Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

  1. #21
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    I was referring to disarming the clans.
    Attack a clan?


  2. #22
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Again,

    We don't get military to distribute supplies-- unless you are looking to put a few rounds into the brains of a few warlords.
    We do get military to distribute supplies....do it all the time. What do you think the National Guard does when hurricanes and other natural disasters beat up communities here in the United States?

  3. #23
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    We do get military to distribute supplies....do it all the time. What do you think the National Guard does when hurricanes and other natural disasters beat up communities here in the United States?
    I didn't mean "we don't get" in the sense of "it's not fact" or "it's not what happens" I meant it in the sense "it shouldn't happen because people are gonna-be-a-gunnin for whitey"
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  4. #24
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I didn't mean "we don't get" in the sense of "it's not fact" or "it's not what happens" I meant it in the sense "it shouldn't happen because people are gonna-be-a-gunnin for whitey"
    THe first phases of US involvement in Somalia, Operations Provide Relief and Restore Hope, were largely successful. Various clan factions did attempt to disrupt relief efforts (leading to the initiation of Operation Restore Hope, which was to secure and protect relief efforts), but, overall, those operations were a success.

    It was only the transition to nation-building, and the failure of the UN to adequately comprehend Aidid's prominence in the constant internecine warfare among the clans, that went south.

    Had Clinton drawn down US presence in Somalia immediately after Restore Hope, and only engaged Somali clans with clear and finite objectives, the Battle of Mogadishu would not have been fought, and the resultant humiliation of Delta Force would not have occurred.

  5. #25
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    THe first phases of US involvement in Somalia, Operations Provide Relief and Restore Hope, were largely successful. Various clan factions did attempt to disrupt relief efforts (leading to the initiation of Operation Restore Hope, which was to secure and protect relief efforts), but, overall, those operations were a success.

    It was only the transition to nation-building, and the failure of the UN to adequately comprehend Aidid's prominence in the constant internecine warfare among the clans, that went south.

    Had Clinton drawn down US presence in Somalia immediately after Restore Hope, and only engaged Somali clans with clear and finite objectives, the Battle of Mogadishu would not have been fought, and the resultant humiliation of Delta Force would not have occurred.
    Agreed.
    This whole concept of Nation-State is purely Euro-Centric. The Sudanese, for example, don't considered themselves "Sudanese" they consider themselves part of the different tribes and clans. We can try and provide a State, but that State will almost automatically convene in a disgusting display of pork-barreling-esque politics where the State will favor one clan or tribe over another.

    and boom, Civil War.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #26
    Devil Dog cherokee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    09-11-09 @ 11:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    I would never have gotten involved in clan conflicts. If clan chiefs interfered with relief efforts, then and only to that extent would I have troops attacking them.

    Let the UN come in and take on the job of building a viable nation-state, or partition it properly so that viable states are the end result.


    Agreed. Once Aidid had been eliminated, then US troops could have withdrawn honorably.
    Agreed we (US Military) are NOT nation builders nor are we a police force. what we are good at is killing people who need it like the warlords.

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I didn't mean "we don't get" in the sense of "it's not fact" or "it's not what happens" I meant it in the sense "it shouldn't happen because people are gonna-be-a-gunnin for whitey"
    Sounds like a statement from a true racist.

    .

  8. #28
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    When one wishes to negotiate, one must first speak your opponent's language.

    Terrorists understand a language of violence and fear. Ergo, that is the proper language to use in "negotiating" with terrorists.

    Thus, the way to "negotiate" with al-Shahab is to napalm their training camps and incinerate every living person within. Give them not the glorious death they crave but a most undignified and inglorious death, a most useless and purposeless death, and do so in a horrific and terrifying fashion.

    That will speak to them in their own language. The message will be simple, succinct, and certainly understood: "go to hell".
    Did I say "negiotiate"?? No I didn't. What is wrong with some of you American conservatives? You live in a simplified world were it is simply black and white, two options. Either bomb the crap out of them or negiotiate.

    There is always a plan C. Look at JFK with the Berlin blockade Crisis and Cuban Missile crisis. Did JFK just start bombing stuff or submitting to the Soviets?
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  9. #29
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    Did I say "negiotiate"?? No I didn't. What is wrong with some of you American conservatives? You live in a simplified world were it is simply black and white, two options. Either bomb the crap out of them or negiotiate.
    I live in a world where piracy and terrorism are immoral and are detestable to all civilized people. I live in a world where any who engage in such activities are beyond the pale, whose just reward is death.

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    There is always a plan C. Look at JFK with the Berlin blockade Crisis and Cuban Missile crisis. Did JFK just start bombing stuff or submitting to the Soviets?
    Non sequitur. The Soviets were not pirates nor terrorists. The Russians today are not pirates nor terrorists. The Soviet Union was a state. Cuba is a state. Russia is a state.

    You engage in diplomacy, detente, containment, and other negotiation strategies with states. You kill pirates and terrorists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •