Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 100

Thread: Soda Tax

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Sorry, I meant something that helps the most amount of people as possible overall. It is basically impossible for one action to help everyone individually the maxinum amount possible.
    It's not the government's job to "help" people.

    It's even more not the government's job to "help" people using someone else's money.

    If a citizen wants to help another, he can use his own money, or politely ask others to join him.

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    So once again, unless freedom helps people overall (or in the future) then there is no reason to support it.
    The purpose of freedom isn't to "help" people.

    Freedom is it's own purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    There is no exceptions to that rule, and I think absolutist thinking about freedom is harmful by not being focused on what helps people the most.
    Am I the ONLY person on this board that's seen "Singing in the Rain"?

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    It's not the government's job to "help" people.
    Tell that to all the conservatives that support Drugs being illegal.

  3. #73
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    It's not the government's job to "help" people.

    It's even more not the government's job to "help" people using someone else's money.

    If a citizen wants to help another, he can use his own money, or politely ask others to join him.



    The purpose of freedom isn't to "help" people.

    Freedom is it's own purpose.



    Am I the ONLY person on this board that's seen "Singing in the Rain"?
    I think the goal of people should have is freedome AND happiness for the most amount of people as possible.

    You just need to watch out if your own freedom doesn't reduce someone else's own freedome or happiness. thats all.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Tell that to all the conservatives that support Drugs being illegal.
    I have.

    Conservatives are right more often than those on the left, who are never right.

    Conservatives aren't right all the time.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    I think the goal of people should have is freedome AND happiness for the most amount of people as possible.

    You just need to watch out if your own freedom doesn't reduce someone else's own freedome or happiness. thats all.
    The goal of people is to have the freedom to set their own damn goals.

    The limits to freedom are that exercise of someone's freedom should not interfere with someone else's similar freedom. However, that does not mean people should be robbed, since that violates their freedom.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I have.

    Conservatives are right more often than those on the left, who are never right.

    Conservatives aren't right all the time.
    Yeah not partisan hackery on your end lol.

    Yet you vote in and IMMORTALIZE people like Regan that believed in the war on drugs. Show your hypocrisy elsewhere please.

  7. #77
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Tell that to all the conservatives that support Drugs being illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I have.
    And so have I, it's time for people on our side to start living our beliefs, not throwing them out as rhetoric.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    And so have I, it's time for people on our side to start living our beliefs, not throwing them out as rhetoric.
    About time? You are about 3 decades short there.

  9. #79
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Soda Tax

    [quote=nerv14;1058024748]
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post

    I am not claiming that if freedom doesn't help people, then that should be prevented. There is no reason to waste time preventing something if it doesn't harm others.

    I am simply saying that if freedom HARMS most people overall then it should be prevented.
    What's the point of preventing people from harming THEMSELVES. Liberty comes with consequences, but less so than government "security".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What's the point of preventing people from harming THEMSELVES. Liberty comes with consequences, but less so than government "security".
    And yet the so called conservative savior REGAN did not agree with your cause however, conservatives love to spout off about regan and free ideals.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •