Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

  1. #51
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Is swine flu like the rage virus?

    We will know whats happening in about 28 days.
    Hey, I'll get back to you guys... I'm gonna go get my riot gear and a shotgun.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  2. #52
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Hey, I'll get back to you guys... I'm gonna go get my riot gear and a shotgun.


    Duke


    I love zombie/outbreak type movies.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #53
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post


    I love zombie/outbreak type movies.
    I must say, speaking as a self-styled intellectual film critic (said with no small degree of self-mocking), that whole genre must be the absolute most fun to watch.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think we turn down the alarmist thought a little bit.

    Lets review some things first.

    All the deaths have been reported in Mexico. A third world country were medical care and overall general health isn't all that great.

    Second the MSM is going to have a field day being sensational in their reporting of the events that transpire.

    Third if and or when it does spread, there is nothing you can do to avoid it for the most part. If and/or when you get sick treat as you do any other time you get the flu, lots of electrolyte rich fluids and plenty of rest.

    Last but most importantly, do not take antibiotics to treat this, antibiotics only work against bacteria.

    I think we will get through this just as we get through everything else.
    Its seems scary but as of yet no one in the U.S. or any other first world country has died of this.
    While it might be comforting to think that advanced medical care and overall general health will prevent an outbreak similar to the 1918 flu pandemic, the truth is we have just been lucky. Mexicans might be a LITTLE less healthy overall than Americans, but we aren't talking about Zimbabwe here. Furthermore, the victims have mostly been healthy young adults and middle-aged people.

    There is no particular reason that this couldn't become extremely virulent and extremely deadly throughout the entire world. Eventually the world will see another enormous flu pandemic...and this looks like as good a candidate as any.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think we turn down the alarmist thought a little bit.

    Lets review some things first.

    All the deaths have been reported in Mexico. A third world country were medical care and overall general health isn't all that great.

    Second the MSM is going to have a field day being sensational in their reporting of the events that transpire.

    Third if and or when it does spread, there is nothing you can do to avoid it for the most part. If and/or when you get sick treat as you do any other time you get the flu, lots of electrolyte rich fluids and plenty of rest.

    Last but most importantly, do not take antibiotics to treat this, antibiotics only work against bacteria.

    I think we will get through this just as we get through everything else.
    Its seems scary but as of yet no one in the U.S. or any other first world country has died of this.
    Actually, while antibiotics don't kill the virus, they do ward off secondary bacterial infections, which is what most people die of when they get the flu.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #56
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    While it might be comforting to think that advanced medical care and overall general health will prevent an outbreak similar to the 1918 flu pandemic, the truth is we have just been lucky. Mexicans might be a LITTLE less healthy overall than Americans, but we aren't talking about Zimbabwe here. Furthermore, the victims have mostly been healthy young adults and middle-aged people.

    There is no particular reason that this couldn't become extremely virulent and extremely deadly throughout the entire world. Eventually the world will see another enormous flu pandemic...and this looks like as good a candidate as any.
    Mexico is pretty freakin poor. Not Zimbabwe but still very very poor.

    We have no idea the circumstances these people existed in before they got sick and people being alarmist and speculating doesn't add any value nor will it prevent any more infections.

    I know having more advanced medical won't prevent an outbreak but if someone already has an underlying sickness getting the flu on top of that makes it a pretty ****ty situation.

    The news outlets and people in general are starting to be alarmist.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #57
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Actually, while antibiotics don't kill the virus, they do ward off secondary bacterial infections, which is what most people die of when they get the flu.
    Most often the ones who die of the flu already have compromised immune systems.

    The general population should not be taking antibiotics for the flu.
    It is part of why we are getting super strains of bacteria.

    Every time I talk to someone who got the flu at work they say "I went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics so I'll be ok".

    That is absolute rubbish.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #58
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Mexico is pretty freakin poor. Not Zimbabwe but still very very poor.
    Mexico is considered an upper-middle income country. And Mexico City (the center of the outbreak) is wealthier still. It is a place where people watch television, use transportation other than their feet to get to work, and can afford to buy surgical masks. In other words, not a lot different from many American cities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla
    We have no idea the circumstances these people existed in before they got sick and people being alarmist and speculating doesn't add any value nor will it prevent any more infections.
    We do know the circumstances. Most of the people who died were healthy young adults who had no contact with swine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla
    I know having more advanced medical won't prevent an outbreak but if someone already has an underlying sickness getting the flu on top of that makes it a pretty ****ty situation.
    But that's what's so scary about this. Most of these people DIDN'T have any underlying sickness, which is a hallmark of a pandemic flu.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla
    The news outlets and people in general are starting to be alarmist.
    This is a health emergency; they can and should report it as much as possible. When the media zeroes in on something like mad cow disease with virtually zero pandemic potential, then I will agree with you. But this is serious and seems like a very good candidate to become a major pandemic. The 1918 flu pandemic killed more people than World War I. It also killed more people than the Black Death in the 1340s...and managed to kill as many people in 25 weeks as HIV has killed in 25 years.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 04-26-09 at 09:56 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Mexico is considered an upper-middle income country. And Mexico City (the center of the outbreak) is wealthier still. It is a place where people watch television, use transportation other than their feet to get to work, and can afford to buy surgical masks. In other words, not a lot different from many American cities.
    What I've heard is that people all over the world are already infected with this form of flu.

    That tells me at least that it has been around a little while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    We do know the circumstances. Most of the people who died were healthy young adults who had no contact with swine.
    Ok but what else? where they in the poor side of the city or what?


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    But that's what's so scary about this. Most of these people DIDN'T have any underlying sickness, which is a hallmark of a pandemic flu.
    Ok thats fine but how many people didn't report they were sick?
    How many of those survived just fine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is a health emergency; they can and should report it as much as possible. When the media zeroes in on something like mad cow disease with virtually zero pandemic potential, then I will agree with you. But this is serious and seems like a very good candidate to become a major pandemic. The 1918 flu pandemic killed more people than World War I. It also killed more people than the Black Death in the 1340s...and managed to kill as many people in 25 weeks as HIV has killed in 25 years.
    Its important but the containment time has passed and there is nothing you can do except hope your immune system will be able to fight it off.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Its important but the containment time has passed and there is nothing you can do except hope your immune system will be able to fight it off.
    Harry, if that is what you choose to do, fine that's your call. But I think it is ill-advised to say there is NOTHING you can do but hope your immune system fights it off.

    Isolation and using PPE if you must go out is one way of avoiding catching the flu. If you choose not to do this, that's your call... others may have different priorities, depending on the circumstances.

    There are also antiviral drugs, one of which has been determined to be effective against this strain of H1N1.

    If you choose to do nothing but hope for the best, that's your decision, but allow others the luxury of making their own choices rather than telling them there's nothing anyone can do, which isn't correct.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •