Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 372

Thread: Religious tend to support torture more often

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    He asked someone to prove that the killings were done in the name of atheism. Please do so or rescind your ad homs.
    Stalin.

    .............

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    This is untrue. My mental illness argument was offered ONLY as a counter to your claim that the religious have more ethically sound minds.
    Your study had nothing to do with your argument, though. That's my point to you. You used a study that had NOTHING to do with what you were saying. Its subjects and goals were no where near the points of your argument. I'm sorry but it's as though you simply googled "religious delusions" and linked to the first thing that popped up without actually knowing rather or not is was the study you have already read a long time ago and based your conclusions on.

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    To the poll I offered one and only one argument and that was that conservatives are more likely to not see waterboarding and other things as unacceptable forms of torture. Religious folks are overwhelmingly conservative and people are sheep. So as the party blowhards go on tv and mock waterboarding the sheeple follow along. Now that's not to say that there aren't conservatives who researched it, thought about it deeply, and arrived at the same conclusion as the loudest blowhards on the right. However it's easy to see why the religious more often support torture, it's because conservatives more often support torture. I don't think God has anything to do with it. Just like more ice cream being sold in July in the US has nothing to do with the month of July and everything to do with the weather here in July. Somewhere else it might be cold in July and icecream sales are down. So July is not the cause of higher ice cream sales. Make sense?
    I've already agreed with you on this, but your study still has nothing to do with your argument.

  3. #283
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,169

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't think that is true. Most converts in prison are of the Christian variety as they have a huge presence in prisons around the country. Support programs etc.
    In prison religion is a hotly energizing force, and Islam is spreading swiftly, experts say. Even Muslim leaders and scholars say they have been surprised by the pace of prison conversions, though national research on religion in prison is scarce. In what may be the most dramatic example, one researcher says the majority of inmates are Muslim at New York City’s Rikers Island jail complex, the largest in the country.
    Ramadan challenges inmates, prisons as Islam spreads | ReligionLink

    Is Islam the fastest growing religion in the world? - Yahoo! Answers


    I don't claim the above is proof positive...stats seem hard to come by. But it is some evidence to back up what I've seen with my own eyes: lots and lots of Muslim converts in prison.

    How deep is their belief? Well, that's debateable in many cases... like I said, 90% are religious long enough to get out of prison (of whichever religion).

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #284
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ramadan challenges inmates, prisons as Islam spreads | ReligionLink

    Is Islam the fastest growing religion in the world? - Yahoo! Answers


    I don't claim the above is proof positive...stats seem hard to come by. But it is some evidence to back up what I've seen with my own eyes: lots and lots of Muslim converts in prison.

    How deep is their belief? Well, that's debateable in many cases... like I said, 90% are religious long enough to get out of prison (of whichever religion).
    I agree Islam is spreading, but it is not even close to the majority of inmates.

    I could only find stats from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice in 1999. Those stats had Christian up around 40% mostly being Baptists and Catholic. The rest are non-believers and all other denominations combined.

    Allot may have changed in the last ten years, but this is still a predominantly Christian country. The prisons most likely still reflect this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #285
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    No, it was political social engineering. Religion was attacked to usurp the power the church held and to exploit the inherent nature of the religious.
    I have no idea what the last bit means but this political and social engineering was inherently Atheistic.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Stalin.

    .............
    Stalin did it in the name of Atheism? Sorry that doesn't cut it, he didn't do it for atheism.

  7. #287
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Stalin did it in the name of Atheism? Sorry that doesn't cut it, he didn't do it for atheism.
    He did it in the name of Marxist materialism which is Atheistic. In the same way the Hapsburg inquisition did it in the name not of religion but Roman Catholicism.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    He did it in the name of Marxist materialism which is Atheistic. In the same way the Hapsburg inquisition did it in the name not of religion but Roman Catholicism.
    Materialism is not the same as atheism, sorry. If that were the case most of America would be atheist considering many do most things for materialism.

  9. #289
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Materialism is not the same as atheism, sorry. If that were the case most of America would be atheist considering many do most things for materialism.




    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_materialism[/ame]
    Last edited by Wessexman; 05-09-09 at 12:54 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Religious tend to support torture more often

    Oh Damn, you put a picture of Darth Vader, I guess you win.

    Go home and worship the queen bitch of England.

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •