Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

  1. #11
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Just because it's in there doesn't mean it's readable or understandable. A simple policies written in readable font and plain English would help. WorldCom's numbers were all there. They just were aggregated and disaggregated in a way that one can't figure out the actual economic reality.
    As far as credit cards go when you activate the card its like your signing a contract.

    If you fail to read it or if you like have a lawyer interpret it for you, there is no one else to blame than yourself.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    óAdam Shepard

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    That flippant attitude doesn't reflect reality. And I suspect you not only know that but, agree with me.
    No, I definitely do not agree with you. No one needs a credit card. More importantly, if you enter into a contract that you do not fully comprehend it is your own fault. If I asked you to sign a contract where the wording was ambiguous and complicated, would you sign it? If not, then why is it any different for a credit card company? Oh, because you "need" a credit card?

    When my cards started their games I tried to negotiate with them, telling them if they didn't lower their rates to where they were previously I was going to pay them off. They didn't and I did. I now have none.
    Sounds like your problem is solved. Voting with your wallet is the most effective way to change undesirable business practices.

    This industry has been screaming for regulation and now it seems they're about to get it.
    This attitude of entitlement is like a cancerous tumor on the anus of America. Just because you have a personal vendetta against credit card companies and their business practices does not mean the government needs to involve itself on your behalf. Act like an adult and take responsibility for your actions. Donít understand the contract? Donít sign the damn thing. Signed it anyway? Then accept the consequences which accompany poor decision making.

  3. #13
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This attitude of entitlement is like a cancerous tumor on the anus of America. Just because you have a personal vendetta against credit card companies and their business practices does not mean the government needs to involve itself on your behalf. Act like an adult and take responsibility for your actions. Donít understand the contract? Donít sign the damn thing. Signed it anyway? Then accept the consequences which accompany poor decision making.
    Entitlement? Huh? CC companies have been pushing the edge for a long time. They change rules, change due dates to trick people into late fees, raise rates for no reason. Sure all of this is probably in the "contract" somewhere but, try to find it and then try to make sense of it. They either play by the rules or get regulated. Guess what? They're getting regulated!

    Most people don't read their mortgage agreement. Even fewer read the entire CC contract. Wake up and lose your righteous attitude. This is the real world I'm talking about. America is not a country of contract readers.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  4. #14
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Entitlement? Huh? CC companies have been pushing the edge for a long time. They change rules, change due dates to trick people into late fees, raise rates for no reason. Sure all of this is probably in the "contract" somewhere but, try to find it and then try to make sense of it. They either play by the rules or get regulated. Guess what? They're getting regulated!

    Most people don't read their mortgage agreement. Even fewer read the entire CC contract. Wake up and lose your righteous attitude. This is the real world I'm talking about. America is not a country of contract readers.
    Then they're idiots. Nothing "righteous" about it. It's simply a fact. If you sign something you don't read, it's on no one but you. Get it? No one.
    ďOffing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.Ē-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Entitlement? Huh?
    Yes, the false belief that you are somehow authorized to manage the affairs of others simply because you don't not like what they are doing. No one forced you to sign the contract. It was a choice you made, hence it is your responsibility - not the government's - to deal with the consequences.

    CC companies have been pushing the edge for a long time. They change rules, change due dates to trick people into late fees, raise rates for no reason. Sure all of this is probably in the "contract" somewhere
    Then you have no one to blame but yourself. If you cannot comprehend a contract then you should not sign it, period.

    but...
    Yes, there's always a "but", isn't there?

    try to find it and then try to make sense of it.
    Solution: DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT.

    They either play by the rules or get regulated.
    What rules? The arbitrary guidelines you have set forth here, or some actual legal guidelines which you can cite specifically?

    Guess what? They're getting regulated!
    Of course. That's your solution to everything.

    Most people don't read their mortgage agreement.
    Right on! I mean, who has time to sit down and read something that's effectively worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? That would be asking far too much.

    Even fewer read the entire CC contract.
    How is laziness a valid excuse for anything?

    Wake up and lose your righteous attitude.
    Righteous? You mean mature and responsible?

    This is the real world I'm talking about.
    Sounds more like bizzaro world to me. A magical land in which no one must assume responsibility for their own actions. They simply act on impulse and let a benevolent bureaucracy fix things for them when something goes awry.

    America is not a country of contract readers.
    Then America needs to grow up. I'm sick and tired of a responsible minority of citizens being forced to bear the burden of the majority's collective stupidity.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 05-01-09 at 01:11 AM.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Most people realize that the Government regulation of the CC industry is to appeal to those people that signed up for "easy money" and now are screaming that they are being held to the contract they signed.

    I won't argue that many companies have some craptastic rules. However, when I DID have cards, I personally only signed up for cards from companies that were not practicing such, and there were a few.

    The government shouldn't save people from themselves, but I guess in this day and age, it's no shock that so many people rely on Uncle Sam instead of themselves...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #17
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,500
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Riding a crest of populist anger, the House on Thursday approved a bill to restrict credit card practices and eliminate sudden increases in interest rates and late fees that have entangled millions of consumers. (snip) The measure would prohibit so-called double-cycle billing and retroactive rate hikes and would prevent companies from giving credit cards to anyone under 18.

    Source
    Under 18... ok, the remainder is going to hurt the small guy, as usual.

    Government is telling private business how they can assess their risk, and many will be seen as too risky. It will be interesting to see what the lwayers come up with at these companies?

    Liberty sometimes means having to learn the hard way... not for government to come in and clean up messes created by people's own bad choices.

    Think this is the end of their play in this market?
    No chance.

    When people at the low end are being rejected for cards, Mommy Dearest will tell banks to give cards to people that can't pay them (a new right... plastic), and we'll have a new Freddie and Fannie Social program forced on the banks.


    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #18
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Then America needs to grow up. I'm sick and tired of a responsible minority of citizens being forced to bear the burden of the majority's collective stupidity.
    Boo! Hoo! Hoo!

    The reality is that these banks change their rules at will to suck more $$ out of people. Your argument holds water in the classroom but, not in the real world. Banks, and businesses, have to play fair and inform their customers. They don't! So, now they get regulated. And I'd bet the farm that the vast majority of you holier than thou "they should read the contract and grow up" folks haven't read all your CC contracts!
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  9. #19
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Boo! Hoo! Hoo!

    The reality is that these banks change their rules at will to suck more $$ out of people. Your argument holds water in the classroom but, not in the real world. Banks, and businesses, have to play fair and inform their customers. They don't! So, now they get regulated. And I'd bet the farm that the vast majority of you holier than thou "they should read the contract and grow up" folks haven't read all your CC contracts!
    The reality is that the banks had contracts most people were too stupid or too arrogant to read.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #20
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: House passes credit card bill that helps consumers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The reality is that the banks had contracts most people were too stupid or too arrogant to read.
    Being stupid is not a crime. Taking advantage of that is, or should be! But, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •