Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 185

Thread: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Basically what the Texans are saying is that they do not like the federal government curb-checking their blood lust.

    You know what? Too damn bad. Texas should be banned from using the death penalty.

    Texas is NOT going to execute mentally retarded people. If they don't like it, TOO DAMN BAD.

  2. #52
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,525

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Basically what the Texans are saying is that they do not like the federal government curb-checking their blood lust.

    You know what? Too damn bad. Texas should be banned from using the death penalty.

    Texas is NOT going to execute mentally retarded people. If they don't like it, TOO DAMN BAD.
    I read the article and I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion based on the article.

    Could you point me to some other source that has more details? I ask because on the surface it sounds like a great idea in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I read the article and I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion based on the article.

    Could you point me to some other source that has more details? I ask because on the surface it sounds like a great idea in my opinion.
    Texas is only asserting state's rights because they are tired of the federal government stepping on their necks whenever they [Texas] uses the death penalty.

    Among other things ... Texas wants to circumvent federal oversight. This is the reason behind the entire movement.

    In short, the government of Texas, except for their support for gun rights, can **** off.

  4. #54
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,525

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Texas is only asserting state's rights because they are tired of the federal government stepping on their necks whenever they [Texas] uses the death penalty.

    Among other things ... Texas wants to circumvent federal oversight. This is the reason behind the entire movement.

    In short, the government of Texas, except for their support for gun rights, can **** off.
    I don't think the Federal government should step in as each state should have a degree of sovereignty I feel the feds have over stepped. The penalty's for crimes in my opinion should be handled by the state unless it is a Federal crime. This would include sentencing and punishment.

    I see your point and will just agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    How much of that would go away if CA was no longer part of the US?
    As long as California was still a trade partner of the US, not much.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    As long as California was still a trade partner of the US, not much.
    There's more to it than that.
    The US government provides various levels of stability and security to CA, in political, economic, financial, fiscal, diplomatic and military terms. These go a long way to support California's ability to have such a large economy.

    Same with its large population -- what % of Californians do you suppose would choose to remain Americans, and leave?

  7. #57
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Basically what the Texans are saying is that they do not like the federal government curb-checking their blood lust.
    That's about as on point as someone arguing that Californians don't want the federal government interfering in the medical marijuana issue because it might curb-check their reefer madness. In fact the reefer madness argument would make more sense.

    Of course, Californians have generally been praised by those on the left for fighting what they perceive to be overbearing federal intrusion into state affairs:

    On October 29, 2002, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously upheld the right for doctors to recommend marijuana to their patients. The Justices emphasized that it is the role of the states, not the federal government, to regulate the practice of medicine.
    And as anyone who's been following recent news recently understands, Gov. Perry's support of this resolution has little to do with the death penalty, but quite a bit to do with increased government regulations tied to the stimulus package...


    Gov. Perry Sides with Texas Employers in Responding to Federal Stimulus Guidelines


    When a liberal state rejects conservative federal authority, that's progress. When a conservative state rejects liberal federal authority, that's a sign that 'rightwing extremists' are elevating the domestic terrorism threat in the U.S. And that's exactly the type of mentality displayed by the "blood lust" quote above.

    ..
    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 04-15-09 at 03:06 PM.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There's more to it than that.
    The US government provides various levels of stability and security to CA, in political, economic, financial, fiscal, diplomatic and military terms. These go a long way to support California's ability to have such a large economy.

    Same with its large population -- what % of Californians do you suppose would choose to remain Americans, and leave?
    That argument could be used for every single state. For this hypothetical situation lets assume only federal entities leave the state (CA, Texas, etc.) after secession. That's basically just the Military and some government groups.

    So assuming no companies leave CA (agriculture, import/export, san fran/silicon valley, hollywood) then CA would still do great and retain a major part of it's $1.8 trillion GDP. Of course the lack of military would still be an issue, but every seceding state would have this problem, but at least CA has the infrastructure to house several types of military with their various bases. They just need Californian volunteers, which should grow rather quickly given the 33 million population in California.

    Also, what will happen to the US's trade routes when they lose 840 miles of it's 1293 mile continental coast line on the west? I would assume some very appealing trade partnerships would need to be in place that would bolster California's economy. Not to mention that the US also lost 13% of its GDP once California left.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 04-15-09 at 03:51 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  9. #59
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    That argument could be used for every single state.
    Sure it could. I was simply addressing your assertions regarding CA.

    For this hypothetical situation lets assume only federal entities leave the state (CA, Texas, etc.) after secession. That's basically just the Military and some government groups.
    Physically, yes. This doesnt address the intangibles I noted.

    So assuming no companies leave CA (agriculture, import/export, san fran/silicon valley, hollywood)
    Given the beforementioned absence of the security and stability provided by the United States, why would you assume this?

    They just need Californian volunteers, which should grow rather quickly given the 33 million population in California.
    As touched on before:
    What % of that 33 million will decide to remain Americans, and leave?

    Also, what will happen to the US's trade routes when they lose 840 miles of it's 1293 mile continental coast line on the west?
    I can speak from a knowledgeable position on this:
    Presuming the CA ports weren't available for transit to the rest of the US, Portland and Seattle would become very busy.

  10. #60
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    I'd love to see Arnold saying, "Don't mess vit Kalifornia!"
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •