Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 166

Thread: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And the world does not revolve around people like you either TD.

    Remember that one. You are ok with the government censoring what YOU don't like, but hate it when it censors what you like. There is a word for that....oh yeah HYPOCRISY.

    I love it when conservatives cheer when the government steps in to get rid of the F-Bombs, but when they come in to talk about the fair doctrine (Something I don't agree with), then they cry foul.

    The only thing true TD, is you take the truth, turn it into a lie, then cheer it on.
    It is readily apparent that REALITY and TRUTH are situations you find unfamiliar in your desperate emotional outbursts to divine hypocrisy.

    But alas, the facts speak for themselves; the airwaves are regulated for the publicís safety as I asserted, they prevent anarchy and confusion and when one obtains a license, one agrees to the terms required by PUBLIC entities whose regulations come out of the legislature and whose power comes from the people.

    What a trite yet absurd juvenile argument to suggest that it is tantamount to censure; but then you specialize in the trite, the simplistic and the juvenile.

    You won't be able to build that building without Government approval and abiding with their design criteria; how dare those evil bureaucrats to force their views on you eh?

    Carry on; your clown like attempts at debate is more for amusement than for serious consideration.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    You realize it is going in the other direction and the velocity is increasing.

    .
    Aye, it is another sad truth. Though I still find that there is reason to try to reverse this course.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #63
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But it is an infringement on your 1st amendment rights.
    As a Supreme Court Justice (I forget which one) once said, "your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." That's why you can't scream fire in a movie theatre. You're inciting panic and people will be hurt. There is no similar case to be made from regulating F-bombs and nipples on television.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    You see, when it comes to the public, its safety and content, one must also assume there will be limited restrictions.
    Yes, restrictions to protect people from harm, such as libel, slander, inciting panic, or inciting violence. No one is harmed if someone drops an F-bomb on a television show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Clamoring for total unrestricted airspace, while giving you a warm feeling perhaps, has not been the will of a majority opinion in this country where the majority still happens to be of religious persuasion and have children.
    Either cite a recent opinion poll that the majority of Americans favor government censorship of television, or stop making this claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    My first comment was merely to explain why doing away with the FCC was an idiotic assertion made in a vacuum of the facts and reality of unregulated airwaves and to defend what has been a majority opinion for some time; that content supplied over the airwaves be moderated for the times they are aired to protect children from potentially being exposed to that content and many of the adults who would be offended even by accidental access.
    You can prohibit your kids from watching certain channels or shows. For that matter, there are gizmos that can block them entirely. And sorry, but someone "accidentally" accessing offensive programming is no excuse to ban it. You could "accidentally" stumble into the adult section of your local video store too...that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to sell those videos.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 04-29-09 at 08:36 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #64
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    My first comment was merely to explain why doing away with the FCC was an idiotic assertion made in a vacuum of the facts and reality of unregulated airwaves and to defend what has been a majority opinion for some time; that content supplied over the airwaves be moderated for the times they are aired to protect children from potentially being exposed to that content and many of the adults who would be offended even by accidental access.
    I've yet to see anyone claim the FCC should be done away with in total. This is hyperbole and distortion on your part so that you could try to make a stronger argument.

    Also, the majority can wish all they want for whatever they want; but if what they want infringes upon the rights of the minority they can not have their way. If the majority wishes to trample on property and speech rights, I suggest they go wish in one hand and **** in the other, see which one fills up first. The base premise of this country is not one of pure democracy, but rather a Republic built upon the limited use of the government and the upholding of the rights and liberties of the People.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #65
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Boy, good thing those right wing fatheads, spelled S-C-A-L-I-A, believe in "small" government. Imagine what they would do if say, they wanted to govern the kind of sex you had in your own bedroom! Geez, I guess we're lucky that they're looking out for us, ehh?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  6. #66
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What a trite little insult to end an emotional rant based on your personal opinion and nothing close to the relevant facts or emotional outbursts of like minded individuals on this forum who somehow think that their OPINIONS about decency and child rearing trumps all others.
    And once again TD resorts to "You're wrong because I say so."

    Never mind the actual data and actual facts that clearly show that the indecency complaints received by the FCC are originated by .003% of the public. Furthermore, never mind the actual fact regarding that the FCC received no complaints about the use of the F word during the numerous broadcasts of Saving Private Ryan.
    Never mind how the actual data suggests that you are dead wrong. Let's just assume whatever we want, whatever 'facts' we want and ignore all actual empirical data because it blows star sized holes in our arguments.

    Now run along, your juvenile rants add nothing to the debate.
    Gotta wonder how many times people say that about you.

    And thus ends another episode of wasting time with TD.

    "You're wrong."
    "because..."
    "I SAY SO!"
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    It is readily apparent that REALITY and TRUTH are situations you find unfamiliar in your desperate emotional outbursts to divine hypocrisy.

    But alas, the facts speak for themselves; the airwaves are regulated for the publicís safety as I asserted, they prevent anarchy and confusion and when one obtains a license, one agrees to the terms required by PUBLIC entities whose regulations come out of the legislature and whose power comes from the people.

    What a trite yet absurd juvenile argument to suggest that it is tantamount to censure; but then you specialize in the trite, the simplistic and the juvenile.

    You won't be able to build that building without Government approval and abiding with their design criteria; how dare those evil bureaucrats to force their views on you eh?

    Carry on; your clown like attempts at debate is more for amusement than for serious consideration.
    Oh your motivation is quite clear. You feel that censorship that YOU agree with is ok by the government, but you don't want the government censoring things you don't agree with.

    Your hypocrisy is still noted and you were called on it.

    You only want big brother government censoring things you agree with.

    Your truth is known and it is know as hypocrisy.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 04-29-09 at 09:00 PM.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote: Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    My first comment was merely to explain why doing away with the FCC was an idiotic assertion made in a vacuum of the facts and reality of unregulated airwaves and to defend what has been a majority opinion for some time; that content supplied over the airwaves be moderated for the times they are aired to protect children from potentially being exposed to that content and many of the adults who would be offended even by accidental access.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I've yet to see anyone claim the FCC should be done away with in total. This is hyperbole and distortion on your part so that you could try to make a stronger argument.
    So you didnít make this comment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The FCC should be all but abolished. It's only power to police airwave piracy and nothing more.

    I hate the ****ing Federal Communist Commission.
    What about this comment?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Just another reason why the FCC is a violation of the First Amendment.
    How about this one from your ole pal Kandahar who also has very confused ideas about raising children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Seriously...what purpose does the FCC serve? Anyone?
    But here is the doosie that prompted my original response:

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well conservatives have to protect the public from those obscene 0.4 sec tit shots from Janet Jackson.
    One thing is certain, for a physicist you show an incredible propensity for forgetting what was typed only a few threads back and dragging a debate into never ending circles of futility.

    Carry on.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Oh your motivation is quite clear. You feel that censorship that YOU agree with is ok by the government, but you don't want the government intruding on censorship you don't agree with.

    Your hypocrisy is still noted and you were called on it.

    You only want big brother government censoring things you agree with.

    Your truth is known and it is know as hypocrisy.
    Well your consistency for being wrong is still safe if you feel those are my motivations and my views.

    But lest we forget who the partisan clown of the forum here is, let's re-post your comments:

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well conservatives have to protect the public from those obscene 0.4 sec tit shots from Janet Jackson.
    The notion that you could recognize hypocrisy when you wallow in it every post would require the willing suspension of disbelief.

    Carry on.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Well your consistency for being wrong is still safe if you feel those are my motivations and my views.

    But lest we forget who the partisan clown of the forum here is, let's re-post your comments:



    The notion that you could recognize hypocrisy when you wallow in it every post would require the willing suspension of disbelief.

    Carry on.
    Are you saying conservatives weren't in an uproar over the tit shot? Sorry, but you lack the intellectual integrity obviously to admit that.

    Secondly, you fail to address the FACT AND TRUTH, you are for GOVERNMENT censorship as long as it is something YOU agree with but not for censorship if you don't agree it should be censored by the government.

    Turth Detector with egg on his face, how sad.

    How un -American, but as we have seen from you not a suprise.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 04-29-09 at 09:06 PM.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •