Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78

Thread: DC approves same-sex marriage law

  1. #61
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    I thought you didn't care? A tad disingenuous, I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    If you have such a narrow-minded view, of that logic, of course it doesn't work.
    Historically, the majority just didn't care enough prior to Lincoln. If you look at the culture of the time period, slavery was just an issue that just wasn't talked about on casual terms, like today. Therfore, "majority opinion" was not applicable, because the majority didn't have an opinion. It wasn't untill Lincoln(actually, Webster first, but I won't get started with him) made it an issue that people took sides and, based on results, we got the desireable outcome.

    So yea, you would be right if you looked at it with such a narrow view and disregarded the big picture.



    Fine, I suppose I'm going to have to simplify this for you since you are CLEARLY trying to dodge the point of my post:

    When the US was founded slavery was popular and legal. Therefore Black's must not have been evolved enough to be considered human when our country was founded BUT later they evolved and the majority started to detest it. Don't want to ruffle your precious feathers though so BEFORE they voted on it, and BEFORE the majority decided to change their opinions on the matter, THEN blacks weren't the same as whites. Does that follow your backwards logic close enough?

    Admit it, your original reasoning was flawed. Trying to defend flawed logic isn't admirable, its asinine.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  2. #62
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post


    Fine, I suppose I'm going to have to simplify this for you since you are CLEARLY trying to dodge the point of my post:

    When the US was founded slavery was popular and legal. Therefore Black's must not have been evolved enough to be considered human when our country was founded BUT later they evolved and the majority started to detest it. Don't want to ruffle your precious feathers though so BEFORE they voted on it, and BEFORE the majority decided to change their opinions on the matter, THEN blacks weren't the same as whites. Does that follow your backwards logic close enough?

    Admit it, your original reasoning was flawed. Trying to defend flawed logic isn't admirable, its asinine.
    prove that. And, no, don't just say "in the south". Nationwide, prove that it was popular, at least more popular than the abolition movements.

  3. #63
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post


    Fine, I suppose I'm going to have to simplify this for you since you are CLEARLY trying to dodge the point of my post:

    When the US was founded slavery was popular and legal. Therefore Black's must not have been evolved enough to be considered human when our country was founded BUT later they evolved and the majority started to detest it. Don't want to ruffle your precious feathers though so BEFORE they voted on it, and BEFORE the majority decided to change their opinions on the matter, THEN blacks weren't the same as whites. Does that follow your backwards logic close enough?

    Admit it, your original reasoning was flawed. Trying to defend flawed logic isn't admirable, its asinine.
    Mind telling me what my quote was doing in that diatribe of yours? Do you even know the context of it?

    By the by, what ARE you trying to say in that mess above.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  4. #64
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Mind telling me what my quote was doing in that diatribe of yours? Do you even know the context of it?

    By the by, what ARE you trying to say in that mess above.
    What I'm saying is that MUST have been the argument for not allowing them the same rights as everyone else. (No that is not MY belief, its freaking ludicrous, but that was the thinking back then) You get my point. Basically the majority didn't want to give blacks the same rights so we said screw it. That doesn't make it right, nor does the fact that the majority MAY be against gay marriage, it doesn't make it right. Human rights are human rights, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

    I'm not sure if that made any more sense.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  5. #65
    Phoenecian
    Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    03-22-13 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    prove that. And, no, don't just say "in the south". Nationwide, prove that it was popular, at least more popular than the abolition movements.
    So you are proposing that people were forced to own slaves? If they believed that it was wrong then why did they do it? Obviously they didn't believe it really if they did it.
    Affiant further sayeth not.

  6. #66
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    So you are proposing that people were forced to own slaves? If they believed that it was wrong then why did they do it? Obviously they didn't believe it really if they did it.
    WRONG


    Please, please, please, read my post again. Obviously you didn't read. My idea of "majority opinion" does not apply because the majority of people had NO OPINION on slavery at the time. prior to the 1800's, the only people that cared about slavery were the slaver owners; therefore, they had their way untill someone in the north actually thought about slavery as an issue.

    Gay marriage is different, most people have an opiniion, and lo and behold, it's against gay marriage.
    Last edited by DarkWizard12; 05-09-09 at 05:45 PM.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post


    Fine, I suppose I'm going to have to simplify this for you since you are CLEARLY trying to dodge the point of my post:

    When the US was founded slavery was popular and legal. Therefore Black's must not have been evolved enough to be considered human when our country was founded BUT later they evolved and the majority started to detest it. Don't want to ruffle your precious feathers though so BEFORE they voted on it, and BEFORE the majority decided to change their opinions on the matter, THEN blacks weren't the same as whites. Does that follow your backwards logic close enough?

    Admit it, your original reasoning was flawed. Trying to defend flawed logic isn't admirable, its asinine.
    Why are so many people so ignorant of the fact that the Founding Fathers KNEW that the Union was imperfect when they created it and HAD to make many concessions just to get this damn place started?

    It's funny: Slavery didn't start in America, but it sure ENDED in America.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Democracy is the worst form of government... except for all the others that have been tried.
    (Churchill if I'm not mistaken.)
    Good thing we're a Republic then...

  9. #69
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Gay marriage is different, most people have an opiniion, and lo and behold, it's against gay marriage.
    Majority opinion is a funny thing, isn't it?

    In 1968 only 20 percent of Americans polled were accepting of marriage between couples of different races, but a June 2004 Gallup survey revealed that 73 percent of Americans approved of marriages between whites and African-Americans.
    Interracial Marriage

    Opposition to interracial marriage was stronger in the 1960s than opposition to gay marriage is today.

    I think most of us would say we've made progress.


  10. #70
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: DC approves same-sex marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's funny: Slavery didn't start in America, but it sure ENDED in America.
    Slavery is over? Hmmm...
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •