Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: 50% tax rate for high earners

  1. #21
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    And how much of government spending goes to these things?

    And how much goes to handouts and giveaways to special interests?
    About 60% of federal spending goes to entitlement/welfare programs.

  2. #22
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    And how much of government spending goes to these things?

    And how much goes to handouts and giveaways to special interests?

    The list you cited...those comprise the entirety of the things government does tolerably well (ok, drop of the police patrolling....police are a disservice to every neighborhood). Which means that no, I do not get "a lot of services." for my tax dollars. I get practically no service at all.
    Until you retire, at which time you will get Medicare and Social Security, and you kids will then be complaining about how they get no services from the government.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #23
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Until you retire, at which time you will get Medicare and Social Security, and you kids will then be complaining about how they get no services from the government.
    Ok, so if I tell you to keep your medicare and social security, I can keep my taxes, right?

  4. #24
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Ok, so if I tell you to keep your medicare and social security, I can keep my taxes, right?
    All you have to do is convince enough voters to share your view, and you can get it repealed.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #25
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Budget 2009: Rich face 50% top tax rate | UK news | guardian.co.uk

    BUDGET: KEY POINTS
    50% tax rate for earnings over 150,000
    Growth forecast revised down
    Borrowing increased
    15bn 'efficiency savings'
    2bn help for young unemployed
    1bn to boost housing market
    Car scrapping scheme


    Well, the rate should have always been higher for the rich but is this really the right time? :/
    Not to mention Cameron lit up Darling, it was so amusing to watch.
    Holy **** 50%! Only a liberal can justify metaphorically raping someone in the ass with a unfair and unjust tax rate. This is why there should be a flat tax rate and no deductions. This idea that you be should be gouged just because you work harder and earn more is a load of crap.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #26
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Its 50% of earnings over 150000. That means everything under the 150000 will be taxed with lower tax rates.

    So say you earn 200000. The first 150000 will be taxed with say 40% or 30% or whatever the rate is, and the 50000 past the 150000 will be taxed by 50%.
    PeteEU

  7. #27
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Holy **** 50%! Only a liberal can justify metaphorically raping someone in the ass with a unfair and unjust tax rate. This is why there should be a flat tax rate and no deductions. This idea that you be should be gouged just because you work harder and earn more is a load of crap.
    The problem being that we live in a society that rewards ownership and not work

  8. #28
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Holy **** 50%! Only a liberal can justify metaphorically raping someone in the ass with a unfair and unjust tax rate.
    You mean like the 86.45% marginal top tax rate under the Republican Senate and House in 1946? Interestingly enough, taxes went down after the Democrats retook Congress in 1948 for a few years.

    Even worse, the Republican congress under Eisenhower had a truly massive 91% marginal top tax rate and did not lower the tax rate while they maintained power for 2 years.

    Even more interestingly, the lowest marginal tax bracket in recent US history, at 28% was under Democrats in 1988, partially which can be attributed to Reagan, but remember that the Executive branch writes no laws and tax code is legislated through Congress. And Reagan was a Uber-Liberal when it came to spending.

    The lowest since the 20th century was a mere 7% which again was under Democrat Congressional control.

    Facts, you know. Use 'em.

    Top US Marginal Income Tax Rates, 1913--2003 (TruthAndPolitics.org)
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_Congress]History of the United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Budget 2009: Rich face 50% top tax rate | UK news | guardian.co.uk

    BUDGET: KEY POINTS
    50% tax rate for earnings over 150,000
    Growth forecast revised down
    Borrowing increased
    15bn 'efficiency savings'
    2bn help for young unemployed
    1bn to boost housing market
    Car scrapping scheme


    Well, the rate should have always been higher for the rich but is this really the right time? :/
    Not to mention Cameron lit up Darling, it was so amusing to watch.
    So the "rich" should pay 50% of their earnings in taxes. You believe that is just, correct?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #30
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: 50% tax rate for high earners

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So the "rich" should pay 50% of their earnings in taxes. You believe that is just, correct?
    That is formulated wrong.

    The "rich" will pay 50% tax on earnings OVER 150k. Very big difference.
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •