Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 475

Thread: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanistan

  1. #311
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Just like religion, this is purely opinion.
    With a little common sense thrown in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I would apply that equally to anyone who would rather not be told that they are "going to hell" because of their religious beliefs.
    If they don't believe it, why would anyone care? Unless on some level they believed it is true?

    Otherwise it is just silly. Sticks and stones, remember?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    It's not me that has an issue with the silly stories in that table-leveling device.
    So you are admitting you do have a problem with the story's etc in a 2000 year old book? Interesting. Yet you say you don't believe in it?

    It would be like me being upset because someone who follows Scientology tells me I will never be clear of "thetans" and thus never reach whatever it is they reach for. I don't believe it, so it really does not matter and it certainly is no insult.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I just see how if you are dedicated to a certain faith and you are being handed a book that tells you that you are going to hell because of it, it can be very offensive.
    If you don't believe it is anything more than a book of mythology and fairy tails anyway, where is the insult? So if someone hands me a book on Babylonian mythology I should be insulted?

    You are not going to hell because of any book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    It is not our society. It is theirs, remember? Afghanistan?
    Irrelivant.

    Anyone who would be insulted by a book being handed to them, is according to logic and reason stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I'm sure the PC bs wouldnt be pushed so hard i there werent people that actually agreed with crap like this.
    Yes I agree. Who needs logic and reason anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Strength or weakness in your faith has nothing to do with this. The fact of the matter is it is a completely different world over there.
    Logic and reason do not change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    I'm sure this arguement wouldnt be going very far if the scenario was reversed and it was Afghan troops in OUR country handing us a book that told you that you were wrong.
    I am a Jeffersonian, it would be going exactly the same except we mite not have the freedom to discuss it openly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #312
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    no problem then, just show me that person the person that is out of the military and turned peace to Afghanistan and we will have no problem.
    I have no idea what you just said.

    I am going out on a limb here and asking what this has to do with my agreeing with you???

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Here is the problem though, you have shown me no such person and the U.S. personnel is being used to shove this religion down people's throats.
    Again what the heck are you talking about and how does this have anything to do with me agreeing with you???
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #313
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I can agree with those. I just think that we should try to figure out maybe how some of our actions can come back on us and try to make more researched decisions. I'm not saying that we go isolationist or refuse to uphold treaty, but I do think that maybe we've taken a rather caviler attitude towards our intervention, and I'm not so sure that's the best.
    Apathy is one of those actions. Doing nothing is often times far worse than doing something especially in a world where a leader or guiding hand is to self conscious, afraid, or impotent to give direction in the chaos with a carrot or a stick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There is a thing called blow back, it's real. Multiple decades of intervention in the Middle East has left a less than favorable taste for the West as a whole. This has fed well into propaganda for the terrorists. In the end, we should note the supply of terrorists is near infinite, so the best way to impact what they can do is to destroy the propaganda they use to swing people to their side. Always be terrorists, deal with it on an individual basis. Messing with all these countries and people and occupying land and such...not sure it has the effect some people envision. This can (and probably will if history is any lesson on this) come back and bite us hard in the ass.
    There are always consequences; there is no inconsequential solution. Both apathy and intervention have penalties. However, intervention grants one the benefit to mold the future. As history has shown the positive has outweighed the negative. This is no small feat which can't be appreciated until imagining the consequences of a world dominated by any other country save a few.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Perpetual war is not a good situation, and that is where we're driving towards.
    We are centuries if not millenniums away from a future without conflict. assuming the human species survives.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Apathy is one of those actions. Doing nothing is often times far worse than doing something especially in a world where a leader or guiding hand is to self conscious, afraid, or impotent to give direction in the chaos with a carrot or a stick.
    I didn't say do nothing, but rather avoid if possible military intervention and occupation of lands. That in the end does more bad than good. There are things which can be done diplomatically and economically which could aid us well more than running into a country, blowing crap up, and declaring ourselves winner. I don't know what to say, if you don't think that would have some serious negative consequences we're just at an impasse, but history supports my claims. How many times have we monkeyed with things to have it blow up in our faces?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    There are always consequences; there is no inconsequential solution. Both apathy and intervention have penalties. However, intervention grants one the benefit to mold the future. As history has shown the positive has outweighed the negative. This is no small feat which can't be appreciated until imagining the consequences of a world dominated by any other country save a few.
    I don't think people seriously consider the ramifications and blow back which occur with military occupation of foriegn lands, especially in a region already hostile to the West. Sometimes you can't avoid war, but I fear that many want to rush into it without thinking things through or considering the negative consequences which come from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    We are centuries if not millenniums away from a future without conflict. assuming the human species survives.
    There is a difference between occasional war and perpetual war. I'm not saying we'll drive to the no war case by following what I think would be prudent actions. However, it would avoid perpetual war; which is the direction we're running towards. Perpetual war has horrible consequences.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    As a side bar are military folks allowed or not allowed to wander around in uniform at malls, the movies, etc. This is an argument some friends of mine were having the other day.
    I was looking into this one the other day for unrelated reasons (I can PM them to you if you would like to know).

    As far as I can tell, military personnel are allowed to wear their uniform while off duty just about whenever they want so long as where they are and what they're doing does not disgrace the uniform or appear to endorse a product.

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    Depends on the branch of service and the uniform. If you are a soldier, an airman, or a sailor, you can be as nasty as you want to be. They are authorized to walk down Malls, Wal-Marts, and even upscale their eating habits by passing up McDonalds to enter a Taco Bell (careful of Swine) in their camoflouge utilities and their PT gear. Marines are not. The utility unform is considered a work uniform, which means that mud, grease, and oil travels with you. The PT uniform is made to sweat. Both uniforms do little to show off the military and to serve in an ambassadorial capacity. There was a time when Marines could wear their cammies to get gas and to pick up milk from a corner store for his baby and such, but not any more.

    All branches, however, are authorized to wear dress uniforms in public. They are proper recruitment tools and they serves much like a man's business suit. If a man wants to show off his success, he shows up in his business suit and carries himself in a specific manner. The military man (or woman) should do the same.
    Makes sense, I was looking into the rules for the Army at the time.

    In my fast food days I often saw Solders and Airmen come in to eat in uniform, but never Marines even though I knew there were Marines stationed near by.

    Now I know why.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-06-09 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #316
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The video is very real. Are you saying that we shouldn't investigate wrong doing and misconduct in our military? Interesting.
    I'm saning the military will deal with its own problems without the aid of outside whiners seeking to stand behind pulpits while validating the exaggerated accusations of the enemy. Was this "interesting" too?

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #317
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again Show me where it is the job of the military to hand out bibles to people that don't request one from a chaplain?
    During ther '90s, the military was tasked with operationas and missions it was ill suited for. The military, known for its mission of death and destruction, found itself on one humanitarian mission after another without the proper training. In other words, the military frequently does what is not its "job."


    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Do you think it is ok for the U.S. military to endorse one religion and spread it?
    Here is the fact....the U.S. military has not endorsed anything of the sort. The U.S. military is full of religions and Chaplians and Priests are trained to accomodate all of them.

    As I have said, you people are arguing non-issues and giving hand jobs to the enemy with your weak and pathetic validations.
    Last edited by MSgt; 05-08-09 at 03:15 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  8. #318
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    During ther '90s, the military was tasked with operationas and missions it was ill suited for. The military, known for its mission of death and destruction, found itself on one humanitarian mission after another without the proper training. In other words, the military frequently does what is not its "job."




    Here is the fact....the U.S. military has not endorsed anything of the sort. The U.S. military is full of religions and Chaplians and Priests are trained to accomodate all of them.

    As I have said, you people are arguing non-issues and giving hand jobs to the enemy with your weak and pathetic validations.
    On the first part of what you posted, I completely agree with you. If we want to do humanitarian missions, then we should strengthen the Peace Corps, and let the military do what it does best - Killing threats to America's security.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-08-09 at 03:22 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #319
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,986

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Thank you, seriously, but your previous response was (IMO) pretty snotty and could have been REALLY cleared up with this.
    Your redundant and pointless questioning and her efforts to explain to you the obvious could have been completely avoided had you not behaved obtusely in the first place.

    Considering that the "military" didn't hand out Bibles and that the "military" hadn't endorsed anything of the sort, questioning whether or not the job of the military is to pass out Bibles was pointless.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  10. #320
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. soldiers encouraged to spread message of their Christian faith in Afghanista

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    I'm saning the military will deal with its own problems without the aid of outside whiners seeking to stand behind pulpits while validating the exaggerated accusations of the enemy. Was this "interesting" too?
    Yes, you basically said if the military does anything wrong, ignore it. I'm not much of a believer in self-policing branches of the government. Mostly it doesn't happen.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •