Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

  1. #31
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    So they fired him...

    The method maybe different, but the goal and end game were the same yes?
    Except the term "fire" is far too oversimplified and doesn't correctly characterize what actually happened. The guy resigned. They pressured and strong-armed him to do so. That isn't firing.

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Figured you'd come along CC, with your BS crap about Hyperpartisanship.

    You're right, it's been around longer then Obama's been Pres, but I believe Obama would ACTUALLY PUSH FOR AND SIGN a bill to "fight the problem".

    There is a difference, that's not hyper partisan, that's just stating what's what. Don't like that, kiss my rear.

    If you bothered to read my next post... you'd see I clarified why I said that... for people like you that think they have a right to judge others comments based on your limited understanding of the po... no it's not limited, you have a sad belief anyone cares anymore what you consider hyper partisan, and that you are the appointed judge of what's "hyper partisan" and what's not.

    There was no need, as me and Z had discussed this point, for you to come bumbling in with your unwanted, unwarranted, and FALSE statement.

    What I said was not hyper-partisan, what you are doing is trolling to stoke your ego, go away if that's all you have to offer. I'm sick of your ****.
    I didn't see your response to Zyph...I was about finished with my break. You did clarify...somewhat. I still stand by my statement, though. You are making suppositions based on...nothing. The OP had zero to do with Obama or his policies, and you have no idea that he would legislate something like this other than your own skewed view.

    And I will say what I like, and call you on what I see, whether you like it or not. I accept your clarification as a somewhat clarification, but I continue to reject the importance of you presenting the issue in the first place other than to placate your need to present your agenda, even when it has little or nothing to do with the issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, not really. Parenting is where it starts, kids that live at home... it's mom and dad who need to be parents, I don't believe in making excuses for lazy parents.
    An addiction is not about lazy parenting. Some kids I've worked with who are addicted to something are pretty strict parents. That really doesn't matter. An addiction can be more powerful than that; one can get over even the most prudent of parents.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #34
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    An addiction is not about lazy parenting. Some kids I've worked with who are addicted to something are pretty strict parents. That really doesn't matter. An addiction can be more powerful than that; one can get over even the most prudent of parents.
    Still not my fault or business, nor do I even care. Government isn't to intercede here it has no recourse to. Proper parenting probably takes care of most of it, and what doesn't is probably a small fraction of the population and not worth worrying about. Deal with it on an individual basis.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #35
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    So they fired him...

    The method maybe different, but the goal and end game were the same yes?
    Not true. GM could have not chosen to accept bail-out money, and tried to get on by themselves. Or is that too far-fetched for you?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Just curious CC, as I've heard some people talking about this before. Ever diagnosed or dealt with anyone with an addiction to eating?

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Still not my fault or business, nor do I even care. Government isn't to intercede here it has no recourse to. Proper parenting probably takes care of most of it, and what doesn't is probably a small fraction of the population and not worth worrying about. Deal with it on an individual basis.
    No where in any of my posts am I advocating legislation to deal with this issue, so you must be referring to someone else. My point is that an addiction goes beyond parenting. Parents can't necessarily, control whether this develops. Their job is to do something to get their kid help to deal with it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #38
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No where in any of my posts am I advocating legislation to deal with this issue, so you must be referring to someone else. My point is that an addiction goes beyond parenting. Parents can't necessarily, control whether this develops. Their job is to do something to get their kid help to deal with it.
    Part of my point was to keep this on topic and prevent it from spinning off into another Obama pissing contest. So my comment was that while it may go past the parents, it's nothing to do with the government. Also, I think that predominately it's about the parent. Can it go beyond? Of course, but I think if you installed proper parenting the number of kids you'd find "addicted" to video games would be much less.

    And there's a sure fire way to break a video game addiction, it's called a motorcycle. Course, you'll end up just trading one addiction for another. And motorcycle addiction is WAY more expensive.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #39
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You realize this isn't just an Obama thing. The poster that posted this thread and identifies himself firmly on the Right has repeatedly over and over again called for government involvement and actual banishment of the medium before as a means of "fixing" this.
    I realize I may be in the minority here but years from now when this scourge has become a nationally recognized threat to our very existence keep in mind that someone tried to warn you before it was too late.

    Save yourselves from this horror.


    OBL 11/24/02

  10. #40
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: One in 10 video gaming youths could be addicted

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    I realize I may be in the minority here but years from now when this scourge has become a nationally recognized threat to our very existence keep in mind that someone tried to warn you before it was too late.

    Save yourselves from this horror.

    Screw it. I've played enough Halo Wars to know how to rebuild a base once it's destroyed. So bring it!

    And if you think video games could really ruin this country and lead to its collapse, you have a pathetically low opinion of America and Americans. We're not such beasts as to not be able to prevent our own doom should it be as simple as putting down the controller. We'll have X amount of people addicted to gaming (welcome to freedom), and the rest will do their jobs like normal. It'll peak somewhere and then it will decline and then it will hit steady state and that's going to be the end of that. Your doomsday predictions brought on by video games won't pan out.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •