Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

  1. #41
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Why would anyone NOT eat pork, unless they are bound by some silly religious superstition?
    I'll take a shot and say that vegetarians/vegans aren't bound by any religious superstition and do it because well. They just don't like meat. I've NEVER eaten an olive consciously. I find that they taste, smell and look disgusting. It's been put in my food and most of the time I have a gag reaction when told. It's just one of those things. You hate some foods. You love some foods.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #42
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I'll take a shot and say that vegetarians/vegans aren't bound by any religious superstition and do it because well. They just don't like meat. I've NEVER eaten an olive consciously. I find that they taste, smell and look disgusting. It's been put in my food and most of the time I have a gag reaction when told. It's just one of those things. You hate some foods. You love some foods.
    Yeah, being a vegan is a possible reason, but the way he worded it gave me the impression that he eats other kinds of meat.

    There's a few foods I won't eat, but not many. Pork gives me heartburn every time I eat it, but it's worth it.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Maybe I am wrong ... but ... don't muslims avoid pork like the plague?


  4. #44
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I'll take a shot and say that vegetarians/vegans aren't bound by any religious superstition and do it because well. They just don't like meat. I've NEVER eaten an olive consciously. I find that they taste, smell and look disgusting. It's been put in my food and most of the time I have a gag reaction when told. It's just one of those things. You hate some foods. You love some foods.


    Fixed it for you. Vegans for the most part do it for social and political reasons aka "superstition".


    Very few do it because they don't like meat.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #45
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Maybe I am wrong ... but ... don't muslims avoid pork like the plague?

    Yes, pigs are avoided


  6. #46
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Maybe I am wrong ... but ... don't muslims avoid pork like the plague?

    As do Jews, your point? Egypt has many faiths. You can even buy booze in Egypt... it aint Saudi Arabia.
    PeteEU

  7. #47
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Fixed it for you. Vegans for the most part do it for social and political reasons aka "superstition".


    Very few do it because they don't like meat.
    Prove it. Definition of a superstition :

    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstition[/ame]

    Superstition (Latin superstitio, literally "standing over"; derived perhaps from standing in awe;[1] used in Latin as an unreasonable or excessive belief in fear or magic, especially foreign or fantastical ideas, and thus came to mean a "cult" in the Roman empire)[2][3] is a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge. The word is often used pejoratively to refer to supposedly irrational beliefs of others, and its precise meaning is therefore subjective. It is commonly applied to beliefs and practices surrounding luck, prophecy and spiritual beings, particularly the irrational belief that future events can be influenced or foretold by specific, unrelated behaviours or occurrences.
    If I have political or social reasons for being a vegan/vegetarian then it is no longer a superstition.

    Example of a non-superstition :

    If I do not eat beef because I've observed/read about the way they are piled into trucks by the dozens and made to live a horrible existence in 'farms' that I consider unethical then that is not a superstition. It is a choice based on facts.

    Example of a superstition :

    Going to church every weekend and kneeling in front of another man to eat a mass manufactured cracker because I believe it is the body of Jesus Christ.

    Get it? Got it? Good.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-30-09 at 05:04 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #48
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Prove it. Definition of a superstition :

    Superstition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    If I have political or social reasons for being a vegan then it is no longer a superstition.

    Example of a non superstition :

    If I do not eat beef because I've observed the way they are piled into trucks by the dozens and made to live a horrible existence in 'farms' that I consider unethical then that is not a superstition. It is a choice based on facts and reason.

    Example of a superstition :

    Going to church every weekend and kneeling in front of another man to eat a mass manufactured cracker because I believe it is the body of Jesus Christ.

    Get it? Got it? Good.



    wow, that's impressive. got anything on the topic or big mouth bloviating is the call for the day?


    Nice to see your bigotry is alive and well.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    mmm.... bacon for all!
    Except those filthy Jews!!

    Pork on sale...the ultimate Jewish dilemma.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    wow, that's impressive. got anything on the topic or big mouth bloviating is the call for the day?
    Wow is this how you reply to being found to be making things up? Or are you going to provide ANY evidence for your claims?

    Nice to see your bigotry is alive and well.
    Are you playing the victim card? Or is it only a superstition when you want to apply it to people who've decided not to eat meat?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •