Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

  1. #71
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Every statistic I have seen on the matter points to a dramatic increase in teen births since the 1960s.

    2008 Indicators of Welfare Dependence: Predictors and Risk Factors Associated with Welfare Receipt
    Nonmarital Births:


    For unmarried teens ages 15-19:


    Of course, this is to say nothing of rising abortion rates, which by nature lower birth rates.
    Well, also, don't we need to take into account the time period? in the 1950's, especially in the rural areas, it wasn't THAT uncommon for young girls to get married early. For example: My great great Aunt was married at 18 to a man who was 36. We call that: "weird", and "borderline-pedophelia"; however, back in that time period, it was called "A happy couple", so of course we would expect wed pregnancies to be a little higher prior to the 60's and 70's.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Liberals promote irresponsibility.
    Conservatives promote ignorance.

    Now that we have dispensed with the idiotic partisan hackery, do you have anything of substance to add to the thread?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    I agree with this move.

    I support including abstinence in sex education, and I also support educating youth on modern advents in protection in order to support their choices. Basically, any education that supports choices in this department, I am in favour of.

    As a personal anecdote... when I was 12 I received my first sex ed class and to be honest the whole idea of sex scared me. I clinged adamently to the abstinence idea because I was just too young to really understand the gravity of sex. Then as I got older and good old hormones kicked in, my interest in sex peaked and I pretty much tossed the idea of abstinence out... and it was at that time that the idea of protective methods somewhat automatically kicked in.

    It's possible to have a sex life that is healthy, based on your choices in partners, having committed relationships, and choosing your intimate moments carefully. For people who are moderate in their sexual lives, having knowledge about self-protection is utterly essential. Abstinence only education does not provide that and I do not support its ignorant, morality-based agenda.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    I agree with this move.

    I support including abstinence in sex education, and I also support educating youth on modern advents in protection in order to support their choices. Basically, any education that supports choices in this department, I am in favour of.

    As a personal anecdote... when I was 12 I received my first sex ed class and to be honest the whole idea of sex scared me. I clinged adamently to the abstinence idea because I was just too young to really understand the gravity of sex. Then as I got older and good old hormones kicked in, my interest in sex peaked and I pretty much tossed the idea of abstinence out... and it was at that time that the idea of protective methods somewhat automatically kicked in.

    It's possible to have a sex life that is healthy, based on your choices in partners, having committed relationships, and choosing your intimate moments carefully. For people who are moderate in their sexual lives, having knowledge about self-protection is utterly essential. Abstinence only education does not provide that and I do not support its ignorant, morality-based agenda.

  5. #75
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Wow. Babies were allowed to be born in 1950, and YOU'RE claiming victory because today's society KILLS them instead?
    I knew you were going to say that. Look at the graph.



    Nearly ALL of the birth rate decline since the 1950s occurred BEFORE Roe v Wade. It's been pretty much level since then. Try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Oh, and gee...look....of the 90 teens that in the fifties that were pregnant, only ...ummm....14% were unmarried...that means...13 girls were unwed and knocked up....let's see..
    And that has what to do with abstinence? Your argument was that abstinence-only education (and a society that approved of abstinence) meant fewer teen pregnancies. Now you're changing your argument. Do you really think this "make it up as you go along" style of debate is effective?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-09-09 at 01:43 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Wait, this was my initial reaction when I first looked at the data too. But then I realized that the age range for the data was 15-19!!! Jesus Christ! Only 10% of girls over the age of 19 were unmarried?!? And some were in the age range of 15! How on earth could that be a good thing? I fully support the lowered teenage pregnancies and to hell with the higher rate of unwed mothers. To me the damage of forcing that many young teenagers into marriage just to avoid the shame of having a child out of wedlock is ridiculous and is drastically worse than the impact the unwed mothers will have on society.

    then, again, maybe you could read the data and realize that it's not saying teen pregnancies have been lowered. It's saying live births have been lowered. But only marginally, and the number of unwed teen momma's grew by a staggering amount, thanks to the policies of the left.

    You're making assumptions regarding the basis of the marriage that are not found in the data provided, and are thus irrelevant to the discussion.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I knew you were going to say that. Look at the graph.
    Yeah, of course you did. That's why you posted it, to show us that your policies are wonderful because they've led to a 300% increase in births among unwed female teenagers.

    No wait, you're totally ignoring that part and pretending it wasn't said.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Nearly ALL of the birth rate decline since the 1950s occurred BEFORE Roe v Wade. It's been pretty much level since then. Try again.
    Correctly interpreted, the number of unwed female teen momma's began to increase as soon as the free love nonsense of the sixties became popular.

    What a coincidence! More sex turns into more babies.

    The real cause of the decline commenced in the 1950's, before Sex Ed? The "birth control pill".

    What a concept.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And that has what to do with abstinence? Your argument was that abstinence-only education (and a society that approved of abstinence) meant fewer teen pregnancies.
    Nope, never been in favor of abstinence-only education, totally assinine concept, almost as foolish as believing socialism is good for you.

    Clearly less sex equals less risk of getting knocked up. You gonna argue with that?

    Clearly the current educational trend of telling them everything and keeping the discussion absolutely and positively sterile of any moral ramifications has led to ....more sex, more pregnancies, more single teen mothers and WAY MORE abortions.

    What's needed is a sex education program that teaches morals as well as mechanics.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 05-09-09 at 04:41 PM.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I've always been amazed at people that do not support the one proven method birth control and STD spreading.

    OH THAT'S right, because it requires people to use "self restraint" and they get held "responsible" for their actions.

    Something the above posters seem to have an allergic reaction to.
    Proven by whom? Bob Jones University??

    May I suggest some "reading" of current studies on the subject and some further "critical thinking" on your part?

  9. #79
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yeah, of course you did. That's why you posted it, to show us that your policies are wonderful because they've led to a 300% increase in births among unwed female teenagers.

    No wait, you're totally ignoring that part and pretending it wasn't said.
    Because it WASN'T said. Your argument was that "Leave It To Beaver" morality = fewer teen pregnancies. I completely demolished your argument. Now you're trying to pretend that your argument was about something else entirely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Correctly interpreted, the number of unwed female teen momma's began to increase as soon as the free love nonsense of the sixties became popular.

    What a coincidence! More sex turns into more babies.
    Do you not know how to read graphs? The birth rate has DECLINED since the 1950s. And do you have any actual evidence that teenagers have more sex now than they did in the 1950s?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    The real cause of the decline commenced in the 1950's, before Sex Ed? The "birth control pill".
    No ****ing kidding. That's the whole point. It's exactly why one teaches people about contraception, not bull**** about how sex makes Jesus cry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Nope, never been in favor of abstinence-only education, totally assinine concept, almost as foolish as believing socialism is good for you.
    Then why don't you shut your mouth instead of creating pointless arguments that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Clearly less sex equals less risk of getting knocked up. You gonna argue with that?
    And what does that have to do with abstinence-only education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    Clearly the current educational trend of telling them everything and keeping the discussion absolutely and positively sterile of any moral ramifications has led to ....more sex, more pregnancies, more single teen mothers and WAY MORE abortions.
    More sex - Show some evidence of this.
    More pregnancies - Show some evidence of this.
    More single teen mothers - Irrelevant to the subject at hand.
    More abortions - Show some evidence of this, as well as a reason why I should care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar
    What's needed is a sex education program that teaches morals as well as mechanics.
    Who's morals? Yours? I'd rather not have kids learn morals from someone who says "If they can't afford health care, let them die" and refers to the President of the United States as "The Kenyan."
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-09-09 at 08:05 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #80
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Eliminates Abstinence-Only Funding In Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Every statistic I have seen on the matter points to a dramatic increase in teen births since the 1960s.
    Except those statistics only count non-martial births. It does not provide any data on total teenage births and total teenage pregnancies over the discussed time frame. I really don't see how the data you provided helps anyone in this discussion.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •