Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 118

Thread: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

  1. #51
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Good, then you can stop talking about Bush now.
    Why? It's perfectly relevant. George Bush was a man who threw public opinion to the wind. Obama's showing himself willing to listen to the people. He's starting to unroll the police state, cut spending, slim down the bureaucracy, and now he's backing off on AWB II. Good news all around, conveniently ignored as usual....

    Edit: Oh yeah, and he's ending the perpetual war.
    Last edited by BulletWounD; 04-20-09 at 12:39 PM.

  2. #52
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Why? It's perfectly relevant. George Bush was a man who threw public opinion to the wind. Obama's showing himself willing to listen to the people.
    Some people believe in 'doing the right thing' regardless of the political consquences (see: GWB) and other people put 'doing the right thing' behind the retention of political power.

    Of the two, I'll take the former, even if I disagree with them

    He's starting to unroll the police state
    Based on what?

    Cut spending, slim down the bureaucracy

  3. #53
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,388

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Good, then you can stop talking about Bush now.
    You all would love that I'm sure. I find it humorous how so many of you feel that it is unacceptable to invoke Bush's name when the man is responsible for one of the worst chapters in our nations recent history.

    Oh it's okay to drag Obama through the mud over Iraq, Afghanistan, and the War on Terror, but don't you dare mention the guy who created the mess to begin with. Obama's job it to clean it up, and for that he deserves all the criticism I suppose. Or to steal a line from a good friend of mine, maybe...just maybe...it's that little D beside his name that determines who you criticize and for what.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #54
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,388

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Some people believe in 'doing the right thing' regardless of the political consquences (see: GWB)
    Exactly what "right thing" are you talking about?

    and other people put 'doing the right thing' behind the retention of political power.
    And the post-9/11 fear mongering and nationalism push wasn't politically motivated? Don't be so naive.

    Of the two, I'll take the former, even if I disagree with them
    Super, I would too. Now if we can just find a true example of that.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #55
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Some people believe in 'doing the right thing' regardless of the political consquences (see: GWB) and other people put 'doing the right thing' behind the retention of political power.
    Well, the simple fact of the matter is that nobody absolutely knows what "the right thing" is. Sometimes you've got to be willing to compromise. As a politician, if you are not then you will lose your job.

    Of the two, I'll take the former, even if I disagree with them
    It depends.

    Based on what?
    The torture memos.... This is just the beginning. There was another memo where George Bush claimed he could "suspend" fundamental rights guaranteed to us in the Constitution. If Bush's administration went to such machinations to justify the actions of the CIA, what else do you think was going on?

    He also appointed Admiral Dennis Blair to the position of National Intelligence director. He's on record for disapproval of the need for a "domestic intelligence agency" which seems to have been the role DHS has adopted.

    Attorney General Holder just came out and said that Obama's administration would not trample upon the Constitution for the sake of security.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/intern...-rule-law.html

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Exactly what "right thing" are you talking about?
    The most obvious was staying the course in Iraq.

    And the post-9/11 fear mongering and nationalism push wasn't politically motivated?
    In terms of making sure the GOP retians power in Congress and the White House?
    Nope.

    Super, I would too. Now if we can just find a true example of that.
    You have one.
    You can refuse to accept it as an example if you want, but nothig changes the fact that it IS an example.

  7. #57
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Well, the simple fact of the matter is that nobody absolutely knows what "the right thing" is.
    The right thing to do is based on your ideology (etc).
    If you hold the position that X is 'the right thing to do' and you then decide to NOT to X because you know it will cause you to lose power, you are putting what you think is right behind your desire for power.

    It depends.
    On what?
    Would you rather have somene that puts power ahead of what he believes, or put s what he believes ahead of political pwer?

    The torture memos.... This is just the beginning.
    LOL
    Ok, chief. If THAT's your best example of how The Obama is tearing down GWB's police state, there's little sense in continuing.

  8. #58
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The right thing to do is based on your ideology (etc).
    If you hold the position that X is 'the right thing to do' and you then decide to NOT to X because you know it will cause you to lose power, you are putting what you think is right behind your desire for power.
    Do you ever question your own opinions? I know I do and I hope Obama does too. He's taking other people's opinions into consideration and I thank him for that.

    On what?
    Would you rather have somene that puts power ahead of what he believes, or put s what he believes ahead of political pwer?
    Well, if you believe that your role as the president is to serve the people then it makes a bit more sense, does it not?

    LOL
    Ok, chief. If THAT's your best example of how The Obama is tearing down GWB's police state, there's little sense in continuing.
    He is. It's evident in his appointments and the rhetoric coming out of the administration and now his actions. By putting these memos out in the public, these methods can never be used again. He knew that before he did it. That takes balls.

  9. #59
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Do you ever question your own opinions?
    No.

    I know I do and I hope Obama does too. He's taking other people's opinions into consideration and I thank him for that.
    What you fail to grasp here is that The Obama is NOT falling back on the AW ban because of any of the reasons that WE oppose it, but ONLY because He knows it is a political loser.

    That is, if He thought it would NOT cause Him and His part yo lose power, he would NOT back off.

    And so, you're thanking Him for nothing other that worrying more about His power than YOUR rights.

    Well, if you believe that your role as the president is to serve the people then it makes a bit more sense, does it not?
    That's NOt the role of the President. HIS role, as that of the rest of the govermnet, is to protect yoru rights.

  10. #60
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Obama Backs Away From Assault Gun Ban in Push to Stop Flow to Mexico

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No.
    So you openly admit that you lack the power of critical thought? Duly noted.

    What you fail to grasp here is that The Obama is NOT falling back on the AW ban because of any of the reasons that WE oppose it, but ONLY because He knows it is a political loser.
    So what?

    That is, if He thought it would NOT cause Him and His part yo lose power, he would NOT back off.
    Actually, it is his job to serve the people. That's the whole idea of democracy. Public opinion is one of the guiding forces of a democracy. Get used to it.

    And so, you're thanking Him for nothing other that worrying more about His power than YOUR rights.
    I'm thanking him for compromising instead of getting the liberal version of George Bush.

    That's NOt the role of the President. HIS role, as that of the rest of the govermnet, is to protect yoru rights.
    And he is... What's your point? The government serves us, not the other way around. George Bush tried to turn our government upside down.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •