Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: Soda Tax

  1. #61
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Soda Tax

    The sad thing is the precedent for this sort of nanny state control was set by so called sin taxes on tobbaco and alcohol. I've argued many times with anti-smoking zealots that their logic and justifications could easily be applied to unhealthy foods. They usually laughed it off or said it would never happen. I hope they enjoy the precedent they helped create.

    Sometimes I hate to be right.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    The sad thing is the precedent for this sort of nanny state control was set by so called sin taxes on tobbaco and alcohol. I've argued many times with anti-smoking zealots that their logic and justifications could easily be applied to unhealthy foods. They usually laughed it off or said it would never happen. I hope they enjoy the precedent they helped create.

    Sometimes I hate to be right.
    I figure that after we have seen people say its a slippery slope, that maybe just maybe its a valid argument now.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #63
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Stealing money from someone restricts his freedom and helps him not. Therefore your argument that it helps everyone is obviously false.
    Sorry, I meant something that helps the most amount of people as possible overall. It is basically impossible for one action to help everyone individually the maxinum amount possible.

    So once again, unless freedom helps people overall (or in the future) then there is no reason to support it.

    There is no exceptions to that rule, and I think absolutist thinking about freedom is harmful by not being focused on what helps people the most.

  4. #64
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Soda Tax

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post

    So once again, unless freedom helps people overall (or in the future) then there is no reason to support it.
    False, to regulate freedom away from someone just because it has no societal benefit is tyranny, if my personal choices are bad for me or my family, they are mine and mine alone to correct, not some idiot in Washington, or the state government, or a local council. Freedoms should only be restricted when they pose a clear, present, and imminent danger to those around, like say.........threatening someone with violence, or other abuses of the natural rights of man.

    There is no exceptions to that rule, and I think absolutist thinking about freedom is harmful by not being focused on what helps people the most.
    I don't know how you formed this opinion, but it is patently false. Freedom breeds innovation, it breeds knowledge, and wisdom. Don't misinterpret that to mean freedom needs to be justified however, because frankly if I want to do something that hurts no one else, then it is no one else's place to commentate, or ban that behavior.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #65
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    The sad thing is the precedent for this sort of nanny state control was set by so called sin taxes on tobbaco and alcohol. I've argued many times with anti-smoking zealots that their logic and justifications could easily be applied to unhealthy foods. They usually laughed it off or said it would never happen. I hope they enjoy the precedent they helped create.

    Sometimes I hate to be right.
    Government moves slowly, incrementally, and self-righteously. Any student of psychology understands the principles upon which groups of individuals can be manipulated when they are made to feel as if change is for their own good. The concepts of liberty and independence are obfuscated and the issues are presented to the citizens in a vacuum. Either you are for Welfare, or you hate poor people. Either you are for Medicare, or you want sick people to die. Either you are for affirmative action, or you are a racist. Either you are for the Inheritance Tax, or you are for Profit over People. The feeble minded, the ignorant, and the naive, are organized into identity groups, and preyed upon by politicians that have only their own obsession with power as the fuel and motor behind their actions.
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  6. #66
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Soda Tax

    I'm all for a soda tax. bring it on.

  7. #67
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    I'm all for a soda tax. bring it on.
    Just out of curiosity, why are you for it?
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Soda Tax

    Frankly I'm VERY curious on aps's stance on this as possibly the most outspoken and loudest proponent of the "punish the smokers" type campaigns by government.

  9. #69
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Soda Tax

    [quote=LaMidRighter;1058023787]
    False, to regulate freedom away from someone just because it has no societal benefit is tyranny, if my personal choices are bad for me or my family, they are mine and mine alone to correct, not some idiot in Washington, or the state government, or a local council. Freedoms should only be restricted when they pose a clear, present, and imminent danger to those around, like say.........threatening someone with violence, or other abuses of the natural rights of man.

    I don't know how you formed this opinion, but it is patently false. Freedom breeds innovation, it breeds knowledge, and wisdom. Don't misinterpret that to mean freedom needs to be justified however, because frankly if I want to do something that hurts no one else, then it is no one else's place to commentate, or ban that behavior.
    I am not claiming that if freedom doesn't help people, then that should be prevented. There is no reason to waste time preventing something if it doesn't harm others.

    I am simply saying that if freedom HARMS most people overall then it should be prevented.
    Last edited by nerv14; 05-14-09 at 04:16 PM.

  10. #70
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Soda Tax

    I saw this explained on the local news last night and after watching it I've gotta say that IF we decide to move forward with a health care plan that has a higher public cost THEN I'd be for the soda tax. It makes sense and its so freaking small it makes a negligible impact on people's daily lives but a huge impact when it comes to the gov't budget.

    Soda contributes to the obesity problem we have in America. Its not the only factor, but it does contribute. The obesity problem contributes to the higher health care costs we face. Its not the only factor, but it does contribute. This tax will help pay for some of those added costs, once again not all but some. To me it seems like some of the added costs would then be paid by those who are responsible for the higher health costs.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •