Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 189

Thread: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

  1. #121
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    What do you mean by worst atrocities? Using your moral relativism these atrocities were perfectly justifiable. Put yourself in the place of a Hitler, he believed that the Jew was destroying Germany, and he felt that the only way to protect his kin and kith was to exterminate world Jewry, after all who are you to judge his motivations and his actions? Good and evil after all is subjective. Dehuminization maybe responsible for the worst atrocities of all time but moral relativism is what is used to justify them.
    I'm not a moral relativist. Hitler's actions were evil; so were Tibbets'. I make a distinction between good/evil and justifiable/unjustifiable. The actions of Hitler were not justifiable, Tibbets' were.

  2. #122
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    Exactly. No absolute evil anyway. There is only opinion.
    Then there is no right, either. And there's no point to any of this, no point to politics; no policy is any better than any other. No form of government and no act of government is any better than any other. There is no better or worse, there is only difference. People living free; people being herded into gas chambers -- it's all the same.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #123
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Humans are a form of animal, but a form never before seen on this planet. A vastly superior form at that. In the brief time we've been on this planet, we've completely colonized the planet, radically reshaped it (not in the physical shape of the planet, but environmentally and such), escaped its gravity, and even scratched at the surface of understanding the base of the universe itself. Our intellect separates us from the herd and allows us to dominate the rest. While many species have varying degrees of intelligence, no species comes close to the level of intelligence and extelligence innately possessed by humans. We are the superior species till a better one comes along.

    I've always likened humans to the mage class of RPGs. Not strong, not fast, not nimble. Nature neglected all other attributes which are found in other animals and focuses almost exclusively on intelligence. One on one against most other animals, the human is screwed. We're rather fragile when compared to much of the rest of the animal kingdom. But we can think and we can create, and because of that we can dominate. We may not win at arm wrestling a bear, but we sure as hell can invent the gun to kill the bear before it gets to that stage.
    So we're more clever. We can do math. Why does that make us more valuable?

    Some would argue that all we've done makes us a plague unto the Earth.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #124
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Then there is no right, either. And there's no point to any of this, no point to politics; no policy is any better than any other. No form of government and no act of government is any better than any other. There is no better or worse, there is only difference. People living free; people being herded into gas chambers -- it's all the same.
    It's always fun to use hyperbole in lieu of actually discussing the topic, isn't it?

  5. #125
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    It's always fun to use hyperbole in lieu of actually discussing the topic, isn't it?
    Oh, now you're all worried about the letter of the topic.

    Your argument in the topic is that there's no evil. I'm demonstrating exactly why your argument fails. If there's no evil, then there's no right. You very likely will not acknowledge that there is no right. Therefore, there is a right. And if there IS a right, then there's a wrong. You cannot have one without the other. A grand wrong is an evil.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #126
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Then there is no right, either. And there's no point to any of this, no point to politics; no policy is any better than any other. No form of government and no act of government is any better than any other. There is no better or worse, there is only difference. People living free; people being herded into gas chambers -- it's all the same.
    And every component of each of your particles, after innumerable recyclings, will eventually spread out so far across the ever-expanding universe that the light from one will never reach another.

    If that doesnt deomostrate how nothing really matters, nothing will.

  7. #127
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And every component of each of your particles, after innumerable recyclings, will eventually spread out so far across the ever-expanding universe that the light from one will never reach another.

    If that doesnt deomostrate how nothing really matters, nothing will.
    That's one possibility and actually there would be no light because there would be no stars.

  8. #128
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    That's one possibility and actually there would be no light because there would be no stars.
    By 'light' I mean EM emissions. Sorry.
    Never mind that you need not have a star to have light.

  9. #129
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Whether this makes sense or not will be determined by the intelligence they will be gathering over the coming days/weeks/months.
    I`m not so sure that,"intelligence", has a chance of makeing any kind of contribution here. This modern day high seas piracy has been going on ,full tilt, off all of the African coasts, for the last couple of decades now, and nothing has been done about it yet. Obama might pretend to do something,(photo ops and sound bites...complete with telepromters), but he truely is an idiot, elected,...( I mean installed in the office of the presidency) to perform as a figurehead. Lacking intelligence..., intelligence has no hope. Africa is an entirely criminal nation fully immersed in revolution and genocide all of the time. There is less hope, and much greater potential for interminable war in Africa, than in all of the deserts of the world. OH heck...now that I think about it, piracy has been going on for a little longer than i stated before...hmmm.

  10. #130
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: US military mulls attacking Somali pirates' land bases; pirates vow revenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, now you're all worried about the letter of the topic.
    I'm not worried about anything. I just think it's funny that you are suddenly resorting to hyperbole.

    Your argument in the topic is that there's no evil. I'm demonstrating exactly why your argument fails. If there's no evil, then there's no right. You very likely will not acknowledge that there is no right. Therefore, there is a right. And if there IS a right, then there's a wrong. You cannot have one without the other. A grand wrong is an evil.
    There is no universally defined evil. Can you prove that there is? If there is, where does it come from? Who or what ultimately decides what is good or evil that overrides the opinions of every single person on the planet?

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •