Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 127

Thread: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    John Engler was a democrat? Better not tell him that, he might be a bit peeved. Note, since your ignorance is showing, he was our governor here until 2003. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a democrat. Careful, he might terminate you for calling him that.
    Your trite and misguided condescension aside (not sure what brought this on), is John Engler the current Governor? No, he hasnít been in office since the end of 2002. Are your largest cities in the counties that have such high unemployment NOT run by Democrats and/or Democrat counties?

    This is almost as absurd as suggesting that Arnold is a Republican or even Conservative. But even if he were, even the Terminator cannot stop the senseless spending the Democrats engage in the great State of California; a state that over the last five years had an increase of 40% in revenue and still managed to spend $40 billion more than they could take in.

    John Engler was Governor from 1991 to 2002. During his tenure unemployment was at 7.6% and dropping. The current Governor who succeeded Engler since 2003 is a Democrat and unemployment is now at 12.6 %.

    How trite that you attempt to argue that Democrats are not currently responsible for the current situation in Michigan and how selective of you to attempt to argue it isnít a Democrat issue.

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Michigan]Political party strength in Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have some figures to back this up with? A quick google search found me this article, which contradicts you: U.S. economy shrinks 6.1% in Q1. From that article: "the current quarter coupled with the 6.3 percent decline in fourth-quarter 2008 ó the biggest drop in 25 years ó created the worst economy over a six-month period in 50 years, according to the U.S. Commerce Department". I showed you my figures, now you show me yours.
    Gee who was President 28 years ago that exceeded this figure? Want to try again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wat, wait...did you just say something good about Carter, a democrat? By the way, facts are not a bad thing, they are actually good, if often inconvenient to you.
    The way you are using your facts and trite condescension apparently is not serving your cause which was? To support Democrats who spend a nation into a $1.8 trillion deficit demagogue the economy for purely political gain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If I remember right, the fed raises interest rates to deal with inflation. So of course your interest rate was high, but at least property values where going up, which offsets the loan rate some. In fact, if I understand how things work right, 8 % interest on a loan with 10 % inflation means you are making money.
    I'm sorry, when do property values go UP when interest rates are high? Did you study Obamanomics?

    HIGH interest rates equate to LOWER property values/prices. We bought because the new homes that previously we could not afford had dropped in value by over $40,000.00; which in those days was a LOT for those of you studying Obamanomics. (see, two can play your condescension game)

    One can only laugh at your economic assumptions about inflation rates and interest rates; where the hell did they teach that one?

    You think that a 10% inflation rate, which is essentially the LOSS of buying power is making money on an 8% mortgage with an adjustable rate? Come back and argue when you make more sense and have had time to THINK about what it is you are saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    On your unemployment rate numbers: The Bureau of Labor Statistics says you are mistaken(note, not sure if that link will take you to the chart for Carter, you might have to enter the dates yourself). The highest monthly unemployment rate under Carter was 7.8 %.
    I see that reading comprehension is also not your forte'; I stated PEAKED at 10%, I didn't claim that it averaged 10%. Unemployment at the end of his term was at 8.5%.

    FACT: Unemployment was higher during the Carter years.
    Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
    FACT: Inflation was higher during the Carter years.
    Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present
    FACT: The term STAGFLATION indicating high unemployment combined with high inflation was coined during the Carter years.
    FACT: Mortgage Interest rates were at double digits during the Carter years. History of Interest Rates: MRC
    FACT: the OIL crises happened during the Carter years.
    FACT: foreign policy under Carter was a joke and led to the Iranian takeover of the US embassy.

    FACT: interest rates on homes are the lowest they have been in decades
    E-RATE Mortgage Rates History 1980-2008, National Average Mortgage Rates, Federal Finance Housing
    FACT: gas prices are as low in current dollars as they have ever been
    FACT: inflation is nearly non-existent
    Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present
    FACT: unemployment has not peaked past previous downturns.

    The notion that the events leading up to Obamaís election are the worst we have had since the depression requires either willful ignorance or willful denial. The REALITY is that things were MUCH worse during the late 70s and early 80s and yet, when Reagan came into office we didnít see a claim to expand the role of Government and spend us into a monstrous deficit to prop up the economy.

    Michigan currently has an unemployment rate of 12.6%. California at 11.2% and quickly gaining thanks to the infestation of idiot Democrats in the State Legislature.

    Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows

    But hey, give Obama more time; he is going to make the Carter years look like a cake walk.

  2. #62
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes... like how The Obama's deficit in ONE year equates to 70% of GWB's deficit in EIGHT years...
    Ah, fuzzy math. How much of the massive deficit is Bush era items? It is rather dishonest to attack him on a huge deficit that is partially made up of former administration items. Bash him for the specific programs that his administration created. Don't bash him for deficits and spending items created under the last administration.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Ah, fuzzy math. How much of the massive deficit is Bush era items? It is rather dishonest to attack him on a huge deficit that is partially made up of former administration items. Bash him for the specific programs that his administration created. Don't bash him for deficits and spending items created under the last administration.
    Forget fuzzy math, what about your fuzzy logic? What fuzzy logic does it take to suggest that Obama had NOTHING to do with the monstrous deficits now? Last time I looked the Democrats were in control of the purse strings since 2006 and Obama himself was in FULL support mode of EVERY spending bill that got us where we are today.

    When Democrats took over spending, the deficit which was under $170 billion has now ballooned to $1.8 trillion. Whatever happened to pay as you go and fiscal responsibility?

    This "fuzzy" logic about inheriting the deficit ONLY works if the President had been OUTSIDE Washington and had NOTHING to do with voting and arguing FOR the spending bills.

    Obama OWNS this deficit more so than Bush ever could and attempting to suggest that this is Bush, well, that would require a significant quantity of kool-aid in my opinion.

    Your desperate defense of the indefensible and projecting your anger towards Bush and Republicans suggests that your proclaimed political philosophy is hardly what you claim.

    Next you will be ranting about how you are some kind of "independent;" now THAT is funny.

  4. #64
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    How trite that you attempt to argue that Democrats are not currently responsible for the current situation in Michigan and how selective of you to attempt to argue it isnít a Democrat issue.
    How trite that you attempt to argue that market factors, poor management, horrible quality control measures, over reliance on financing and whole host of factors unrelated to government intervention aren't a play here.

    To support Democrats who spend a nation into a $1.8 trillion deficit demagogue the economy for purely political gain.
    But it's okay when the Republicans doubled the national debt? Apparently it's okay if you do it in $500 billion blocks every year, but not okay in a one time lump payment.

    HIGH interest rates equate to LOWER property values/prices.
    For commercial property yes in the computation of NOI for valuation purposes. Not necessary residential though.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #65
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    He said this with a straight face?

    The projected $1.7T deficit in this budget is 85% of the total spending in GWB's first budget, and 70% of the TOTAL deficits under GWB.
    Were banks failing and was the economy contracting at -6.5% when Bush proposed his first budget?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #66
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Forget fuzzy math, what about your fuzzy logic? What fuzzy logic does it take to suggest that Obama had NOTHING to do with the monstrous deficits now? Last time I looked the Democrats were in control of the purse strings since 2006 and Obama himself was in FULL support mode of EVERY spending bill that got us where we are today.
    Apparently 2001-2005 doesn't matter to you.

    Federal Deficit

    Which shows that during the 2001-2005 period, the majority of the deficits were inflicted. While the Democrats of course continued the trend, your argument that they are solely to blame is absolute crap.

    Whatever happened to pay as you go and fiscal responsibility?
    That would be the Clinton era. Which is long gone.

    This "fuzzy" logic about inheriting the deficit ONLY works if the President had been OUTSIDE Washington and had NOTHING to do with voting and arguing FOR the spending bills.
    I like how you argue that one person is responsible for this mess rather than actually looking how Congress enacts bills. Typical.

    Obama OWNS this deficit more so than Bush ever could and attempting to suggest that this is Bush, well, that would require a significant quantity of kool-aid in my opinion.
    Did Obama enact TARP? Did he come up with it? How about many of the other spending bills specifically designed to help out the financial sector? How about the trillions in bank loans?

    More insults from TD. Nothing new.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I was referring to the occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq. I thought that was obvious.


    One of which hasn't existed for 6 or so years and another which never existed.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    One of which hasn't existed for 6 or so years and another which never existed.
    Simply because there is a government in Iraq does not mean that the country is not being occupied by the US. The same goes for Afghanistan.

  9. #69
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Your trite and misguided condescension aside (not sure what brought this on), is John Engler the current Governor? No, he hasnít been in office since the end of 2002. Are your largest cities in the counties that have such high unemployment NOT run by Democrats and/or Democrat counties?
    You really should not speak out of ignorance. Michigan is a largely divided state, with a strong democratic area in the SE(think Detroit), and a western half that is largely Republican/conservative. This is important because the map I linked for you was of the western area of the state.

    Now, onto Engler...let me remind you of what I replied to: "they did elect Democrats for decades to run their Governments". Engler was Governor from 1991 to 2003. 2003 was not even one decade ago, let alone "decades".

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    This is almost as absurd as suggesting that Arnold is a Republican or even Conservative. But even if he were, even the Terminator cannot stop the senseless spending the Democrats engage in the great State of California; a state that over the last five years had an increase of 40% in revenue and still managed to spend $40 billion more than they could take in.
    And yet this powerless person managed a standstill with the California congress for months...By the way, Schwartzeneger is a republican, he belongs to the republican party. You cannot decide for yourself who really is and is not a republican.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    John Engler was Governor from 1991 to 2002. During his tenure unemployment was at 7.6% and dropping. The current Governor who succeeded Engler since 2003 is a Democrat and unemployment is now at 12.6 %.

    How trite that you attempt to argue that Democrats are not currently responsible for the current situation in Michigan and how selective of you to attempt to argue it isnít a Democrat issue.

    Political party strength in Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So what you are saying is that while governor, Engler and Michigan enjoyed the same boom times that the whole country did under a democratic president, and part of the time, under a democratic US congress. Engler should be thanking the democrats.

    Truth is, politics is not to blame for the current problems in Michigan. While deregulation did contribute to the crisis currently, that was a bipartisan effort, and not an excuse for mismanagement by auto makers. The UAW also holds a large portion of the blame...thankfully when the UAW comes calling in this part of the state, most auto suppliers run them off(I was glad to vote no on them twice, and we kept them out of our place).

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Gee who was President 28 years ago that exceeded this figure? Want to try again?
    "Worst economy over 6 months in 50 years". I never claimed that there where not economic problems when Carter was president, but that this time it is worse. Feel free to refute that when you get a free moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    The way you are using your facts and trite condescension apparently is not serving your cause which was? To support Democrats who spend a nation into a $1.8 trillion deficit demagogue the economy for purely political gain.
    I have indicated in this thread, and a number of others, that I am highly concerned about the level of spending this year(and last, and the one before, and going back many years). I stated that comparing the budgets under two different presidents, dealing with two different sets of problems, is misleading.


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I'm sorry, when do property values go UP when interest rates are high? Did you study Obamanomics?

    HIGH interest rates equate to LOWER property values/prices. We bought because the new homes that previously we could not afford had dropped in value by over $40,000.00; which in those days was a LOT for those of you studying Obamanomics. (see, two can play your condescension game)
    Historical Census of Housing Tables



    One can only laugh at your economic assumptions about inflation rates and interest rates; where the hell did they teach that one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    You think that a 10% inflation rate, which is essentially the LOSS of buying power is making money on an 8% mortgage with an adjustable rate? Come back and argue when you make more sense and have had time to THINK about what it is you are saying.
    If inflation is at 10 %, and you are making 8 % interest on money, you are losing 2 % buying power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I see that reading comprehension is also not your forte'; I stated PEAKED at 10%, I didn't claim that it averaged 10%. Unemployment at the end of his term was at 8.5%.
    My reading comprehension lacks? In the table and chart I linked, and that you also link to, unemployment never topped 8 %, let alone reached 10 %. You have yet to show, anywhere, that unemployment under Carter topped 10 %.

    [quoteFACT: Unemployment was higher during the Carter years.
    Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
    FACT: Inflation was higher during the Carter years.
    Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present
    FACT: The term STAGFLATION indicating high unemployment combined with high inflation was coined during the Carter years.
    FACT: Mortgage Interest rates were at double digits during the Carter years. History of Interest Rates: MRC
    FACT: the OIL crises happened during the Carter years.
    FACT: foreign policy under Carter was a joke and led to the Iranian takeover of the US embassy.

    FACT: interest rates on homes are the lowest they have been in decades
    E-RATE Mortgage Rates History 1980-2008, National Average Mortgage Rates, Federal Finance Housing
    FACT: gas prices are as low in current dollars as they have ever been
    FACT: inflation is nearly non-existent
    Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present
    FACT: unemployment has not peaked past previous downturns.[/quote]

    FACT: Unemployment now is worse than under Carter, and continues to get worse...ie, it's going to get even worse than the numbers that are already worse than under Carter.

    FACT: I have never claimed that things where not bad economically under Carter. They where. I aid things are worse economically now than then. I have given supporting stats to prove this, which you have yet to disprove.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    The notion that the events leading up to Obamaís election are the worst we have had since the depression requires either willful ignorance or willful denial. The REALITY is that things were MUCH worse during the late 70s and early 80s and yet, when Reagan came into office we didnít see a claim to expand the role of Government and spend us into a monstrous deficit to prop up the economy.

    Michigan currently has an unemployment rate of 12.6%. California at 11.2% and quickly gaining thanks to the infestation of idiot Democrats in the State Legislature.

    Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows

    The reality is that things are worse now than under Carter, though it was bad under Carter too. You have yet to show any concrete evidence to suggest otherwise, while I have pointed to a direct statistic showing that the economy has shrunk at rates unseen in 50 years, which is the most direct measure of the economy I know of.

    You have also failed to show any evidence, period, of how it is the democrats that caused the economic problems. The economic problems we are suffering through now are a bipartisan problem, caused by actions of democrats and republicans and those not in office. I could play your game, and find all the ways that republicans have contributed to the economic failures and claim that this is all republican fault, but I don't like to play those hyper-partisan games. I will leave those to you.

    But hey, give Obama more time; he is going to make the Carter years look like a cake walk.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama Releases $3.4 Trillion Budget Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    How trite that you attempt to argue that market factors, poor management, horrible quality control measures, over reliance on financing and whole host of factors unrelated to government intervention aren't a play here.
    That's funny, I could have sworn my comments were directed to Redress; are you his mommy?

    The notion that the Government had nothing to do with the mortgage meltdown requires serious denial; or a LOT of kool-aid.

    But then, Redress and I were talking about Michigan's economy whose meltdown started LONG before the National one.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    But it's okay when the Republicans doubled the national debt?
    Apparently the ONLY time you care is when it is Republicans. How much do you think the National Debt will increase since the Democrats took over? Oh that's right; you only have issues with Republicans.....carry on.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Apparently it's okay if you do it in $500 billion blocks every year, but not okay in a one time lump payment.
    $500 billion blocks every year? Fabricating facts to support your delusions about Republicans again?

    You know Obvious, you would have so much more credibility if you spent half as much time with your selective outrage with Democrats as you do with republicans.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    For commercial property yes in the computation of NOI for valuation purposes. Not necessary residential though.
    The notion that interest rates do NOT affect Residential Property prices requires some willful denial or an incredible lack of facts. Why don't you ask an expert if you don't believe me?

    But again, the last time I looked, my comments were not directed to you were they? Funny how you choose to selectively interject your uninformed views into OTHERS debates and discussions.

    I tend to make it a point to avoid your whiney immature rants as often as I can, why can't you do me the same courtesy?


Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •