Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    SEOUL, South Korea North Korea has restarted its nuclear facilities to harvest weapons-grade plutonium, an official said Saturday, in an escalation of the communist state's standoff with the international community over its nuclear and missile programs.

    The move "will contribute to bolstering the nuclear deterrence for self-defense in every way to cope with the increasing military threats from the hostile forces," the North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in comments carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.
    FOXNews.com - N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities - North Korea | Map | Government

    Answer me this Obama fans, N. Korea has restarted it's nuclear plant, and clearly states they are developing nuclear weapons. They can lob missiles into Japan, and Theoretically hit Alaska, Guam and Hawaii, if they can fine tune it, they could hit the western seaboard.

    Now, your favorite best president ever, is looking to slash missile defense and make big cut backs in defending our nation.

    Does this seem very prudent to anyone?

    I know, what's the likiehood N. Korea will launch a nuclear weapon at us, why should we worry right?

    History is full of situations where tragedy struck because people thought they were immune, that "it cannot happen to us".

    Barak Obama has not been a very strong leader, and again, history shows weakness leads to disaster.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,292

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    We should worry because their likely target, South Korea, is an ally and home to several thousand Americans.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    We should worry because their likely target, South Korea, is an ally and home to several thousand Americans.
    Several thousands? Try over 30k troops for starters.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #4
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,292

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Several thousands? Try over 30k troops for starters.
    30 would fall into the category of several.

    Having been stationed on Okinawa for 5+ years, I'm aware of the number of Americans in South Korea. I didn't realize one was required to display precise numerical accuracy when trying to make a larger point.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  5. #5
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    FOXNews.com - N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities - North Korea | Map | Government

    Answer me this Obama fans, N. Korea has restarted it's nuclear plant, and clearly states they are developing nuclear weapons. They can lob missiles into Japan, and Theoretically hit Alaska, Guam and Hawaii, if they can fine tune it, they could hit the western seaboard.

    Now, your favorite best president ever, is looking to slash missile defense and make big cut backs in defending our nation.

    Does this seem very prudent to anyone?
    I was curious to see the extent of the Obama "big cut backs in defending our nation", so I did a little research. For 2009 under the Bush Administration, our defense budget rose to $515.4 billion, with an additional emergency, discretionary, and supplemental allocation of $135 billion, bringing the total defense budget to $651.2 billion (source: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy...et/defense.pdf ). Obama proposed increasing - not decreasing, or "making big cut backs" - the total amount of defense spending done by the Bush Administration to $663.7 billion for 2010 (source: AFP: Obama seeks 663.7 bln for 2010 defense spending ). The base defense budget Obama proposed is higher than 2009 as well, around $533.7 billion. Obama called for the addition of $130 billion to this figure a few months ago ( Source: Obama Seeks $75.5 Billion in Emergency War Funding for Rest of Fiscal Year - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com ).

    So what you have is a base defense spending increase and an additional funding increase by the Obama Administration of roughly what, around $18 billion and (a proposed) $12.5 billion respectively?

    Despite Obama's call for increased defense spending, the argument for missile defense stands. Is it a good idea to reduce funding, especially given the recent actions of North Korea? I'd say no. But I think it's unfair to paint Obama as a President who seeks to cut defense spending overall, as he's demonstrated the opposite.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    30 would fall into the category of several.

    Having been stationed on Okinawa for 5+ years, I'm aware of the number of Americans in South Korea. I didn't realize one was required to display precise numerical accuracy when trying to make a larger point.
    People have a hard time with numbers, I wasn't meaning to be a jerk to you honestly, I was just clarifying, and I came of snarky, sorry.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #7
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I was curious to see the extent of the Obama "big cut backs in defending our nation", so I did a little research. For 2009 under the Bush Administration, our defense budget rose to $515.4 billion, with an additional emergency, discretionary, and supplemental allocation of $135 billion, bringing the total defense budget to $651.2 billion (source: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy...et/defense.pdf ). Obama proposed increasing - not decreasing, or "making big cut backs" - the total amount of defense spending done by the Bush Administration to $663.7 billion for 2010 (source: AFP: Obama seeks 663.7 bln for 2010 defense spending ). The base defense budget Obama proposed is higher than 2009 as well, around $533.7 billion. Obama called for the addition of $130 billion to this figure a few months ago ( Source: Obama Seeks $75.5 Billion in Emergency War Funding for Rest of Fiscal Year - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com ).

    So what you have is a base defense spending increase and an additional funding increase by the Obama Administration of roughly what, around $18 billion and (a proposed) $12.5 billion respectively?

    Despite Obama's call for increased defense spending, the argument for missile defense stands. Is it a good idea to reduce funding, especially given the recent actions of North Korea? I'd say no. But I think it's unfair to paint Obama as a President who seeks to cut defense spending overall, as he's demonstrated the opposite.
    Obama has called to cut back our nuclear weapons, slow or stop new weapon systems, cut back on missile defense.

    He's been forced, by the reality of "oh ****, I'm President and these war thins gonna cost money", so he's forced to spend more then he wanted too. He said he'd focus the war on Afghanistan and the Taliban, what you're seeing is the increased costs associated with refocusing the military to that end, and the draw down in Iraq will not come cheap.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #8
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,292

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    People have a hard time with numbers, I wasn't meaning to be a jerk to you honestly, I was just clarifying, and I came of snarky, sorry.
    No worries.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    FOXNews.com - N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities - North Korea | Map | Government

    Answer me this Obama fans, N. Korea has restarted it's nuclear plant, and clearly states they are developing nuclear weapons. They can lob missiles into Japan, and Theoretically hit Alaska, Guam and Hawaii, if they can fine tune it, they could hit the western seaboard.

    Now, your favorite best president ever, is looking to slash missile defense and make big cut backs in defending our nation.

    Does this seem very prudent to anyone?

    I know, what's the likiehood N. Korea will launch a nuclear weapon at us, why should we worry right?

    History is full of situations where tragedy struck because people thought they were immune, that "it cannot happen to us".

    Barak Obama has not been a very strong leader, and again, history shows weakness leads to disaster.
    With N. Korea in the shadows of big daddy China this is a no win situation for the U.S. I honestly don't think there will be a thing we can do except deal with them having big weapons. If we put any more pressure then we may create situation worse than the cold war.

  10. #10
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: N. Korea Says It Has Restarted Nuclear Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Obama has called to cut back our nuclear weapons, slow or stop new weapon systems, cut back on missile defense.
    Yet he has called for an increase in troop size, increased pay and benefits for the troops, improved care for wounded servicemembers, expanded pay for retired military personnel and Veterans Disability Compensation, and full monetary support for our troops in Afghanistan. And to accomplish this, he has increased - not cut back - defense funding (Source: About.com: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/fy2010_new_era/Department_of_Defense.pdf).

    I'd hardly call those "big cut backs", especially given the fact he's increased funding for defense in 2010.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    He's been forced, by the reality of "oh ****, I'm President and these war thins gonna cost money", so he's forced to spend more then he wanted too. He said he'd focus the war on Afghanistan and the Taliban, what you're seeing is the increased costs associated with refocusing the military to that end, and the draw down in Iraq will not come cheap.
    Sounds like to me you're making a case for Obama here. Now, if he had said, "I refuse to spend another dime on defense; in fact, I am going to cut defense spending in 2010", you'd have a point. But Obama has increased defense spending for 2010, not curtailed it. Obama recognized and reacted to the reality of the situation, according to your post. I'd say that's one mark of a pretty good leader.
    Last edited by Singularity; 04-25-09 at 02:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •