Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And since it is in no way relevant to a discussion on how and why Mexico is harder hit, then one can only surmise that the OP has some sort of "issue" with Mexico and hence latinos.. I mean he all but admits it by agreeing with the idiotic idea that Mexico is a near failed state....so I ask again, what is the relevance of the Meixcan drug war to the pandemic that has supposedly started in Mexico City?
    The fact that the US border HAS TO BE SEALED.

    If the US border wasn't wide open, the chances of these infected invaders entering the US is minimized and the issue would be Mexico's problem.

    Also, if the borders were sealed, there would be twenty to thirty million more Mexicans in Mexico, where they belong, for MEXICO's economy and government to support. Bearing the burden of being welfare support is one of the reason the US economy is faltering.

  2. #32
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The fact that the US border HAS TO BE SEALED.

    If the US border wasn't wide open, the chances of these infected invaders entering the US is minimized and the issue would be Mexico's problem.

    Also, if the borders were sealed, there would be twenty to thirty million more Mexicans in Mexico, where they belong, for MEXICO's economy and government to support. Bearing the burden of being welfare support is one of the reason the US economy is faltering.
    Whole other discussion, and what does it have to do with why it is worse in Mexico (swine flu wise)?
    PeteEU

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Whole other discussion, and what does it have to do with why it is worse in Mexico (swine flu wise)?
    It's worse in Mexico because their sanitation standards are lower.

    Which is a damn good reason to keep them out of the US.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    It's worse in Mexico because their sanitation standards are lower.
    This is not so.

  5. #35
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    FIRST CASES OF SWINE FLU IN THE UK!!!

    BBC NEWS | UK | Swine flu cases confirmed in UK

    Two people admitted to a Scottish hospital after returning from a holiday in Mexico have been confirmed as the UK's first swine flu cases.

    Scottish Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said both individuals were recovering well in a Lanarkshire hospital from mild cases of the virus.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    This is not so.
    Okay.

    It's worse in Mexico because they have nationalized health care?

    Know what?

    I don't care why it's worse in Mexico, only that it doesn't come to the US. Since it has come to the US, we need to seal the borders and stop any further outbreaks. That makes perfect epidemiological sense.

    So Obama won't do it.

  7. #37
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Very simple....

    Mexico City is one of the biggest cities on the planet and one of the most polluted. The amount respiratory problems among the population is considerably higher in Mexico City than elsewhere, and since flue especially hits people with respiratory problems hard, and that the present flue vaccine given to said people is ineffective.. then you have the perfect cocktail for many deaths.

    But keep up with you conspiracy theories and rampant latino hate, it is entertaining after all.
    That theory has a few problems. First of all, most of the victims were not elderly people...they were young adults. Respiratory problems aren't something that just spring up because you're in a city with pollution...they come from decades of living in that city. A 25-year-old, even if they have lived their entire life in Mexico City, is unlikely to have any respiratory problems. Most of the people who have died have been perfectly healthy.

    Furthermore, that is not sufficient to explain why it's more fatal in Mexico. San Luis Potosi has seen a wave of fatal influenza cases as well, despite being nowhere near as polluted as Mexico City. On the other hand, San Diego is a heavily polluted city more on par with Mexico City, yet it hasn't seen any fatalities.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #38
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The fact that the US border HAS TO BE SEALED.

    If the US border wasn't wide open, the chances of these infected invaders entering the US is minimized and the issue would be Mexico's problem.

    Also, if the borders were sealed, there would be twenty to thirty million more Mexicans in Mexico, where they belong, for MEXICO's economy and government to support. Bearing the burden of being welfare support is one of the reason the US economy is faltering.
    You have GOT to be kidding. You think ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are spreading the virus? The American cases were contracted from the American visiting Mexico City, or being in contact with someone who did.

    But hey, any excuse to hate The Brown People is valid, right? The ends justify the means.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #39
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I don't care why it's worse in Mexico, only that it doesn't come to the US. Since it has come to the US, we need to seal the borders and stop any further outbreaks. That makes perfect epidemiological sense.
    Uhh no. Actually it's one of the most ****ing retarded things I have ever heard. Unless the US government forbids all Americans to travel anywhere outside of the country, and forbids foreigners from anywhere in the world from visiting America, it can't be contained. And even if they did, someone would do it anyway. And even if they didn't, it's already here and could potentially spread. If this truly becomes a pandemic, it will be impossible to contain.

    Your argument has nothing to do with preventing a pandemic. It really boils down to two things: A) You want to preserve the illusion of control that we can somehow prevent a pandemic, and B) You hate Mexicans.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #40
    Student Democrat4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    06-26-10 @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    194

    Re: Swine flu is worse in Mexico, but why?

    There are outbreaks in the US in Iowa and Kansas, both states we know do not have on overwhelming population density, NY and California are both states with a large population density, but population density affects the amount of transmission but not as much as the prospect of contamination. We have free trade with Mexico, so we import alot of goods, and we know the Mexicans have a lower standard of living, with the majority of the population working in US plants across the border, so the chance of food contamination is much higher than person-to-person transmission.




    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Okay.

    It's worse in Mexico because they have nationalized health care?
    Its worse in Mexico because they have a lower standard of living, they bathe in well water and rivers, most of the country doesn't have healthcare, so the Swine Flu infects them and they contune on with their lives, probably contaminating their water systems .
    Know what?

    I don't care why it's worse in Mexico, only that it doesn't come to the US. Since it has come to the US, we need to seal the borders and stop any further outbreaks. That makes perfect epidemiological sense.

    So Obama won't do it.
    The US already has plenty of cases in the US, so closing the borders and causing alarm, and just making the Mexicans cross the border illegaly will not help the outbreaks, only make them worse.

    Obama is hanling the situatioin as well he can, missing a Surgeon General, CDC head, and other important health officials. So stop being an idiot and saying stupid things because your scared. The world is scared, but if the government panics, the population will.

    So overall here are my reasons why the Swine Flu is worse in Mexico:
    -Lower standard of living.
    -Under-funded Government lacking the resources needed to fight a pandemic.
    Quote Originally Posted by President Barack Hussein Obama's Inaugural Address
    Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America they will be met.
    If I don't got it, you don't got it, got it?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •