Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

  1. #21
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    No they won't ...

    The riches outweigh the risk of death ..
    Death is not a deterrant and never will be, life is seen as cheap in Somalia.
    BS. There's no such thing as a rich dead man. The key is to make the risks outweigh the benefits so that piracy becomes only marginally profitable, if at all, and results in the death or imprisonment of the pirates in the overwhelming majority of cases.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    BS. There's no such thing as a rich dead man. The key is to make the risks outweigh the benefits so that piracy becomes only marginally profitable, if at all, and results in the death or imprisonment of the pirates in the overwhelming majority of cases.
    I call bull****.

    Pirates take some money yes but alot of it goes to their family. If they die but their 'friends' survive, their share of the booty still goes on.


  3. #23
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I call bull****.

    Pirates take some money yes but alot of it goes to their family. If they die but their 'friends' survive, their share of the booty still goes on.
    Dead/imprisoned pirates, failed raids, recovered ships, no booty... Here's the thing - right now it's cheaper for the shipping companies to pay the bounty. When they decide this is no longer the case, the pirates are going to be in a world of hurt. Now what we're seeing is governments step in on behalf of their citizens. If they try to take another American ship, the result will be the same - death or imprisonment. No booty, just misery.

    I think honeypots would be a great way to deter piracy. Just load up a ship full of troops and pretend to be a tanker/cargo ship/whatever. When they try to board your ship, do whatever needs to be done. This adds to the risk calculation of even attempting to hijack a ship. They'll have to counter with larger boats and bigger raid parties, which can easily be detected and destroyed by our Navy.

  4. #24
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Dead/imprisoned pirates, failed raids, recovered ships, no booty... Here's the thing - right now it's cheaper for the shipping companies to pay the bounty. When they decide this is no longer the case, the pirates are going to be in a world of hurt. Now what we're seeing is governments step in on behalf of their citizens. If they try to take another American ship, the result will be the same - death or imprisonment. No booty, just misery.

    I think honeypots would be a great way to deter piracy. Just load up a ship full of troops and pretend to be a tanker/cargo ship/whatever. When they try to board your ship, do whatever needs to be done. This adds to the risk calculation of even attempting to hijack a ship. They'll have to counter with larger boats and bigger raid parties, which can easily be detected and destroyed by our Navy.
    That's a good idea but that's assuming the Somalians are dumber than a box of rocks. Which, very well might be the case. Laila seems to think they are simply retarded and have no value on life. She might be right too. I dunno.

    But that honey-pot idea would be one heckuva secret to keep. Plus, only a small fraction of the passing ships get assaulted. What are the odds?

    I think we ougta go with the security squads flying under a neutral flag on as many vessels as we can.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Laila seems to think they are simply retarded and have no value on life. She might be right too. I dunno.
    I didn't mean to make it sound like that.

    I mean, hey. They were clever enough to outwit how many navies to hijack ships?

    I just meant to make the point that after 24 years of deaths and before that the famine and starvation.
    Life becomes expendable and is seen as cheap as death is nothing new.


  6. #26
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    That's a good idea but that's assuming the Somalians are dumber than a box of rocks. Which, very well might be the case. Laila seems to think they are simply retarded and have no value on life. She might be right too. I dunno.
    Nah. These aren't like Al-queda or some other group fighting for some higher cause. They're in it for material wealth.

    But that honey-pot idea would be one heckuva secret to keep. Plus, only a small fraction of the passing ships get assaulted. What are the odds?
    Low enough that the shipping companies prefer to pay the ransom... Which makes you wander if anything other than rescue operations is warranted at all. The free market has thus far decided that it's cheaper just to pay the ransom or in some cases equip the crew with small arms. Any effort to "eradicate" piracy is just wasted money. Maybe putting dormant SpecOps teams on a few randomly selected ships every day would be a good idea. All it would take would be one honeypot to have the desired effect. Send one of the pirates home to tell em what happened to his comrades.

    I'm really not sure ships can fly under a UN flag and I'm not sure the blue helmets can be put to this use, plus I'm not sure they'd be all that effective if they were. What's clear to me is the US Navy can't be the World Police and we should be concerned primarily if not exclusively with US citizens and assets. Since this is largely not an American problem, I don't think it justifies that much of an investment on our part.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Last Seen
    04-17-09 @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    It gives food for thought as a revenue vertical for the US Treasury since these ships are covered by insurance policies, one owner said as much as 750k per ship and there are what? 20k ships passing through? money to develop new technology, live practice for keeping skill sets sharp and $$$$ for a resource we have to maintain 365/24/7 so we do have the SEALS to send in when needed for the American citizen... they used to offer a bounty on pirates in the 'good ole days', often history reveals a solution...

    Not realistic, just thinking outside of the box and enjoying the intellect and not so intellectual banter in the thread... thank you

  8. #28
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I see no reason why armed UN peacekeepers shouldn't be allowed to be contracted to protect private vessels. Any pirate approaching a ship flying the UN flag beneath the ship's registered flag, should be enough to warn approaching terrorist pirates to approach at their own risk.

    Just makes sense to me. Might as well use the UN for something productive.
    Will their guns have bullets?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •