Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 139

Thread: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Look...The truth here is very simple:

    Bush wanted to torture prisoners so he got a few bad apple lawyers to torture logic & the English language to say it was legal. (If Bush wanted to rob banks, these same lawyers would find a way to say bank robbery was legal)

    Get it?? ...It's really very simple, as the jury will eventually find.
    quite the Farcical of course, but funny in a farcical kind of way.

  2. #102
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Look...The truth here is very simple:

    Bush wanted to torture prisoners so he got a few bad apple lawyers to torture logic & the English language to say it was legal. (If Bush wanted to rob banks, these same lawyers would find a way to say bank robbery was legal)

    Get it?? ...It's really very simple, as the jury will eventually find.
    There's some nice, moderate posting right there.

    Care to take the legal memos apart point by point and show examples of the "torture" of logic and the English language? Let's see it. If it's as simple as you say, it should be no problem.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    There's some nice, moderate posting right there.

    Care to take the legal memos apart point by point and show examples of the "torture" of logic and the English language? Let's see it. If it's as simple as you say, it should be no problem.
    Sure....Explain to me how, if one of our citizens was being held in Syria & was blindfolded, bound & almost drowned how YOU would not consider that torture & a crime. Come on....String together some English words to make that torture sound like it isn't a crime..........Unless WE do it!

    (I'll save you the trouble.......No grouping of words can make a reasonable person believe the Earth is flat, if I drop a hammer & it won't fall down or that we didn't torture people
    Last edited by Devil505; 05-08-09 at 11:12 PM.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Sure....Explain to me how, if one of our citizens was being held in Syria & was blindfolded, bound & almost drowned how YOU would not consider that torture & a crime. Come on....String together some English words to make that torture sound like it isn't a crime..........Unless WE do it!
    Simple. Syrians doing that to Americans is not a crime, merely a casus belli. The solution to the situation would be
    1. Rescue mission by Delta Force or Seal Team Six (Special Warfare Development Group/DEVGRU) to extract Americans being so treated
    2. Point a couple of Tomahawk cruise missiles at Damascus.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Simple. Syrians doing that to Americans is not a crime, merely a casus belli. The solution to the situation would be
    1. Rescue mission by Delta Force or Seal Team Six (Special Warfare Development Group/DEVGRU) to extract Americans being so treated
    2. Point a couple of Tomahawk cruise missiles at Damascus.

    Why would we do that?? The Syrians weren't doing anything wrong!...Right?

  6. #106
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Why would we do that?? The Syrians weren't doing anything wrong!...Right?
    Catch a clue, dude.

    I said it wasn't a crime, merely a casus belli--a reason for the United States to deliver a bit of smackdown on Syria.

    By way of analogy, if you're out with your woman or significant other and some loudmouth boor makes an impolite overture to your woman or significant other, said boor has not committed any crime, but you would be eminently justified (even by the laws of most states) in jack-slapping said boor.

    Not every "wrong" is a crime, and not every offense merits a trial. Some offenses merely merit a wee bit o' whup-ass.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    By way of analogy, if you're out with your woman or significant other and some loudmouth boor makes an impolite overture to your woman or significant other, said boor has not committed any crime, but you would be eminently justified (even by the laws of most states) in jack-slapping said boor.
    You'll have to show me an "EXACT" example of how insulting a man's "woman" is justification to "jack-slapping" said guy legally by the laws of most states.

    I call Bull**** there.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Sure....Explain to me how, if one of our citizens was being held in Syria & was blindfolded, bound & almost drowned how YOU would not consider that torture & a crime. Come on....String together some English words to make that torture sound like it isn't a crime..........Unless WE do it!

    (I'll save you the trouble.......No grouping of words can make a reasonable person believe the Earth is flat, if I drop a hammer & it won't fall down or that we didn't torture people
    Depends....was he caught in terrorist acts?

    What crimes did Nick Berg and Daniel Perl commit?

    Seriously. You're playing the BS Moral Equivalency Game, and you just got trumped.

    Throw in your hand, don't re-ante.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 05-08-09 at 11:44 PM.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You'll have to show me an "EXACT" example of how insulting a man's "woman" is justification to "jack-slapping" said guy legally by the laws of most states.

    I call Bull**** there.
    Texas Penal Code Chapter 9, Section 31 on Self Defense:

    Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

    (1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:

    (A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

    (B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or

    (C) was committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

    (2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and

    (3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: UN torture envoy: US must prosecute Bush lawyers

    From your link:

    a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.
    Insulting someone's woman is hardly an act of force.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •