Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argentina

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argentina

    This sounds like one of those "did you know that the most accidents happen at home and in the bathroom" studies. I realize $400,000 is chump change to the government,but it is still a **** load of money to a lot people and do we really to spend any amount of money on such wasteful studies. Booze and perspicuous sex, I would think booze would have the same effect on anyone regardless if they choose to have sex with someone of the opposite gender or choose to have sex with someone of the same gender

    CNSNews.com - Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argentina
    The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is funding a study that seeks to discover a link between drinking and having sex among homosexuals in Argentina.

    snip...

    The study began on Sept. 30, 2008, and runs through Aug. 31, 2010. It already has cost taxpayers $198,776. By the time the project ends, it will have cost $403,902, according to NIH.

    The grant, awarded to the New York State Psychiatric Institute, was provided by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), the division of NIH that studies the effects of alcohol and alcoholism.

    The study’s primary focus is to determine the relationship among drinking, bars frequented by homosexuals, and risky sexual behavior to see if certain bars in Argentina might be good targets for HIV-prevention campaigns.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Sounds like something the Republican's would do.. oh wait, it was the Bush administration.. no shocker there.
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    This sounds like one of those "did you know that the most accidents happen at home and in the bathroom" studies. I realize $400,000 is chump change to the government,but it is still a **** load of money to a lot people and do we really to spend any amount of money on such wasteful studies. Booze and perspicuous sex, I would think booze would have the same effect on anyone regardless if they choose to have sex with someone of the opposite gender or choose to have sex with someone of the same gender

    CNSNews.com - Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argentina
    The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is funding a study that seeks to discover a link between drinking and having sex among homosexuals in Argentina.

    snip...

    The study began on Sept. 30, 2008, and runs through Aug. 31, 2010. It already has cost taxpayers $198,776. By the time the project ends, it will have cost $403,902, according to NIH.

    The grant, awarded to the New York State Psychiatric Institute, was provided by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), the division of NIH that studies the effects of alcohol and alcoholism.

    The study’s primary focus is to determine the relationship among drinking, bars frequented by homosexuals, and risky sexual behavior to see if certain bars in Argentina might be good targets for HIV-prevention campaigns.
    I bet they like to get drunk, pick someone up at a bar, and have sex never calling that person again.

    Can I have 400,000 bucks too?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    And they turned down my request for $50,000 to study drinking and sex habits of college girls.

  5. #5
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And they turned down my request for $50,000 to study drinking and sex habits of college girls.
    Bummer dude -- they approved mine!!

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    How much are they spending to find RH's penis?

  7. #7
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The study’s primary focus is to determine the relationship among drinking, bars frequented by homosexuals, and risky sexual behavior to see if certain bars in Argentina might be good targets for HIV-prevention campaigns.
    I am going to ask the obvious question....
    How is this something the people of the United States should be paying for?

  8. #8
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am going to ask the obvious question....
    How is this something the people of the United States should be paying for?
    Its not, our politicians are morons.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #9
    Just Crazy Enough to Work
    Edify_Always_In_All_Ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am going to ask the obvious question....
    How is this something the people of the United States should be paying for?
    Dozens of obvious questions like this are brewed up in pork barrels every day. This one's relatively mild in comparison to a certain bridge I could name... as well as plenty of Democratic projects worth many millions of dollars. Let's work on the big stuff first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat
    Heh. Do you realize how many children I'd murder to be immortal and have an army of willing slaves?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Feds Will Spend $400,000 to Study Drinking and Sex Habits of Homosexuals in Argen

    Chances are that they already have data on drinking and sexual trends of homosexuals in the United States, now they need to compare with an external sample in order to see if their findings line up to a true trend with homosexuals in general.

    There are useful things to consider about such a study. A lot of homosexual men engage in anal intercourse but when and where they do it, and if they use protection, can depend a lot on if they are intoxicated or not.

    One would assume that sexual trends would be the same as with heterosexuals, but since the vast majority of sexual studies deal with heterosexuality, it's not safe to make the same assumptions of the homosexual demographic.

    It's being paid for by the U.S. because it's a U.S. institute conducting the study and they applied for a grant. Where they decide to conduct the study could be anywhere they please as long as the findings are published in the United States.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •