Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    And how much Tax Revenue are they generating ?
    It's not currently being taxed but with the current market base, the estimate is somewhere around 1 billion last I read. Currently, it's a bit hazy because it is being treated as a medicinal substance and so taxation is different as opposed to alcohol or tobacco taxes.

    Aren't there local suppliers under federal investigation as we type ?
    Well no ****, sherlock. It's illegal federally so any supplier would naturally be under federal investigation.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million annually in the state of California.



    To a point. Regardless, there are still over 400 dispensaries paying taxes.

    source
    Just imagine if they could tax it like alcohol or cigarettes. And open up to a larger market base.

    Not to mention the savings in not funding marijuana suppression through the criminal justice system.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    If legalized who says the government or guys in lab coats would be the growers or in charge? Legalized pot can be grown at home and it's really not rocket science. I have over the years known a number of amateurs and a couple of big time growers and they both had equal or very similar THC levels as measured by many regular users whom I also knew at the time. The limit on amounts will be regulated because of taxes like it is with alcohol.
    An article in Omni Magazine many years ago told of a study comparing the effects of beer Vs pot in college students. The conclusion was funny. It said if after consumption the goal was to clear a high jump bar set very low the beer drinker was physically unable to complete the task. Where as the pot smoker was perfectly capable of clearing the bar but kept forgetting what the task was. It was written as a joke but they explained it was their was of showing the contrast in the effects. I know because of the way it was written is why I remember it 30 some years later.

  4. #54
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Nobody said that's not the case. The argument was that those policies are unconstitutional, not that they don't exist. That's why I said "should."
    Thatls the point -- the arent unconstitutional, as established by the SCotUS.

    If you turn the water off it's not regulation, it's prohibition.
    Prohibition is obviously part of regulation.

    Furthermore, the interstate commerce clause doesn't give Congress control over production (the faucet),
    The faucet doesnt produce the water.

    it gives Congress regulatory control over the sale of commodities (water from the faucet) across state lines.
    The ICC covers anything that affects commerce. This includes production.

  5. #55
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Thatls the point -- the arent unconstitutional, as established by the SCotUS.
    SCOTUS interprets the Constitution, and their interpretations have binding consequences, but the simple fact they ruled X doesn't automatically mean X is Constitutional. SCOTUS has made unconstitutional rulings in the past. (Dredd Scott, Roe v. Wade, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Prohibition is obviously part of regulation.
    Maybe in the same sense that death is part of life. But when you're dead you aren't living anymore, and when you prohibit you aren't regulating anymore. How can you regulate something that you prohibit out of existence? That doesn't make sense. Regulate means you allow it with some restrictions. Prohibit means you don't allow it under any circumstances. They aren't the same thing at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The faucet doesnt produce the water.
    That's true, but it's also irrelevant. Unless the faucet is used for commerce across state lines, either directly or indirectly, the ICC does not apply to it and thus the Fed should have no authority to turn it off or even regulate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The ICC covers anything that affects commerce. This includes production.
    No. The ICC covers anything that affects interstate commerce. Do you acknowledge the difference between interstate and intrastate?
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 04-28-09 at 01:35 PM.

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    SCOTUS interprets the Constitution, and their interpretations have binding consequences, but the simple fact they ruled X doesn't automatically mean X is Constitutional. SCOTUS has made unconstitutional rulings in the past. (Dredd Scott, Roe v. Wade, etc.)
    And... if and when they overturn the currently held rulings regarding the commerce clause, you'll have something.
    Until then, you cannot aruge that any of that is unconstitutional.

    Maybe in the same sense that death is part of life.
    No.... in the sense that having the power to regulate a spigot includes the power to turn the spigot off (and on).

    No. The ICC covers anything that affects interstate commerce. Do you acknowledge the difference between interstate and intrastate?
    We've been over this - the ICC --also-- covers any and all intrastate commerce that affects interstate commerce.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And... if and when they overturn the currently held rulings regarding the commerce clause, you'll have something.
    Until then, you cannot aruge that any of that is unconstitutional.
    Why not? Roe v. Wade was a SCOTUS decision and yet people say all the time that it's unconstitutional, and with good reason IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No.... in the sense that having the power to regulate a spigot includes the power to turn the spigot off (and on).

    We've been over this - the ICC --also-- covers any and all intrastate commerce that affects interstate commerce.
    I realize what the SCOTUS has ruled in the past, and I disagree with it. I believe they have made erroneous assumptions to give the Fed authority over the States it was not intended to have. Especially as it pertains to prohibiting things that don't even involve commerce, like cultivation entirely for private use.

    If the Fed had the inherent Constitutional authority to altogether prohibit substances under the ICC, then the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 would have been unnecessary. They could have just prohibited the drug, but instead they had to manipulate the law by requiring a licence to posssess it, and then never issuing any licences. By some bass-ackwards logic, it was assumed that if you possess marijuana, you must have obtained it through some sort of commerce. Which completely falls on its face if somebody grew it themselves for their own personal use and not for selling.

  8. #58
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    .
    I realize what the SCOTUS has ruled in the past, and I disagree with it.
    You;re free to diagree.
    But "Constitutional/Unconstitutional" is a determination made by the SCotUS, and so if you're going to disagree with the court using those terms, you're wrong.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You;re free to diagree.
    But "Constitutional/Unconstitutional" is a determination made by the SCotUS, and so if you're going to disagree with the court using those terms, you're wrong.
    Awesome. I have this one bookmarked for the next time someone says RvW is unconstitutional.

  10. #60
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Awesome. I have this one bookmarked for the next time someone says RvW is unconstitutional.
    IIRC, the general argument is that RvW is a bad decision based on X Y and Z.
    Thats different than arguring that the ban on banning abortion is unconstitutional.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •