Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 116

Thread: Chavez seizes oil service firms

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It is only an insult if one strives to adhere to Scarecrow's subjective (and therefore irrelevant) definition of "American".
    I understand political differences but that is going to far, bordering on mod action.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    I understand political differences but that is going to far, bordering on mod action.
    What I have said, or what he has said?

    If you meant what I have said, then I disagree completely. The entire notion of what it means to be "American" is entirely subjective, to the point of individual subjectivity, and is therefore ultimately meaningless to anyone else (aside from where others versions of "American" overlap, of course).

    If you meant what he said, who cares? It's not like anyone is going to take him seriously.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 05-11-09 at 05:11 PM.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    What I have said, or what he has said?
    What he said, hell you and I have gotten into heated debates but I don't think we ever outright insulted each other.

    Great impression for our new members.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Student The Jovial One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    07-20-09 @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    160

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I've stated facts.

    Do you feel insulted when people state facts?
    So, the objective and "factual" qualification for being an "American" is "agreeing with Scarecrow"?

    Another fail.
    When you can't win an election outside of the south or mountain west, the answer to your problems is NOT "more of the same, but LOUDER!!!"


  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    USSR had elections. Warsaw Pact nations had elections. Cuba has elections. China has elections. North Korea has elections. etc.

  6. #36
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Maybe your standards are failing, but the Americans' stantards are not. Then again, not one American voted for Obama, so maybe you're just not sure of who we are anymore.

    The Germans loved Hitler, all the way until he started WWII. Even after that it took them a while to figure out the problem.

    Why should peasants in Venezueala be different from educated Germans?
    So what I got from your post was:

    1. If you voted from Obama you are unAmerican (oxymoron anyone?)

    2. Popular leaders can lead to tyranny/dictatorships/etc.

    I suppose #2 is fine. Nothing really wrong with your logic as long as you realize the reverse is also true, that popular leaders are sometimes JUST popular. Nothing evil in the works.

    #1 is ridiculous. I thought we moved past the whole un-american/patriotic nonsense but apparently not.

    Did I interpret your post incorrectly?
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  7. #37
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    USSR had elections. Warsaw Pact nations had elections. Cuba has elections. China has elections. North Korea has elections. etc.
    So your implying that the elections are inadequate? How so? Also the word authoritarianism has been throw around alot in this thread. I dont think this is accurate as an authoritarian system is one in which political particiapation is limited and/or controlled. I dont see any evidence of this in Venuzuela.

  8. #38
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    How is he a "fine president"? Most of his administration's fiscal policies are going to be devastating to the economy, to the point where they could be (probably will be) irreversible.
    Unlike the conservative policies that have done such a great job so far?
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Unlike the conservative policies that have done such a great job so far?
    Quite the contrary; just like them, actually.

  10. #40
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Chavez seizes oil service firms

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jovial One View Post
    Teh Stoopid is RIFE amongst our forum conservatives, it would seem.
    It is pretty RIFE among the libs as well, so no foul here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •