Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

  1. #31
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Fifteen or eighteen doesn't matter. He's a grown man and can face our legal system like one.
    How do you know he's a grown man? Have you met him? From whence does this certainty regarding the developmental mental state of a stranger come? Why do you conclude that he's not just a hapless boy who took one of the only options available to him in his society?

    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    The idea that a 15 year old is a grown man is absurd. I can even think of my own mentality at age 15 vs. 18 or 19, and the difference is large. (As an aside, I also think that the difference between 19 and 23-24 is large as well). Developmentally you are not in the same place at all. I can think back on the mistakes I made as a 15 year old because I was too immature to understand.

    Yes, a 15 year old, generally, knows right from wrong, but if you've been raised in international waters by ADULT pirates then your moral compass does not match that of U.S. laws or the laws of other countries. But this is the United States we're talking about... generally a criminal justice system based on punishment and not rehabilitation. I'm Canadian so my view on this is that the proceedings are barbaric for calling a 15 year old an adult.

    He is young enough that he could be turned around. But no, let's put him in jail and toss away the key.

  3. #33
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The idea that a 15 year old is a grown man is absurd. I can even think of my own mentality at age 15 vs. 18 or 19, and the difference is large. (As an aside, I also think that the difference between 19 and 23-24 is large as well). Developmentally you are not in the same place at all. I can think back on the mistakes I made as a 15 year old because I was too immature to understand.

    Yes, a 15 year old, generally, knows right from wrong, but if you've been raised in international waters by ADULT pirates then your moral compass does not match that of U.S. laws or the laws of other countries. But this is the United States we're talking about... generally a criminal justice system based on punishment and not rehabilitation. I'm Canadian so my view on this is that the proceedings are barbaric for calling a 15 year old an adult.

    He is young enough that he could be turned around. But no, let's put him in jail and toss away the key.

    Well put. To back this sentiment up with a scientific perspective, I bring facts about human brain development.

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_lobe]Frontal lobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    The frontal lobe reaches full maturity around age 25, marking the cognitive maturity associated with adulthood. Arthur Toga, UCLA, found increased myelin in the frontal lobe white matter of young adults compared to that of teens.

    The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events. Therefore, it is involved in higher mental functions.
    Psychologically, 15 year-olds are far from mature, and while they may appear to know "right vs. wrong," they are still very much undeveloped mentally. I think you'd have to be a pretty sick person to send someone away for the rest of their life because of a dumb mistake they made at 15.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  4. #34
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    That is just wrong.
    US is probably just playing witch hunt with the only one left alive.

    Besides, shouldn't a Somali pirate be tried in Africa at least?
    He is being tried, not because there is a witch hunt, but because there was reasonable suspicion to arrest him and put him on trial. The evidence?

    1) In a boat with pirates who captured the captain.

    2) Was negotiating for the captain's release.

    Yup, I would say that this amounts to reasonable suspicion. If the jury decides on not guilty, after hearing the arguments and seeing the evidence, then he goes free. He would not get that kind of chance in his own neck of the woods. There, they would just take him out behind the court house and shoot him. He should be thankful it was Americans that arrested him.
    Last edited by danarhea; 04-24-09 at 12:22 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    How do you know he's a grown man? Have you met him? From whence does this certainty regarding the developmental mental state of a stranger come? Why do you conclude that he's not just a hapless boy who took one of the only options available to him in his society?

    Duke
    He's a pirate.

    Hang him.

    He was grown enough the wave the machine gun around, he's big enough to dangle and dance with a rope around his neck.

  6. #36
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    He should be thankful it was Americans that arrested him.
    This is always the case, regardless who you are or what you have done.

  7. #37
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    He's a pirate.

    Hang him.

    He was grown enough the wave the machine gun around, he's big enough to dangle and dance with a rope around his neck.
    This kind of ignorant, savage attitude is one of the primary flaws of the human race.


    Duke
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    This kind of ignorant, savage attitude is one of the primary flaws of the human race.


    Duke
    Being a pirate?

    I agree.

    Why's he still wasting oxygen? He was caught red-handed, didn't they have any rope on those ships?

    Coddling criminals, that's a serious flaw in many.

  9. #39
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Being a pirate?
    I agree.
    Why's he still wasting oxygen? He was caught red-handed, didn't they have any rope on those ships?
    Coddling criminals, that's a serious flaw in many.
    Back in the day, the USN captain could/would have held the trial - and executed the sentence - immediately, on board his ship.

  10. #40
    Royal Pain
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Somali teen pirate to stand trial as adult in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Being a pirate?

    I agree.
    No, treating systems of justice as tools of barbaric retribution based on age-old "eye-for-an-eye" methods which have shown to do nobody any good.
    Playing dumb doesn't become you, but it appears to be your sole option.

    Why's he still wasting oxygen? He was caught red-handed, didn't they have any rope on those ships?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post

    Why's he still wasting oxygen? He was caught red-handed, didn't they have any rope on those ships?
    Coddling criminals, that's a serious flaw in many.
    I agree. Coddling criminals is a waste of time. Time that could be spent better creating reasoned systems of justice based on restorative models and trying criminals in logical and comprehensive ways. Allowing the punishment to fit the crime wouldn't be a bad step, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Back in the day, the USN captain could/would have held the trial - and executed the sentence - immediately, on board his ship.
    I cannot understand the conservative's affinity for the bestial, primitive days. Anyone with half a brain knows they certainly weren't better.


    Duke
    Last edited by Duke; 04-24-09 at 02:49 PM.
    The big majority of Americans, who are comparatively well off, have developed an ability to have enclaves of people living in the greatest misery without almost noticing them.
    -- Gunnar Myrdal


    The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
    -- Henry Kissinger


    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
    account be allowed to do the job.
    -- Douglas Adams

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •