Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 166

Thread: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    I'm all for free speech and free expression of ideas. I'm also for some minimum level of public decency standards.
    I'm not sure I understand your argument. These broadcast signals are "owned" by private citizens, hence they are not public. Enforcing private citizens to abide by some arbitrary code of decency is not the proper role of government.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your argument. These broadcast signals are "owned" by private citizens, hence they are not public. Enforcing private citizens to abide by some arbitrary code of decency is not the proper role of government.
    Wrong, they are licensed to private companies by the Government and regulated.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Damn, what a big surprise, TD not coming back to confront the fact he accused me of wanting Fox News and Limbaugh censored, yet not providing proof.

    One would say that is a "lie spreader".

    Care to back up your proof TD? You are the one said I wanted Limbaugh and Fox News Censored? Or are you going to run away like the last time I confronted you with the truth?
    With 3,000 plus posts and the inability to search through all your posts, this is a pretty safe demand on your part.

    Suffice it to say that I am happy to see that you disagree with any Fairness Doctrine and believe in the 1st amendment rights of people like Rush and Fox News.

    Carry on.

  4. #104
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    With 3,000 plus posts and the inability to search through all your posts, this is a pretty safe demand on your part.
    Maybe the problem here is not that he has asked you to prove what you said about him, but rather, that you carelessly made assumptions and assertions about him that you didn't really know were true.

    Carry on.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Maybe the problem here is not that he has asked you to prove what you said about him, but rather, that you carelessly made assumptions and assertions about him that you didn't really know were true.

    Carry on.
    My assumptions about Nrexsts desperate defense of Liberal agendas are hardly careless. I am sure if one could go back and read ALL of his posts, one could find some assertion or suggestion that Fox or Rush should be taken off the air.

    Suffice it to say, it is a safe demand to make on someone so I will type with more care in the future.

    I am happy to see Liberals on the forum defending Rush's free speech rights and Fox News contributions to the media world.

    Did you have a point related to the thread, or was this just another of your typical attempts to troll my posts?


  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Wrong, they are licensed to private companies by the Government and regulated.
    There is some form of ownership inherent to a licensure, but I understand your point. However, it brings up an interesting question: Why should certain frequencies be considered public property? They are not essential to life and they are physiologically inutile. It seems the reasonable thing to do would be to treat them the same as we do land. They are finite resources which cannot be utilized simultaneously by different individuals with divergent interests. A sound argument establishing the "public" nature of broadcast signals does not appear to exist; perhaps you could convince me otherwise.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There is some form of ownership inherent to a licensure, but I understand your point. However, it brings up an interesting question: Why should certain frequencies be considered public property? They are not essential to life and they are physiologically inutile.
    Because as stated by myself and others, there are frequencies used by the FAA for aircraft communications, Police and Fire and the subsequent anarchy and confusion there would be if the air waves were left "unfettered" by Government control and regulation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It seems the reasonable thing to do would be to treat them the same as we do land. They are finite resources which cannot be utilized simultaneously by different individuals with divergent interests. A sound argument establishing the "public" nature of broadcast signals does not appear to exist; perhaps you could convince me otherwise.
    How does one parcel off a piece of the air? The transmission of sound waves through the air does not follow a specific path, in wanders aimlessly until it has been tuned in so-to-speak.

    Does that help?

    Once more, I cannot fathom what logical argument against such regulation except the absurd anger of those who claim that their 1st Amendment rights are somehow being denied by limiting what they can do, say or see over the public airwaves. Yet everything they want can be obtained by other media means.

    Why the BIG deal, anger and foaming at the mouth denouncement of a Government entity that is NOT governed by partisan politics and is regulated by Congress; the body the people elect to regulate?

  8. #108
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Did you have a point related to the thread
    Yes. It was quite clearly demonstrated that supporting the Federal censorship of TV and Radio airwaves while not supporting certain repercussions of such a policy (the Fairness Doctrine) is hypocritical. But rather than explain why it's not hypocritical in your view, you responded with "this coming from someone who wants to censure Rush & Fox." Not only is that a tu quoque fallacy, and not only have you failed to even support that assertion, but it has nothing to do with the argument that was presented to you. It's a dodge, nothing more.

  9. #109
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Because as stated by myself and others, there are frequencies used by the FAA for aircraft communications, Police and Fire and the subsequent anarchy and confusion there would be if the air waves were left "unfettered" by Government control and regulation.
    I totally agree with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    How does one parcel off a piece of the air? The transmission of sound waves through the air does not follow a specific path, in wanders aimlessly until it has been tuned in so-to-speak.
    We're not talking about sound waves, we're talking about electromagnetic waves. And I think you already answered this question: the airspace is naturally partitioned by different frequencies. Just like land is partitioned by space, and some land belongs to the government for its operations, the airwaves are partitioned by frequencies and some can belong exclusively to the government for those critical operations.


    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Once more, I cannot fathom what logical argument against such regulation except the absurd anger of those who claim that their 1st Amendment rights are somehow being denied by limiting what they can do, say or see over the public airwaves.
    There should never have to be a logical argument against limiting the rights and freedoms of citizens and businesses. There should have to be a logical argument for it instead.

    If you want to limit my rights to broadcast what I want to, on a frequency that I've paid for and that only consumers who deliberately tune into that frequency can access, then the burden of proof is on YOU to explain why my rights should be limited. It's not up to me to explain why they shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 04-30-09 at 03:38 PM.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: The U.S. Supreme Court gives OK to government crackdown on the airwaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Yes. It was quite clearly demonstrated that supporting the Federal censorship of TV and Radio airwaves while not supporting certain repercussions of such a policy (the Fairness Doctrine) is hypocritical. But rather than explain why it's not hypocritical in your view, you responded with "this coming from someone who wants to censure Rush & Fox." Not only is that a tu quoque fallacy, and not only have you failed to even support that assertion, but it has nothing to do with the argument that was presented to you. It's a dodge, nothing more.
    In other words you didn't read my comments.

    Bravo; carry on.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •