Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Really? Because I think a lot of Californians who get their pot from licensed outlets might disagree with you.
    Did a whole bunch of other Californians buy it in a guys house tho ?

    Do you think all marijuana trade in that state now passes thru these wannabe amsterdam cafe's ?

  2. #42
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Did a whole bunch of other Californians buy it in a guys house tho ?
    Would i buy home brewed beer from "some guys house?" Or would a smoker buy home grown tobacco, in a bag, from "some guys house?" Last time i checked, the new taxes on tobacco have not forced any of my cigarette/cigar smoking friends to "grow their own."

    Do you think all marijuana trade in that state now passes thru these wannabe amsterdam cafe's ?
    Of course not, but that is really not the point. The reason the majority of cannabis transactions are not made in dispenseries is due to: A.) It can become public information if someone is a licensed medical cannabis user. B.) They cannot obtain a medical license.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    To those that flaunt the driving under the influence argument. High intensity workouts produce a similar euphoria as achieved through cannabis consumption. I know this to be true because i am a cannabis user, perform high intensity training, and sourced the premise in a paper a few years ago.

    After 30+ rounds sparring at my gym, i tend to stall my car in the middle of the intersection because my legs are fried, and i am in another world.

    source
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Did a whole bunch of other Californians buy it in a guys house tho ?

    Do you think all marijuana trade in that state now passes thru these wannabe amsterdam cafe's ?
    I never made that argument at all. These "wannabe amsterdam cafe's", as you so vapidly put it, are currently regulated like pharmacies. Not every "stoner" has access to them. However, those who do utilize them seem to be very happy with them and if the market base were to expand, I am more than certain that they would become the outlet of choice for most people.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Sez You. If a guy grows weed and another buys it, and both of them could care less about your opinion, then what is your "should" really worth ? Why should a pot dollar do anything but pay a pot producer ? Sin taxes are not rationally defendable, so you are hard pressed to convince me that dodging them is not the smart play. If a stupid person is convinced that I owe him money, when I don't, should I pay him, or avoid him ?

    The artificial price exists because of the illegality. Try to steal this value with a sin tax, and the underground producer lowers his price, in a price war, till both are at production cost. Once you reach production cost, there's no new revenue stream in the first place. You people need to think about the next step of your actions. There is no money in legal pot. Try to go get it, and price war drives price down to production cost. The artificial value cannot be appropriated as taxes.
    That's an interesting theory, but it's not rooted in history or reality. If you think that's going to happen with weed, then explain why almost everyone who buys alcohol and tobacco gets it from the store instead of the guy who made it in his bath tub?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    I believe speakeasies were replaced by "keggers", and the smugglers are still in business, just with a new cargo.

    You can still find moonshine if you try.
    I noted those exceptions and you completely missed the point.

    Exactly how big of a problem are keggers and moonshiners today in terms of lost tax revenue? Almost negligible. Why? Because your theory that everyone will continue to buy from the black market instead of legitimate businesses to avoid taxes doesn't hold water. We don't have a significant problem with people buying alcohol and tobacco on the black market, and you haven't explained why weed or any other drug would be any different. Anyone can order the ingredients to brew their own beer online. So why do people still buy Budweiser from 7-11 and pay all those sin taxes? Because you're wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Weed is already safe
    Black market weed is NOT safe. It routinely gets doused in gasoline, laundry detergent, and other harsh chemicals so as to hide the scent from drug dogs. It might have even spent some time up someone's ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    it does not need to be regulated
    Yes it does, see above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    and your "authorized" is actually meaningless.
    Well, be sure not to explain why or anything. That's bound to convince somebody.

  5. #45
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    To those that flaunt the driving under the influence argument. High intensity workouts produce a similar euphoria as achieved through cannabis consumption. I know this to be true because i am a cannabis user, perform high intensity training, and sourced the premise in a paper a few years ago.

    After 30+ rounds sparring at my gym, i tend to stall my car in the middle of the intersection because my legs are fried, and i am in another world.

    source
    Even besides that - People who don't smoke weed, for the sole reason that it's illegal and no other reason, are law-abiding people by definition and it makes no sense to assume they would start driving under the influence of marijuana when legalized. People who would drive under the influence are already doing exactly that, regardless of the legality of weed. People who don't smoke because it's illegal are not suddenly going to start breaking laws after legalization. Data in other countries supports this.

    More:

    There is no compelling evidence that marijuana contributes substantially to traffic accidents and fatalities. At some doses, marijuana affects perception and psychomotor performances- changes which could impair driving ability. However, in driving studies, marijuana produces little or no car-handling impairment- consistently less than produced by low moderate doses of alcohol and many legal medications. In contrast to alcohol, which tends to increase risky driving practices, marijuana tends to make subjects more cautious. Surveys of fatally injured drivers show that when THC is detected in the blood, alcohol is almost always detected as well. For some individuals, marijuana may play a role in bad driving. The overall rate of highway accidents appears not to be significantly affected by marijuana's widespread use in society.

    Myths and Facts About Marijuana

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I never made that argument at all. These "wannabe amsterdam cafe's", as you so vapidly put it, are currently regulated like pharmacies. Not every "stoner" has access to them. However, those who do utilize them seem to be very happy with them and if the market base were to expand, I am more than certain that they would become the outlet of choice for most people.
    And how much Tax Revenue are they generating ?

    Aren't there local suppliers under federal investigation as we type ?

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    We don't have a significant problem with people buying alcohol and tobacco on the black market,
    Its comin.

    I'm tracking down my black market cigarette supplier right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Black market weed is NOT safe. It routinely gets doused in gasoline, laundry detergent, and other harsh chemicals so as to hide the scent from drug dogs. It might have even spent some time up someone's ass.
    Well, thanks for exposing your complete ignorance of the realities of drug use.

    No one would buy it if it smelled like gas, so the rest of your stone stupid hyperbole is as easily dismissed as you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Well, be sure not to explain why or anything. That's bound to convince somebody.
    Your "authority" is made up. I'll be my own authority thanks and I will regulate by voting with my dollar.

  8. #48
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    And how much Tax Revenue are they generating ?
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million annually in the state of California.

    Aren't there local suppliers under federal investigation as we type ?
    To a point. Regardless, there are still over 400 dispensaries paying taxes.

    source
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #49
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the act give those agencies the power t do that? If Congress gave them the power, then how can you argue there was no interaction w/ congress?

    Are you arguing that Congress doesnt have the power to give this power to a federal agency? If so, what do you base that on?
    Presumably he means that the constitution does not grant the feds the right to ban drugs(loose interpretations aside.).
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #50
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Judge: It's 'high time' to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Its comin.

    I'm tracking down my black market cigarette supplier right now.



    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Well, thanks for exposing your complete ignorance of the realities of drug use.

    No one would buy it if it smelled like gas, so the rest of your stone stupid hyperbole is as easily dismissed as you.
    "CBP, Clinton County Sheriff’s Department Seize Marijuana Found in Gas Tank"

    Link

    "The group wrapped the marijuana in dozens of layers of cellophane sprinkled with laundry detergent and fabric softener to conceal the odor of the leaves."

    Link

    You were saying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Your "authority" is made up. I'll be my own authority thanks and I will regulate by voting with my dollar.
    When I said marijuana should be sold by an "authorized" source, I was drawing a parallel to liquor licences. Do you disagree with the requirements for businesses to have a licence before they can sell alcohol?
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 04-28-09 at 01:23 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •