Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 139

Thread: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

  1. #11
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    I'll put it simply, for simple minds: The people who should be prosecuted are those who break the law. It's really that simple.
    A lawyer giving a legal opinion DOES NOT BREAK THE LAW.

    You people are so poisoned in your anti-Bush fervor that you DO NOT CARE what the consequences are; you want to "get him" at any cost -- even if that cost is the complete abandonment of any semblance of due process, the rule of law, liberal principles, and common fairness -- which is what you accuse Bush of.

    Which is not only sickening, it's so unbelievably hypocritical that I don't even know where to begin.

    So yes, I find this line of argument abhorrent, repugnant, and disgusting.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #12
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    A lawyer giving a legal opinion DOES NOT BREAK THE LAW.

    You people are so poisoned in your anti-Bush fervor that you DO NOT CARE what the consequences are; you want to "get him" at any cost -- even if that cost is the complete abandonment of any semblance of due process, the rule of law, liberal principles, and common fairness -- which is what you accuse Bush of.

    Which is not only sickening, it's so unbelievably hypocritical that I don't even know where to begin.

    So yes, I find this line of argument abhorrent, repugnant, and disgusting.
    Don't let ADK get you too upset Hawshaw. He tends to be VERY emotional, and the fact that there is a huge difference between legal opinion and braking the law is immaterial to him.
    Last edited by Renae; 04-24-09 at 03:13 PM.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Well, let's start talking about prosecuting Obama for his use of airborne drones dropping missiles on civilians in Pakistan.

    After all we are America, we are better than that.

    Get ready Obama you ***damned war criminal.
    Stunning irony isn't it?

  4. #14
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Well, that's just what Bush's lawyers did. They assumed they were untouchable because they worked for the President. WRONG! Talk about balls! Water boarding has been illegal since before 1900, I believe. Yet, they arrogantly thought they could word policy to do it. It boggles the mind!

    No man is supposed to be above the law. Whether they are prosecuted for their crimes is another matter.
    And Pelosi et al should be tried as accessories to the crime because they knew of it and said/did nothing.

    OBL 11/24/02

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    I'll put it simply, for simple minds: The people who should be prosecuted are those who break the law. It's really that simple.

    That means if someone (President, Vice President, Secretary of Defense, etc) authorizes an illegal policy - he can be prosecuted.

    If a lawyer gave advice, contrary to our laws there are ways to deal with him also. Prosecution is only one of them. i.e. (that means "for instance") It is against the law to lie under oath. If a lawyer advised his client to lie under oath he himself could be prosecuted. He could also be prosecuted if he even knew his client was going to lie because he is an "Officer of the Court".

    Do you really think your name calling intimidates anyone? Do you think it gives any credence to your argument?
    I don't think it is “name calling” if it is merely an honest description of the arguments being made. But you claiming he is "simple minded", that is a personal insult.

    Amazing how Liberals never seem to actually get it.

  6. #16
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    A lawyer giving a legal opinion DOES NOT BREAK THE LAW.
    Hmmm, who's getting a wee bit emotional here?

    You chose to ignore my examples, per usual. That's ok. Notice how you now use the word "opinion".

    I was responding to your question:
    A lawyer who advises a criminal may be prosecuted for it?
    And don't worry, we won't hold it against you that Mr Vichio is in your corner. Even rock stars can't control their groupies.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  7. #17
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I don't think it is “name calling” if it is merely an honest description of the arguments being made.
    That would call for an opinion, a biased opinion.

    But you claiming he is "simple minded", that is a personal insult.
    Show me where I "claimed" he was simple minded. However, to argue like you do, would it be an insult... if it were true?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    That would call for an opinion, a biased opinion.

    Show me where I "claimed" he was simple minded. However, to argue like you do, would it be an insult... if it were true?
    Well ADK it is a stretch to presume you could argue like I do; you would have to make sense, use facts in your assertions and not fabricate a contrived reality for purely partisan political purposes, all things I believe you are incapable of.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Moderator's Warning:
    UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyersAlright. How about everyone stick to the topic instead of seeing which side can belittle the other the best

  10. #20
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Hmmm, who's getting a wee bit emotional here?
    It's 100% factual. The method of expression is tailored specifically to the recipient's needs for understanding.


    You chose to ignore my examples, per usual.
    I chose to ignore them because a) you're either just repeating that giving legal advice can be prosecuted, and b) you're describing nothing about what actually applies here.

    The fact is, you simply do not care about the implications of this. You simply want to tarnish Bush as much as you possibly can and you don't care what the method is. If it's against Bush, you're on board, anything else be damned.

    There's nothing honorable about that. Not the slightest.


    That's ok. Notice how you now use the word "opinion".
    Now? That's what lawyers do. That's what these lawyers did. They gave their legal opinions, which was their job.

    But, obviously, you don't care as long as you can "get Bush."
    Last edited by Harshaw; 04-24-09 at 03:56 PM.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •