Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    U.S. drops conditions on Iran talks

    The Obama administration accelerated a diplomatic blitz with Iran on Wednesday, saying that it will drop previous conditions and become a "full participant" in European Union-led nuclear negotiations.

    The talks, headed by EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, have been going on for more than four years. The Bush administration refused to take part unless Iran stopped enriching uranium, which Tehran says is for civilian purposes but can be also used to build a nuclear weapon.

    The decision was announced as top diplomats from six nations dealing with the issue met in London. The group is known as the "P5+1" and includes the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council - the U.S., Britain, France, Russia and China - as well as Germany.

    "What is different is that the U.S. will join P5+1 discussions with Iran from now on," State Department spokesman Robert A. Wood told reporters. "If Iran accepts, we hope this will be the occasion to seriously engage Iran on how to break the logjam of recent years and work in a cooperative manner to resolve the outstanding international concerns about its nuclear program."

    The group in 2006 offered Tehran political and economic incentives for ending uranium enrichment, but Iran refused. That has led to three rounds of U.N. sanctions.

    Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Wednesday that William J. Burns, undersecretary of state for political affairs, "is now participating in the P5+1 as a full participant, not just as an observer."

    "Pursuing very careful engagement on a range of issues that affect our interests and the interests of the world with Iran makes sense, and there's nothing more important than trying to convince Iran to cease its efforts to obtain a nuclear weapon," Mrs. Clinton said.

    State Department officials said the administration still wants Iran to suspend uranium enrichment but will no longer make that a precondition.
    So Obama's going to talk to Iran without preconditions. Gee, where did we hear this before? Oh, yeah, before this clod was elected.

    Funny thing is, history had another leader who told the world exactly what he was going to do, and nobody believed him. Then he did it. Too bad peopel didn't pay more attention to Mein Kampf.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Who said people didn't believe him?

    Some people LIKED the fact he'd support talking to them without preconditions. Obama himself stated his support for such thoughts.

    I'm confused by your notion here. Who didn't believe that his administration was going to do this?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    So what's wrong with those people, then?

    "Who didn't believe that his administration was going to do this? "

    Well, Obama was doing some heavy backpedaling during the debates on this topic, because it became apparent that most people didn't want some wuss that wasn't going to take a stand against Iran in the White House.

    So the wuss lied, and the really stupid people believed him.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 04-09-09 at 05:08 PM.

  4. #4
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In the desert
    Last Seen
    09-22-09 @ 09:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    How dare they negotiate with Iran without preconditions, just like they said they would I would prefer that Obama keep a strong front and sell Iran arms through the back door, just like Reagan

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    How dare they negotiate with Iran without preconditions, just like they said they would I would prefer that Obama keep a strong front and sell Iran arms through the back door, just like Reagan
    Definitely. The men under Reagan sold Iran obsolete weapons for top dollar. That's a great idea.

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In the desert
    Last Seen
    09-22-09 @ 09:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Definitely. The men under Reagan sold Iran obsolete weapons for top dollar. That's a great idea.
    It is all good only when there is money to be made. Gotta love this capitalism thing....

  7. #7
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    I am with Obama on this one.

    It appears to me that the past 8 years of "Sit Down Iran, Now listen to me talk" has had very, very little effect. The embargoes and the UN Resolutions and the down-talking did nothing to change the fact that Iran is still steadily increasing their capability when it comes to Nuclear materials.

    It's time for a new approach. Though Ahmadinejad is not very popular in Iran right now, and his a chance of losing June elections to some moderates, nuclear proliferation is a hot-deal amongst the Iranian people. The problem is not the Presidency, but it's the sentiment of the Iranian people.

    Black-eyeing Ahmadinejad will not help our cause when it comes to settling down their nuclear ambitions.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #8
    User Stryker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-09-09 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I am with Obama on this one.

    It appears to me that the past 8 years of "Sit Down Iran, Now listen to me talk" has had very, very little effect. The embargoes and the UN Resolutions and the down-talking did nothing to change the fact that Iran is still steadily increasing their capability when it comes to Nuclear materials.

    It's time for a new approach. Though Ahmadinejad is not very popular in Iran right now, and his a chance of losing June elections to some moderates, nuclear proliferation is a hot-deal amongst the Iranian people. The problem is not the Presidency, but it's the sentiment of the Iranian people.

    Black-eyeing Ahmadinejad will not help our cause when it comes to settling down their nuclear ambitions.

    Talking with them wont help our cause either. We need to ratchet up the pressure, not coddle them.

  9. #9
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Talking with them wont help our cause either. We need to ratchet up the pressure, not coddle them.
    I'd much rather my mother hit me, then for her to give a "I'm disappointed" conversation.

    I do not think we are going to coddle them, as you would imply. We have to win support of the Iranian people, and limiting the amount of goods going into their country is not the way to do it.

    We have to recognize their ambitions as a symbol of their pride; makes others aware that they exist.

    I personally do not believe there is any intentions of Iran to blow Israel off of the map with nuclear materials. I think if Iran really wanted to see Israel suffer, then they would have already launched biological attacks.

    We tend to take dynamic characters and make them flat. Iran isn't evil, and Iran isn't good; yes, there are good and evil people. I don't think evil people are worth enough to punish the good people.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  10. #10
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: US to Talk to Iran Without Preconditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I'd much rather my mother hit me, then for her to give a "I'm disappointed" conversation.

    I do not think we are going to coddle them, as you would imply. We have to win support of the Iranian people, and limiting the amount of goods going into their country is not the way to do it.

    We have to recognize their ambitions as a symbol of their pride; makes others aware that they exist.

    I personally do not believe there is any intentions of Iran to blow Israel off of the map with nuclear materials. I think if Iran really wanted to see Israel suffer, then they would have already launched biological attacks.

    We tend to take dynamic characters and make them flat. Iran isn't evil, and Iran isn't good; yes, there are good and evil people. I don't think evil people are worth enough to punish the good people.
    The Iranian leadership have a longterm goal of destroying Israel. It's only natural that Israel would oppose their acquisition of nuclear weapons. Because Israel is our ally, it's only natural that we would see to it that they do not obtain those weapons. Whether they would or would not be used directly by the regime against Israel is irrelevant and unpredictable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •