Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    I am sure all the globalist scum are cheering this Commiefornia bill which I am sure their liberal governor will sign.A business shouldn't be forced to provide an interpreter or put bilingual bull**** on all their packaging because some lazy ass scum refuse to learn the language of the country.


    State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times


    Alarmed that a professional golf association proposed to exclude competitors who donít speak English, the state Senate acted today to prohibit businesses in California from discriminating against customers, including refusing them service, based on the language they use.

    The Ladies Professional Golf Assn. last year backed down from a policy that would have suspended golfers who do not speak adequate English on the premise that language fluency in speeches and media interviews was critical to the sport's promotion efforts.

    The golfers were considered "patrons" of the LPGA, not employees.

    State Sen. Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) said the policy raised an issue that required changes to state civil rights laws that already protect employees from discrimination based on language.

    "I donít understand the connection between speaking English and playing golf," Yee said on the Senate floor. "This is really about protecting our ability to speak the language that we wish."

    Yee recalled as a young boy going to a San Francisco hardware store with an uncle who was mistreated because of his lack of proficiency in English.

    SB 242, which now goes to the Assembly, was approved on a 21-15 vote, with Republican lawmakers opposed based on concern it would open businesses up to a rash of civil rights lawsuits if customers felt they did not get good service.

    Yee noted the bill protects English speakers as well from being discriminated against by non-English-speaking business owners. The bill includes an exemption that says firms can require a specific language to be spoken if it is justified by a "business necessity," such as clear communications for safety, and that notification is provided as to when and where the language restriction is to be observed.

    The bill drew concerns from U.S. English, a group that promotes English-only policies. Rob Toonkel, a spokesman for the group, said it makes good sense for businesses to treat customers well.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    because some lazy ass scum refuse to learn the language of the country.
    There is no national language in the United States. Because of that, there is no "requirement" to learn the national language. The "unofficial" language(s) of the US is determined by the language(s) that those in the US speak.

  3. #3
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    There is no national language in the United States. Because of that, there is no "requirement" to learn the national language. The "unofficial" language(s) of the US is determined by the language(s) that those in the US speak.
    I agree with you.. up until the point that it starts costing the tax payer or businesses more in REQUIRED translation.

    Here in AZ we voted down a measure that would give the school's funding for printing tests in English and Spanish.... The turned around and did it anyway... on our dime.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    There is no national language in the United States. .
    Our founding documents are in english, our government business is done in english and the huge vast majority of people in the US speak english. Therefore English is our language. SO those coming to this country to live here should learn english. Scumbag politicians shouldn't be forcing any business and taxpayers to cater to other languages.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Our founding documents are in english, our government business is done in english and the huge vast majority of people in the US speak english. Therefore English is our language. SO those coming to this country to live here should learn english. Scumbag politicians shouldn't be forcing any business and taxpayers to cater to other languages.
    And yet most of the founding fathers spoke multiple languages, they made no constitutional provisions for a national language and when writing the constitution stated clearly that the president should be a male. If we're going by historicity then your argument fails.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    There is no national language in the United States. Because of that, there is no "requirement" to learn the national language. The "unofficial" language(s) of the US is determined by the language(s) that those in the US speak.



    But there should be a requirement to service all languages?


    Let's say I own a gun range. Would it be safe for me to let someone onto the range who could not understand range commands because of language?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #7
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    But there should be a requirement to service all languages?

    Let's say I own a gun range. Would it be safe for me to let someone onto the range who could not understand range commands because of language?
    .....uh. Yeah. Your gun range. Your rules. Nothing to do with the government.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #8
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    .....uh. Yeah. Your gun range. Your rules. Nothing to do with the government.



    from the op:

    Alarmed that a professional golf association proposed to exclude competitors who donít speak English, the state Senate acted today to prohibit businesses in California from discriminating against customers, including refusing them service, based on the language they use.

    I did not realize the professional golf association was a government entity. Did you bother to read the context of the thread before you responded?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And yet most of the founding fathers spoke multiple languages, they made no constitutional provisions for a national language and when writing the constitution stated clearly that the president should be a male. If we're going by historicity then your argument fails.
    Please point out the text in the Constitution that require the President to be male.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: State Senate approves bill banning language discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRage
    Our founding documents are in english, our government business is done in english and the huge vast majority of people in the US speak english. Therefore English is our language. SO those coming to this country to live here should learn english. Scumbag politicians shouldn't be forcing any business and taxpayers to cater to other languages.
    And yet most of the founding fathers spoke multiple languages, they made no constitutional provisions for a national language and when writing the constitution stated clearly that the president should be a male. If we're going by historicity then your argument fails.
    I always found this "back to the founding fathers" argument quite absurd. There are many things that the founding fathers advocated that would seem absolutely ridiculous to support today, slavery being the most obvious example. I don't see you [JamesRage] opposing Obama's presidency on the grounds that he's black and belongs in the fields and not the Oval Office.

    But there should be a requirement to service all languages?
    Personally I don't really care about discussing the legislation, as it doesn't directly affect me and I'm really not interested in getting in the middle of such a typical liberal/conservative whinefest. I was merely responding to JamesRage's assertion that English is the US's national language and that everyone that lives in the US must learn English.

    However it is interesting now to note how hypocritical his position is, whereby he is against the legislation forcing businesses to cater to people that can't speak English under the guise of "freedom" (or whatever you would like to call it) but would support legislation forcing millions of people to learn English.

    Please point out the text in the Constitution that require the President to be male.
    The first female presidential candidate was Victoria Woodhull in 1872. However, the legitimacy of her candidacy was questioned because of her sex:

    "* She was a woman.

    This was the most cited legal impediment in the 19th century. Some of Woodhull's contemporaries believed that because she was a woman she was not a citizen and, therefore, not entitled to vote. Since the Constitution required that the President be a citizen, she would also be excluded from holding the office of President. Others believed women were citizens, but that the states had the right to limit the franchise to males only. Some Woodhull supporters believed that even if Woodhull could not vote legally, that would not have excluded her from running for public office. United States law has its roots in English common law, and under English common law, there was an established precedence of women holding public office."
    -[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Woodhull"]Wikipedia[/ame]

    The issue of citizenship could certainly be claims for supporting Hatuey's statement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •