Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 166

Thread: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    If you want to limit my rights to broadcast what I want to, on a frequency that I've paid for and that only consumers who deliberately tune into that frequency can access, then the burden of proof is on YOU to explain why my rights should be limited. It's not up to me to explain why they shouldn't be.
    Once more, we are talking about the REALITY of signing an agreement which limits your rights to broadcast offensive or lewd content over PUBLIC airwaves.

    The strawman you keep attempting to put up just wont walk. The airwaves are not "private" they are of the "public" domain for OBVIOUS reasons already debated.

    The desperate attempt to suggest that I need to explain why YOUR rights should be limited is beyond absurd; it is in the realm of the twilight zone here.

    Carry on.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    You didn't debate anything about the public/private nature of the electomagnetic spectrum. You've only said that it's public because it proves to help your point. But you've never demonstrated why or how they are public. Others have at least shown some reason as to believe the bandwidth in question was private as private companies pay to use it, others are forbidden to use that frequency, those companies buy and own the broadcast equipment, etc. So less you want to actually engage in the debate and try to show why and how the bandwidth in question is public, maybe you should rethink the your penchant for hyperbole and distortion.

    You saying so doesn't make it true.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #113
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Once more, we are talking about the REALITY of signing an agreement which limits your rights to broadcast offensive or lewd content over PUBLIC airwaves.
    You're right. That's how things are right now. I never said that's not the case. I'm only arguing what should be, not what is. Because what is is wrong IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The strawman you keep attempting to put up just wont walk. The airwaves are not "private" they are of the "public" domain for OBVIOUS reasons already debated.
    You're right. That's how things are right now. I never said that's not the case. I'm only arguing what should be, not what is. Because what is is wrong IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The desperate attempt to suggest that I need to explain why YOUR rights should be limited is beyond absurd; it is in the realm of the twilight zone here.
    And that's part of the problem. When people think they can infringe on the rights of others unless they can provide a good reason not to allow that, it flies in the face of "don't tread on me." The burden of proof should be on YOU to show why other people's rights should be limited, it should not be on them to defend themselves and their rights against knee-jerk and tyrannical policies.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You didn't debate anything about the public/private nature of the electomagnetic spectrum. You've only said that it's public because it proves to help your point. But you've never demonstrated why or how they are public. Others have at least shown some reason as to believe the bandwidth in question was private as private companies pay to use it, others are forbidden to use that frequency, those companies buy and own the broadcast equipment, etc. So less you want to actually engage in the debate and try to show why and how the bandwidth in question is public, maybe you should rethink the your penchant for hyperbole and distortion.

    You saying so doesn't make it true.
    You may wish to try reading comprehension before you spew:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005703

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005735

    Your asinine attempts to avoid honest debate are hardly making your weak ineffectual diatribe any more palatable.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,004

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    So from reading this thread it appears...Truth Detector is fine with the Government playing "mommy and daddy" and the government, not the parents, raising our kids, telling them essentially what's "right and wrong", and limiting the freedoms of individual citizens because we must "Think of the Children".

    And this is from someone that laughs at me about being "moderate"......

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    You're right. That's how things are right now. I never said that's not the case. I'm only arguing what should be, not what is. Because what is is wrong IMO.


    You're right. That's how things are right now. I never said that's not the case. I'm only arguing what should be, not what is. Because what is is wrong IMO.


    And that's part of the problem. When people think they can infringe on the rights of others unless they can provide a good reason not to allow that, it flies in the face of "don't tread on me." The burden of proof should be on YOU to show why other people's rights should be limited, it should not be on them to defend themselves and their rights against knee-jerk and tyrannical policies.
    Your comical and uninformed assertions irregardless of the facts are only superseded by Ikari thanking your posts.

    Carry on.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So from reading this thread it appears...Truth Detector is fine with the Government playing "mommy and daddy" and the government, not the parents, raising our kids, telling them essentially what's "right and wrong", and limiting the freedoms of individual citizens because we must "Think of the Children".

    And this is from someone that laughs at me about being "moderate"......
    I see you suffer from the same malady Ikari suffers from; here is a reading summary for you so that you can be informed with your idiotic assertions about what I am attempting to argue:


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005703 (The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.)

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005735 (The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.)

    The only thing more comical than your typical trolling would be seeing you and Ikari thanking each other; that would be a class act.

    Carry on.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You may wish to try reading comprehension before you spew:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005703

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005735

    Your asinine attempts to avoid honest debate are hardly making your weak ineffectual diatribe any more palatable.
    You may wish to use the hunk of gray matter between your ears.

    neither of those are reasons why the airwaves are public. Those are things by which the government currently conducts itself. But those are not reason why the airwaves are public. In fact, the second one was exactly what everyone else is saying should be the only duty of the FCC (do you want to go off on your ridiculously stupid "anarchy" deflect now?). That's protection of property rights and is not a reason why the bandwidth is public. You have not offered any argument as to why it should be considered public, what you linked there were not reasons why it should be considered public. Those are just pathetic, intellectually dishonest deflects; which is typical of your argument style. Regulation does not mean public, lots of private things work under regulation. Government should have interest in protecting property, there is a point to the FCC and that is to enforce property rights. Those aren't arguments for the bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum being public.

    So, again, less you want to actually engage in the debate and try to show why and how the bandwidth in question is public, maybe you should rethink the your penchant for hyperbole and distortion.

    You saying so doesn't make it true.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #119
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Once more, we are talking about the REALITY of signing an agreement which limits your rights to broadcast offensive or lewd content over PUBLIC airwaves.
    Its obvious they are arguing that such terms in the agreement are not consistant with the stated purpose of the FCC. That is, the FCC was created to maintain order in broadcasting and not to censor content. Therefore, it has no compelling reason for censoring the leased airwaves even though it can stipulate whatever terms and conditions it would like.

    It would be like arguing that if you purchase land for a home then the government can regulate what sexual positions are allowed while on the land. Sure, they can put that in the contract and its legally binding but It just doesn't make sense why they would when they are merely overseeing the distribution of land.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,004

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I see you suffer from the same malady Ikari suffers from; here is a reading summary for you so that you can be informed with your idiotic assertions about what I am attempting to argue:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005703 (The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.)

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058005735 (The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.)

    The only thing more comical than your typical trolling would be seeing you and Ikari thanking each other; that would be a class act.

    Carry on.

    Neither of your links are working. Point me to post numbers perhaps? I'd be interseted to see exactly where in this thread you think you've said something that goes against you thinking that the government should be children's "nanny" and that they should act as "mom and dad", using government agencies to enforce rules and regulations limiting the freedom of citizens "For the children" and taking the choice and responsability away from Parents and vesting it instead to the great good and just government.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •