Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

  1. #21
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    And he should wait because, why? Because the rich employ people? I thought the con position was that it's a function of corporate taxation?
    cause increasing taxes takes money away from the private sector. thats not good for the economy, and the economy can't take much harmful government actions for it

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is exactly why I find it so disingenuous to hear supply-siders say "We can't raise taxes during a recession." Because you make exactly the same argument during economic booms or any other time. If you don't want higher taxes, you can just say so without pretending like your feeling on the subject has anything at all to do with the economy.
    Then again, since they're right and it's bad to raise taxes, clearly the problem with government is too much spending.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    cause increasing taxes takes money away from the private sector. thats not good for the economy, and the economy can't take much harmful government actions for it
    increasing tax on those individuals that make more than 250k. when you say the "private sector" do you mean private corporations or the public? Joe-I make 5 million a year-CEO doesn't not stop spending money in a down economy. In fact people with money spend more in a down ecomony because goods and services and real estate are less expensive and they take advantage of that. My Father is looking at buying more farmland right now because he has money and the prices are cheap. My neighbor just bought 3 used cars because they were "in distress", my cousin just took a 3 week trip to Europe, my father-in-law just came back from visiting family in France, my brother-in-law just bought a single engine plane at a great price...

  4. #24
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    increasing tax on those individuals that make more than 250k. when you say the "private sector" do you mean private corporations or the public? Joe-I make 5 million a year-CEO doesn't not stop spending money in a down economy. In fact people with money spend more in a down ecomony because goods and services and real estate are less expensive and they take advantage of that. My Father is looking at buying more farmland right now because he has money and the prices are cheap. My neighbor just bought 3 used cars because they were "in distress", my cousin just took a 3 week trip to Europe, my father-in-law just came back from visiting family in France, my brother-in-law just bought a single engine plane at a great price...
    Do you have any large survey that rich people spent more in an recession? I thought it was common knowedge that the opposite is happening.

    One problem in this recession is that the even rich people who don't need to cut spending, are doing so anyway.

    And what does that have to do with taxes anyway??

    anyway by what you were saying, we should really not increase taxes on the rich because that will reduce the money that they would surely spend to help the economy.
    Last edited by nerv14; 05-12-09 at 12:03 AM.

  5. #25
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Not seriously. Obama was the most unvetted candidate to run for president.
    It's true, but there were enough signals.

    The signals were rarely followed up on by the press, and McCain given opportunities galore to keep Obama busy defending his hard left ways and associations did little to nothing.

    But a half assed observant voter had enough goods to make an informed choice about the the radical leftist running for POTUS.

    It took one bimbo to nuke Gary Hart.

    Obama had no bimbo's with breasts, but he left a trail of bimbo ideas and statements, verbally and through his books, the equivalent of being one big blonde joke.

    Wright and Ayers; these two are pure poison, and he sought them out. What type of judgment does a man have to associate themselves with these radical dolts.
    Bitter clingers.
    Spread the wealth around.
    His voting record in the Senate.
    Defending and pushing for infanticide.
    His getting schooled by Gibson about wanting to raise Cap Gains.
    Referencing actions taken by US troops as terrorism.
    His ACORN association.

    The tip of the iceberg.

    These alone were enough fodder to have enabled McCain to hammer his opponent relentlessly, and drag the press screaming and kicking to reporting it.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-12-09 at 02:19 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #26
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Most rich democrats knew that they would be paying more taxes if Obama won, so why should any of them be surprised?
    Exactly. I don't have a problem with the higher taxes.

  7. #27
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Where the heck did Obama get that $250K number?

    Having the highest tax bracket at 40% but with it only applying to income over $1 million would be far more realistic. $250K in some places really isn't all that much.

    It could be worse. 1987 was 38.5% starting on $90,000. Yikes. 1944 was 91% on a mere $200,000. Good god.

    Top US Marginal Income Tax Rates, 1913--2003 (TruthAndPolitics.org)
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    Do you have any large survey that rich people spent more in an recession? I thought it was common knowedge that the opposite is happening.
    Nope, just life experience, common sense and the ability to look around.

    One problem in this recession is that the even rich people who don't need to cut spending, are doing so anyway.
    Yes, I'm sure some rich people are only vacationing in the Bahamas instead of the French Riviera. Booohoooo

    And what does that have to do with taxes anyway??
    You said don't raise taxes on rich people because they spend money...

    anyway by what you were saying, we should really not increase taxes on the rich because that will reduce the money that they would surely spend to help the economy.
    Of course not, we should never raise taxes on anyone. In fact we should do away with taxes altogether!! Then we would all lead fulfilling lives... who needs a police and fire department or a library or unemployment or social security or road maintenance, or clean water...

    When we all wake up from the garden of eden fantasy we'll realize that someone has to pay for the new cool fighter jet that's over budget or the missle defense shield or your granny's SS check or the war in iraq and afghanistan and troops spread out all over the world protecting our corporate interests... So shouldn't the people who benefited the most pay the most? Hasn't the corporate tax as well as the tax on the rich been much higher in the past and didn't we do alright, for 220+ years?

  9. #29
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Barack Obama's rich supporters fear his tax plans show he's a class warrior

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Nope, just life experience, common sense and the ability to look around.


    Yes, I'm sure some rich people are only vacationing in the Bahamas instead of the French Riviera. Booohoooo


    You said don't raise taxes on rich people because they spend money...


    Of course not, we should never raise taxes on anyone. In fact we should do away with taxes altogether!! Then we would all lead fulfilling lives... who needs a police and fire department or a library or unemployment or social security or road maintenance, or clean water...

    When we all wake up from the garden of eden fantasy we'll realize that someone has to pay for the new cool fighter jet that's over budget or the missle defense shield or your granny's SS check or the war in iraq and afghanistan and troops spread out all over the world protecting our corporate interests... So shouldn't the people who benefited the most pay the most? Hasn't the corporate tax as well as the tax on the rich been much higher in the past and didn't we do alright, for 220+ years?
    Odviously, policies should be based on real numbers and not what some people think that they see around them. Thats why having the "guy who I can drink a beer with" Bush didn't work out so well. The issues require large amounts of information that a single person can't go out and find on their own.


    Of course someone needs to pay taxes, but right now since we are in a recession we should keep that to a mininum.

    If anything, cutting portions of the stimulus package that doesn't help the economy will "pay" for new airplanes better then increased taxes on the rich.

    and don't argue a strawman. I am not some libertopia ideologue. We need taxes to pay for things like SS and the war in Iraq. However, we can BORROW for that now, and there is spending that can be cut untill we have to ballance the budget later.

    I am not sure what you mean by the corporate tax and taxes on the rich being higher in the past 220 years... before the Wilson we didn't really even have an income tax.
    Last edited by nerv14; 05-12-09 at 08:55 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •