Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 185 of 185

Thread: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    It does matter.

    Ultimately, taxpayers fund all these wonderful things. A state which secedes loses these agencies and their presumed benefits....but that state's citizens gain by the taxes they no longer send to the Federal government.
    Except that without jobs, taxes become pretty thin. What would probably happen the taxes paid to the fed would need to be paid to the state to compensate so the average citizen wouldn't see a lower tax rate. Of course, the fed employees would look to the state for jobs in areas that were federal.

    How many military families live in Texas? They'd be leaving since the military would be pulled out. The Tejas would have to form it's own military and buy F-16s and Tanks... in order to be secure they would have to tax the people to pay for the military expenditures... Hell removing all fed money, programs and resources would basically do in the Tejas ecomony right out of the gate.

    This is even presuming that the agencies you cited provide meaningful benefit to a state. Several of those agencies arguably provide nothing of value to any state.
    Arguably is right. If they aren't beneficial why do they have them or better, why don't the citizens get rid of them first and then bloviate about secession?

    As for the Texas economy cratering because of a mass exodus of people.....if secession were to occur today, that is likely to be the case: 75% of Texans are opposed to secession. Should that percentage ever turn in favor of secession, that argument necessarily becomes suspect because the mass exodus in question becomes unlikely--people aren't going to vote to secede from the US then rush to move to the US.
    Like I said, just removing the military and building their own security force/military would bankrupt them even if the vote were to pass.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Arguably is right. If they aren't beneficial why do they have them or better, why don't the citizens get rid of them first and then bloviate about secession?
    So your argument is that these agencies exist, therefore they must be beneficial?

  3. #183
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Like I said, just removing the military and building their own security force/military would bankrupt them even if the vote were to pass.
    Oh? Countries with economies smaller than Texas' have managed to handle their security needs without becoming bankrupt? On what basis do you presume Texas could not do likewise?

    Or are you envisioning a Beijing/Taipei style of tension between Washington and Austin, necessitating a massive arms buildup?

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    So your argument is that these agencies exist, therefore they must be beneficial?
    At one time, yes. They may have become bloated or unnecessary since their inception but if your argument is that the people of texas just beg for useless federal bureaucracies then...

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Oh? Countries with economies smaller than Texas' have managed to handle their security needs without becoming bankrupt? On what basis do you presume Texas could not do likewise
    Not after having their government and it's funding pulled out.

    Or are you envisioning a Beijing/Taipei style of tension between Washington and Austin, necessitating a massive arms buildup?
    More like Mexico vs Austin, do you seriously doubt that mexicans wouldn't FLOCK to Texas and then as a majority of the population ask to be annexed?

  5. #185
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Gov. Perry Backs Resolution Affirming Texas’ Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    More like Mexico vs Austin, do you seriously doubt that mexicans wouldn't FLOCK to Texas and then as a majority of the population ask to be annexed?
    Yes, I do.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •