Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Moderator's Warning:
    Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters Drop the gun argument, and please get back on topic. If you would like to continue your gun argument, please create a new thread
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    The exact number is irrelevant, I can show you 20 sites that say the number is true, You can show me 20 websites that claim its made up. you are obfuscating and avoiding my question.


    Tell me what additional law would you like. And how will it reduce gun crime.



    I await your answer.
    You won't get one.

  3. #43
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,767

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters Drop the gun argument, and please get back on topic. If you would like to continue your gun argument, please create a new thread



    Sorry about that. WILCO!



    Done!


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/Death-...post1057993059
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 04-16-09 at 10:52 AM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #44
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    The point I was making in that thread...several times....was that firearms enthusiasts should take the lead in figuring out how to keep guns out of the hands of deranged individuals.
    You're STILL going on with this drivel?



    Your position here has been debunked.
    If you disagree, feel free to return to the time and place of said debunking, and respond to those that tore your argument down.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    All we ever heard from alot of people, regarding the use of mercenaries in Iraq, was that it was wrong. Several times in fact, people bitched about the use of mercenaries. So why is it ok now, in this instance, on the seas, but when its on ground all of the sudden its a travesty?

    I'm not necessarily against the idea myself. I never have been. I'm just wondering where the difference lies?
    I'm reposting this, as it might get buried in that gun talk on the other page. I would like to know the answer to this.....
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  6. #46
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    All we ever heard from alot of people, regarding the use of mercenaries in Iraq, was that it was wrong. Several times in fact, people bitched about the use of mercenaries. So why is it ok now, in this instance, on the seas, but when its on ground all of the sudden its a travesty?
    In the case of protecting merchant ships, how does "armed private security" get turned into "mercenary"?



    Clearly, the pirates thrive because they know they can operate with impunity -- no one will shoot back.
    Shooting back will change this.

  7. #47
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters Drop the gun argument, and please get back on topic. If you would like to continue your gun argument, please create a new thread
    Didnt see this before I posted.

  8. #48
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,767

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    You won't get one.


    Oh look how shocked I am. look up I started a thread on the topic. Come by when you want to engage instead of bait.....




    Anyway as requested, What do you think about privateers, do you think that this is the right solution?


    I support Obama and the admin's position that this may be the right thing to do.... However like Crip is alluding to, I'd like to expand:



    "On Monday, Obama struck back. "Now, let me be clear: I actually introduced legislation in the Senate before Senator Clinton even mentioned this that said we had to crack down on private contractors like Blackwater because I don't believe that they should be able to run amok and put our own troops in danger, get paid three or four times or ten times what our soldiers are getting paid. I am the one who has been opposed to those operators. Senator Clinton is a late comer to that. But you know this is what happens during political season and I understand it."

    Jeremy Scahill: Hillary vs. Obama: Who Is Better on Blackwater?


    So contractors are now good? Don't get me wrong, I applaud the admin in suggesting thier use, but isn't this divergent from his position on contractors?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    All we ever heard from alot of people, regarding the use of mercenaries in Iraq, was that it was wrong. Several times in fact, people bitched about the use of mercenaries. So why is it ok now, in this instance, on the seas, but when its on ground all of the sudden its a travesty?

    I'm not necessarily against the idea myself. I never have been. I'm just wondering where the difference lies?
    I'm not 100% sure it is ok, except that it would fit in well with my plans to be a pirate. Privateer is legal pirate. It's true that some of the bigger loss of civilian life in Iraq came at the hands of the hired mercenaries we have there. Now isn't much different I would say. Privateers were used heavily in the Revolutionary war and subsequent engagements because of lack of man power. The navy was fully committed elsewhere and couldn't respond. Privateers were hired to go out and basically be pirates against other country's (notably England) ships. They attacked a lot of merchant ships and took the valuables. The Navy could still engage where it was needed, and supplies and funding could be disrupted from the homeland by use of privateer.

    We're not currently in this situation for 2 reasons. 1 is that we aren't at our limitation for our military. We've still got enough resources to use our military instead of hiring out. 2 is that the pirates don't have ****. So instead of looting, the privateers will have to collect bounty paid out by the US government.

    There's a part of me that definitely likes this solution because we get to use letters of marque and reprisal and do stuff like we did back in revolutionary times. But there's a part of me that's thinking this isn't going to be the best of ideas. Privateers can get a lot of other people caught up in their mess too. Mercenaries tend to live by sloppier rules and aren't as disciplined as our military. That part also thinks the government would like this solution because then the problem can be "addressed" without them dirtying their hands. And considering we're still going at it in Iraq and Afghanistan, they probably want to drop this issue completely.
    Last edited by Ikari; 04-16-09 at 11:04 AM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    Sexual Deviant
    GottaHurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    05-07-09 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Ron Paul: Bring back private pirate hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I'm reposting this, as it might get buried in that gun talk on the other page. I would like to know the answer to this.....
    I'm not sure why there'd be a difference. personally, I'm all for using private militaries to handle certain situations.

    Look at the effectiveness of Executive Outcomes in cleaning out Sierra Leone.

    To me, private, smaller quick strike units make more sense than deploying our armed forces.
    Pain can be such a beautiful thing

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •