Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

  1. #31
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Heh, I don't know if you noticed, but the containment train left the station quite some time ago.

    More like, boost your immune system. There are people recovering from this, which means they have stronger immune systems.

    Eat right, exercise, don't drink alcohol, sleep well, take echinacea, yadda yadda yadda, wacka wacka wacka.
    Well, of course that is good advice but what does it say that the fatalities have been young to middle aged people rather than the young and old?

    OBL 11/24/02

  2. #32
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    If the HN51 spreads, we are screwed. Contain it.
    Few points of clarification:

    1. Technical quibble: the nomenclature is H5N1, not HN51.
    2. H5N1 is the Avian flu strain roaming around the Pacific rim the past few years. It has not (yet) made a broad leap to humans. It has been especially worrisome to public health officials, because where humans do contract the virus, it has a mortality rate approaching 50% (for reference, the mortality rate in Mexico City currently appears to be around 7%, and the mortality rate of the Spanish Influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 has been estimated at "only" 2.5%.)
    3. The flu strain in Mexico City has been identified as H1N1. This is the same viral strain as the Spanish Influenza of 1918-1919.
    4. While the flu strain in Mexico City is referenced as "swine flu", the viral DNA sequences contain human, swine, and avian flu genetic sequences.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    I think we turn down the alarmist thought a little bit.

    Lets review some things first.

    All the deaths have been reported in Mexico. A third world country were medical care and overall general health isn't all that great.

    Second the MSM is going to have a field day being sensational in their reporting of the events that transpire.

    Third if and or when it does spread, there is nothing you can do to avoid it for the most part. If and/or when you get sick treat as you do any other time you get the flu, lots of electrolyte rich fluids and plenty of rest.

    Last but most importantly, do not take antibiotics to treat this, antibiotics only work against bacteria.

    I think we will get through this just as we get through everything else.
    Its seems scary but as of yet no one in the U.S. or any other first world country has died of this.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #34
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    More flu deaths in Mexico; U.S. declares public health emergency | World | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

    Harry Guerrilla is right to tone down the alarm. However, some alarm and some caution is appropriate.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    More flu deaths in Mexico; U.S. declares public health emergency | World | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

    Harry Guerrilla is right to tone down the alarm. However, some alarm and some caution is appropriate.
    My preparations for such an event will be to buy some extra Tylenol and a couple gallons of Gatorade or Poweraid.

    That is about all you can do.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think we turn down the alarmist thought a little bit.

    ...
    Third if and or when it does spread, there is nothing you can do to avoid it for the most part. If and/or when you get sick treat as you do any other time you get the flu, lots of electrolyte rich fluids and plenty of rest.

    I think we will get through this just as we get through everything else.
    Its seems scary but as of yet no one in the U.S. or any other first world country has died of this.
    "Alarmist" is one thing. Being aware of a potential threat that could be quite serious is another. While, as of yet, it has not gone pandemic, there seems to be a high potential for it. I'd also note we're overdue for a pandemic and the CDC has been watching for one to begin for years.

    There are things you can do to minimize your chance of catching this. Staying home during the heaviest waves of infection in your area is the best one; don't come into contact with carriers. If you must go out, wearing a surgical mask and gloves, and decon when you get home, will reduce your exposure a great deal.

    The 1918-19 Swine Flu pandemic was more than a little disruptive of society and the economy; there are some pretty chilling accounts about it. Consider that our modern society is far more dependent on transportation of goods and the "on time, just in time" supply philosophy, and you can see where having enough food, meds and other supplies put away to last you a few weeks of isolation is wise.

    7% fatality is not the end of the world, but it is significant. What if 7 of every 100 people you knew died? 7 of every 100 people in the nation, in the world? And not just the very young and very old, but the healthy mature population... the problems could be substantial and the after-effects lasting.

    No, don't panic...but do be aware, if this goes pandemic it will probably not be simply "just another flu season, ho-hum".

    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #37
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    My preparations for such an event will be to buy some extra Tylenol and a couple gallons of Gatorade or Poweraid.

    That is about all you can do.
    Actually Pedialyte would be better, or a supply of sea salt.

    As well as green tea, ginseng/ginger root, echinacea, and cinnamon.

  8. #38
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Well, of course that is good advice but what does it say that the fatalities have been young to middle aged people rather than the young and old?
    I don't know. It certainly doesn't look good on the surface of it. But this is pretty new so unless a new story just came out in the last few hours that I don't know about, we don't know all the circumstances surrounding those who've recovered versus those who died. So until they find that it's actually exacerbating the flu, I'm going to go with occam's razor and keep my immune system healthy.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 04-26-09 at 03:53 PM.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    "Alarmist" is one thing. Being aware of a potential threat that could be quite serious is another. While, as of yet, it has not gone pandemic, there seems to be a high potential for it. I'd also note we're overdue for a pandemic and the CDC has been watching for one to begin for years.
    It sounds crappy to say it but I don't really flinch at it because I will be exposed to it at some point.

    Virus' are sneaky lil bastards and there is not much you really can do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    There are things you can do to minimize your chance of catching this. Staying home during the heaviest waves of infection in your area is the best one; don't come into contact with carriers. If you must go out, wearing a surgical mask and gloves, and decon when you get home, will reduce your exposure a great deal.
    Most of those things in the end won't be practical to my life and I will most likely be exposed to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The 1918-19 Swine Flu pandemic was more than a little disruptive of society and the economy; there are some pretty chilling accounts about it. Consider that our modern society is far more dependent on transportation of goods and the "on time, just in time" supply philosophy, and you can see where having enough food, meds and other supplies put away to last you a few weeks of isolation is wise.
    It is possible to hold up and hope it passes but again its not practical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    7% fatality is not the end of the world, but it is significant. What if 7 of every 100 people you knew died? 7 of every 100 people in the nation, in the world? And not just the very young and very old, but the healthy mature population... the problems could be substantial and the after-effects lasting.
    I don't know 100 people much less than 50.

    All I know is that its probably similar to the regular flu and that If I can beat that I'll do what I normally do to beat this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    No, don't panic...but do be aware, if this goes pandemic it will probably not be simply "just another flu season, ho-hum".

    G.
    Its not another ho-hum but then again it is.

    The regular flu is pandemic every year. It kills people as well.

    This one will kill more people, once you get it all you can do is treat yourself in the best manner possible.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: SNAP ANALYSIS-New swine flu likely widespread, experts say

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Actually Pedialyte would be better, or a supply of sea salt.

    As well as green tea, ginseng/ginger root, echinacea, and cinnamon.
    As far as I have read most of those herb things are bunk.

    Pedialyte is better but I've noticed that I feel better after drinking lots of one of the "ades" than just drinking regular water.

    I've got dehydrated before guzzling water when I had the flu.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •