Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 100

Thread: Soda Tax

  1. #51
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Are there any facts to support such emotional hyperbole?
    Dude, I just had one below when I made my statement.

    No government is the most freedom but it is bad for everyone.

    Therefore, freedom isn't everything.

    Freedom is great because it normally helps everyone as a whole, but we should just be aware when it is harmful.


    If you just believe in something like freedom to its extreme without any reason, then that would be emotional hyperbole if I ever did see one.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    Going to be alot of these lil "not really a tax tax" in the future.


    Democrats don't seem to have the ability to stand up and put their names to the major tax increases they want and likely require with their spending splurge. So as usual they pull this stuff.

    See the tax isn't really a tax tax and besides its for your own good against the EVIL sugar people.

    Same basic line they use against..rich people, oil companies, banks, car companies, the 'corporations'.. you name it.
    I find it amusing when I watch Democrat HYPOCRITES who when Bush was in charge argued for tax increases but when THEY are in charge run from the words for their political lives.

    If tax increases were so acceptable under Bush, why then are they so desperate to avoid it now?

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    No government is the most freedom but it is bad for everyone.
    This makes no sense whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Therefore, freedom isn't everything.
    Who is claiming Freedom is "everything?" How can a concept be "everything?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Freedom is great because it normally helps everyone as a whole, but we should just be aware when it is harmful.
    This is patently absurd; Freedom doesn't "help" anyone. Freedom has to be defined and the kind I am talking about is the freedom that allows people to HELP themselves by having the freedom to CHOOSE and do what makes them happy within certain legal limitations; punching me in the nose may make you happy, but it violates my rights.

    When Government dictates who you will buy cars from; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates where you get your health insurance; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates which industries will be the winners in this economy; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates how much an employer can pay employees; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government decides to confiscate some of your wages to tre-distribute it to those they deem needier; you lose freedom of choice.

    All of these acts, and many more Obama and the Liberal Democrats believe in lead to an erosion of your freedoms, your choices and eventually to mediocrity and lower standards of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    If you just believe in something like freedom to its extreme without any reason, then that would be emotional hyperbole if I ever did see one.
    Emotional hyperbole would be an apt description of your arguments here.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    When Government dictates who you will buy cars from; you lose freedom of choice.
    And that is not happening. I buy whatever car I want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    When Government dictates where you get your health insurance; you lose freedom of choice.
    Hasn't happened so you are just throwing another mantrum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    When Government dictates which industries will be the winners in this economy; you lose freedom of choice.
    Hmmmm Bailouts happened under Bush, so this isn't a Dem trait.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    When Government dictates how much an employer can pay employees; you lose freedom of choice.
    And which REPUBLICAN or CONSERVATIVE president has abolished the min wage? Oh yeah, NONE, they ALL Republican/conservative/Dem/Liberal believe in the Min wage. Another mantrum from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    When Government decides to confiscate some of your wages to tre-distribute it to those they deem needier; you lose freedom of choice.
    Again, which president in the past 50 years has not done this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    All of these acts, and many more Obama and the Liberal Democrats believe in lead to an erosion of your freedoms, your choices and eventually to mediocrity and lower standards of living.
    And your final mantrum, you CONVENIENTLY forget to add that EVERY REPUBLICAN president has also supported it by not doing anything about it.

    You are dismissed, continue with the mantrum if you'd like.

    Still waiting for you to actually show TRUTH instead of mantrums, hyperbole, and bile.

  5. #55
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This makes no sense whatever.



    Who is claiming Freedom is "everything?" How can a concept be "everything?"



    This is patently absurd; Freedom doesn't "help" anyone. Freedom has to be defined and the kind I am talking about is the freedom that allows people to HELP themselves by having the freedom to CHOOSE and do what makes them happy within certain legal limitations; punching me in the nose may make you happy, but it violates my rights.

    When Government dictates who you will buy cars from; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates where you get your health insurance; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates which industries will be the winners in this economy; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government dictates how much an employer can pay employees; you lose freedom of choice.

    When Government decides to confiscate some of your wages to tre-distribute it to those they deem needier; you lose freedom of choice.

    All of these acts, and many more Obama and the Liberal Democrats believe in lead to an erosion of your freedoms, your choices and eventually to mediocrity and lower standards of living.



    Emotional hyperbole would be an apt description of your arguments here.
    and the reason we don't have many of those (or shouldn't have them) is because they have bad outcomes for everyone, not because they would restrict freedom.

    and you are missing the point, if a lack of freedom erodes our standard of living then that is bad, but you against all restriction of freedom even if they help everyone.

    Think about why you support freedom and why you don't. It seems like your reasons don't have to do with freedom anyway.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What business is it of mine? The right as a consumer to know what is in the products I buy.
    That's informed consent and advertising. The topic was legislative control of sweetener levels in beverages.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And that is not happening. I buy whatever car I want to.

    Hasn't happened so you are just throwing another mantrum.

    Hmmmm Bailouts happened under Bush, so this isn't a Dem trait.

    And which REPUBLICAN or CONSERVATIVE president has abolished the min wage? Oh yeah, NONE, they ALL Republican/conservative/Dem/Liberal believe in the Min wage. Another mantrum from you.

    Again, which president in the past 50 years has not done this?

    And your final mantrum, you CONVENIENTLY forget to add that EVERY REPUBLICAN president has also supported it by not doing anything about it.

    You are dismissed, continue with the mantrum if you'd like.

    Still waiting for you to actually show TRUTH instead of mantrums, hyperbole, and bile.
    Good lord, why do you feel compelled to act like a grade school child all the time?

    Got a strawman?

    NEWSFLASH for NextEra: Republicans aren't in charge anymore.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    and the reason we don't have many of those (or shouldn't have them) is because they have bad outcomes for everyone, not because they would restrict freedom.

    and you are missing the point, if a lack of freedom erodes our standard of living then that is bad, but you against all restriction of freedom even if they help everyone.

    Think about why you support freedom and why you don't. It seems like your reasons don't have to do with freedom anyway.

    Stealing money from someone restricts his freedom and helps him not. Therefore your argument that it helps everyone is obviously false.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Stealing money from someone restricts his freedom and helps him not. Therefore your argument that it helps everyone is obviously false.
    I don't think we can call it stealing; lets call it legal theft or "confiscation" but it all leads to the same thing, someone working hard only to have someone take it away for their own use and political purposes.

    It is one thing to support Government for the efforts to defend the nation and manage it's legal process; it is quite another when it is taken to pander to another group of people purely for the purpose to politically pander for their votes.

    Many on the Liberal side are having difficulty comprehending this fairly simple concept because of their intolerance and arrogance.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Soda Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Good lord, why do you feel compelled to act like a grade school child all the time?
    Onl;y commenting in YOUR fashion that you do others. Why do you feel compelled to do the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    NEWSFLASH for NextEra: Republicans aren't in charge anymore.
    As usual you avoid the truth. You were trying to say that Obama did all of those things which in the first two he hasn't.

    Why do you feel compelled to LIE?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •