] Nationwide i think.
    It's on one of these lists for the Govt on what not to allow probably. lol
    Last edited by Laila; 05-13-09 at 05:58 PM.


  8. #28
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,442

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jovial One View Post
    It's like a dog whistle. Drudge tells the conservatives what they should be outraged about, and doggone it -- they're OUTRAGED.

    FDA. FOOD and Drug Administration.

    Cheerios makes claims that are not supported by fact. Since the FOOD and Drug Administration is responsible for making sure medical claims are substantiated, this is entirely within their pervue.

    Seriously -- some of you cats need to stop using your heads as suppositories.
    Was anyone really outraged?
    Thank you

  9. #29
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,442

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I have always wanted to taste that but it's banned here
    Its just like anything with those hardened marshmellows.

    America has aisles in the supercenter markets dedicated to them.

    List of cereals


    Possibly a helpful link to the Lucky Charms challenged.
    Why cant we buy Lucky Charms cereal in Britain?
    Last edited by akyron; 05-13-09 at 06:08 PM.
    Thank you

  10. #30
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Popular cereal is a drug, US food watchdog says

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Its just like anything with those hardened marshmellows.

    America has aisles in the supercenter markets dedicated to them.

    List of cereals
    I don't eat cereal much but it's like a forbidden fruit. I'd just like to try it once at least lol

    And damn you have alot of cereals o.O


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •