Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

  1. #11
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    I see no reason why armed UN peacekeepers shouldn't be allowed to be contracted to protect private vessels. Any pirate approaching a ship flying the UN flag beneath the ship's registered flag, should be enough to warn approaching terrorist pirates to approach at their own risk.

    Just makes sense to me. Might as well use the UN for something productive.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    Ah, I was going for the fact that frigates, cruise liners, tankers, etc..etc cannot have weapons on their ship.
    Cruise liners can have armed security personal on board.

    Cruise lines are reluctant to talk about their specific security plans, fearing that the information could help those willing to pounce on ships. Crye said companies are permitted to arm their crews, but he wouldn't say if they did.
    Cruise Ships Vulnerable to Attacks

  3. #13
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Cruise liners can have armed security personal on board.

    Cruise lines are reluctant to talk about their specific security plans, fearing that the information could help those willing to pounce on ships. Crye said companies are permitted to arm their crews, but he wouldn't say if they did.
    Cruise Ships Vulnerable to Attacks
    Ah, neat, good idea on their part.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  4. #14
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I see no reason why armed UN peacekeepers shouldn't be allowed to be contracted to protect private vessels. Any pirate approaching a ship flying the UN flag beneath the ship's registered flag, should be enough to warn approaching terrorist pirates to approach at their own risk.

    Just makes sense to me. Might as well use the UN for something productive.
    So you are saying we can hire the US military to defend the boats? Because that is what you are saying. You basicly making every military force that contributes to the UN peacekeeping force a mercenary... Then again the US does not participate in UN peacekeeping, so why should you care..
    PeteEU

  5. #15
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I see no reason why armed UN peacekeepers shouldn't be allowed to be contracted to protect private vessels.
    The UN is a peacekeeping force, i do not want UN forces protecting a few oil rich ships tyvm.
    The use of them can be used much more effectively elsewhere, besides. If US wishes to protect ships, let the US Navy take the job.


  6. #16
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    The UN is a peacekeeping force, i do not want UN forces protecting a few oil rich ships tyvm.
    The use of them can be used much more effectively elsewhere, besides. If US wishes to protect ships, let the US Navy take the job.
    Just put a couple of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System"]these suckers[/ame] on the ships and deep fry their asses.

    Last edited by BulletWounD; 04-13-09 at 07:03 PM.

  7. #17
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are saying we can hire the US military to defend the boats? Because that is what you are saying. You basicly making every military force that contributes to the UN peacekeeping force a mercenary... Then again the US does not participate in UN peacekeeping, so why should you care..
    You know, how come it's always me that has to inform someone that they have left their fly open? I know it's embarassing for them. I don't particularly like to be the one who has to tell them either. But what am I supposed to do? Let them walk around with their little turtle-head poking out and continue to embarass themselves?

    Looky here Petey. That's what YOU are saying. I CLEARLY said "UN Peacekeepers." Not ONCE did I say "US Military." So, unless you are suggesting that the UN Peacekeeping forces and the US military are two in the same (which is another debate in and of itself) I hate to be the one to tell you this but your fly is open and your lil' turtle-head is pokin out.'

    If all the nations come together through the UN and strongly denounce these Somali scum suckers and initiate a Zero Piracy Tolerance, under a collective flag of the UN, and let the UN attempt exterminate them, everytime they stick up their little pirate heads, I think that might do the trick.

    I think a trained force of five with some semi-sophisticated equipment on each ship should be enough to swat the pesty pirates whenever they are stupid enough to try their hi-jacking escapade. And the shipping company should incur the expenses of this UN fighting force. It's cheaper than ransom and it's cheap insurance.

    Sooner or later, even a Somalin will get the message that we ain't gonna be putting up with their armed robbery on the high seas. Or, anywhere else for that matter. Call the Orkin man for all I care.
    Last edited by Captain America; 04-13-09 at 07:12 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #18
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    The UN is a peacekeeping force, i do not want UN forces protecting a few oil rich ships tyvm.
    The use of them can be used much more effectively elsewhere, besides. If US wishes to protect ships, let the US Navy take the job.
    I can't even make myself type a response to that.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Sooner or later, even a Somalin will get the message that we ain't gonna be putting up with their armed robbery on the high seas.
    No they won't ...

    The riches outweigh the risk of death ..
    Death is not a deterrant and never will be, life is seen as cheap in Somalia.


  10. #20
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Somali Insurgents Fire at US Congressman During Visit to Mogadishu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You know, how come it's always me that has to inform someone that they have left their fly open? I know it's embarassing for them. I don't particularly like to be the one who has to tell them either. But what am I supposed to do? Let them walk around with their little turtle-head poking out and continue to embarass themselves?

    Looky here Petey. That's what YOU are saying. I CLEARLY said "UN Peacekeepers." Not ONCE did I say "US Military." So, unless you are suggesting that the UN Peacekeeping forces and the US military are two in the same (which is another debate in and of itself) I hate to be the one to tell you this but your fly is open and your lil' turtle-head is pokin out.'

    If all the nations come together through the UN and strongly denounce these Somali scum suckers and initiate a Zero Piracy Tolerance, under a collective flag of the UN, and let the UN attempt exterminate them, everytime they stick up their little pirate heads, I think that might do the trick.

    I think a trained force of five with some semi-sophisticated equipment on each ship should be enough to swat the pesty pirates whenever they are stupid enough to try their hi-jacking escapade. And the shipping company should incur the expenses of this UN fighting force. It's cheaper than ransom and it's cheap insurance.

    Sooner or later, even a Somalin will get the message that we ain't gonna be putting up with their armed robbery on the high seas. Or, anywhere else for that matter. Call the Orkin man for all I care.
    I dunno about the UN, but one thing we could do is send "honeypot" ships through the waters the pirates patrol. Nice, fat, ships full of empty containers. When the pirates board the ship, they are shocked to find that the crew consists of US Navy SEALS. SURPRISE! Then they can be detained for information gathering purposes, put to justice, and of course killed if need be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •