Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

  1. #1
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-11-13 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Huffington Post

    President Obama's 2010 budget, released this afternoon, eliminates federal funding for a range of abstinence-only education programs.

    Here's a release from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy:

    President Obama released his FY 2010 budget today and called for at least $164 million in funding for a new teen pregnancy prevention initiative. This includes competitive grants for evidence-based programs, research and evaluation, and an authorization for $50 million in new mandatory teen pregnancy prevention grants to states, tribes, and territories. The budget eliminates funding for Community-Based Abstinence Education and the mandatory Title V Abstinence Education program.
    Finally!

  2. #2
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Wow....finally a President who isn't afraid of education.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #3
    User AYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    07-17-10 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    39

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Wow... finally...

  4. #4
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    I've always been amazed at people that do not support the one proven method birth control and STD spreading.

    OH THAT'S right, because it requires people to use "self restraint" and they get held "responsible" for their actions.

    Something the above posters seem to have an allergic reaction to.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I've always been amazed at people that do not support the one proven method birth control and STD spreading.
    Yes, because the government spending money to tell people to not have sex has proven to be soooo efficient.

  6. #6
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I've always been amazed at people that do not support the one proven method birth control and STD spreading.
    Say what?

    Can you define "proven?"

    "At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.
    FOXNews.com - Study Finds Abstinence-Only Programs Fail to Reduce Teen Sexual Behavior - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

    And yes, that's Fox News.

    I do think it's funny how the state that has gotten some of the most money, Texas has one of the highest STD and teen pregnancy rates.

    Proven method you say Mr. V?

    Well, if you're trying to prove that these programs are a colossal waste of money that actually results in the opposite effect of what you want, sure.

    OH THAT'S right, because it requires people to use "self restraint" and they get held "responsible" for their actions.

    Something the above posters seem to have an allergic reaction to.
    Generally, it helps you if you read first what people write instead of just assuming whatever you want. What Obama did was cut funding for programs that have certifiably failed to reduce teen pregnancy and STDs. That does not mean we remove all abstinence ideas from sexual education.

    For someone who decries federal waste, why are you promoting such programs when they do not work? That's worse then waste. At least waste generally gets something done. These programs utterly fail at their primary objective.

    Furthermore, several studies have concluded that Abstinence-Only is actually WORSE as it does not factually teach kids reality. Explain to me how you expect our kids to make good choices when they are deliberately fed lies?

    Abstinence-only sex education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by obvious Child; 05-07-09 at 11:21 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, because the government spending money to tell people to not have sex has proven to be soooo efficient.
    With all the societal messages from people like yourself saying "go ahead, just be safe about it?"

    I was a virgin till I met my first wife and got married. I had parents that stressed the dangers, while handing me boxes of condoms. Guess what, if they had left it at "just have sex, be safe" I might have made a big mistake.


    Abstinence education needs responsible adults/parents not enabling "friends".
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Say what?

    Can you define "proven?"



    FOXNews.com - Study Finds Abstinence-Only Programs Fail to Reduce Teen Sexual Behavior - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

    And yes, that's Fox News.

    I do think it's funny how the state that has gotten some of the most money, Texas has one of the highest STD and teen pregnancy rates.

    Proven method you say Mr. V?

    Well, if you're trying to prove that these programs are a colossal waste of money that actually results in the opposite effect of what you want, sure.



    Generally, it helps you if you read first what people write instead of just assuming whatever you want. What Obama did was cut funding for programs that have certifiably failed to reduce teen pregnancy and STDs. That does not mean we remove all abstinence ideas from sexual education.

    For someone who decries federal waste, why are you promoting such programs when they do not work? That's worse then waste. At least waste generally gets something done. These programs utterly fail at their primary objective.

    Furthermore, several studies have concluded that Abstinence-Only is actually WORSE as it does not factually teach kids reality. Explain to me how you expect our kids to make good choices when they are deliberately fed lies?

    Abstinence-only sex education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hey OC, WHEN practiced, it works 100% of the time.

    Enabling adults that push "have sex, use a condom"... you're the reason it fails.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Hey OC, WHEN practiced, it works 100% of the time.
    Ya but it's rarely practiced. And abstinence-only education misleads people into believing that birth control is not effective, so when they DON'T practice abstinence they are less likely to use contraception.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio
    Enabling adults that push "have sex, use a condom"... you're the reason it fails.
    Right. It's all the parents' fault that their kids don't wait until they're 45 to have sex. It's not hardwired into human biology or anything.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    With all the societal messages from people like yourself saying "go ahead, just be safe about it?"

    I was a virgin till I met my first wife and got married. I had parents that stressed the dangers, while handing me boxes of condoms. Guess what, if they had left it at "just have sex, be safe" I might have made a big mistake.

    Abstinence education needs responsible adults/parents not enabling "friends".
    So you married the first chick who gave you head. Now show us how your anecdotal evidence proves that abstinence only education actually works.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •