You guys are missing the point. Who's ship it is is irrelevant.
There are two issues:
1) They're Americans held hostage abroad.
2) This provides Obama with political incentive and capital to take care of a problem that's been ignored previously.
There's a body of international law blocking the Western powers from dealing with the pirating problem effectively. Domestically the more immediate issues of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan makes raising the political will for a decisive action difficult.
This changes everything. A bold strike from Obama would probably be tolerated by the international community (at least the Europeans) even if it didn't fall completely within accepted international protocol, and wouldn't otherwise be popular domestically.
And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?
I don't recall implying that Clinton invented terrorism. It's just one more of many things that were going on during Clinton's presidency though that's been handed off to Bush. And now that an American city has finally been attacked it's on Bush's watch and now he's got to deal with it
The ship is Danish pure and simple. The flag of the ship means nothing these days and in fact has not meant anything since the emergency of countries that give "benefits" to ship owners for flying their flag instead of the flag of the owners country. It is all about money.
"He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
So to sum up where we are:
- Petey (clueless as usual) assumed FOX News said something without any actual proof (par for the course with Petey)
- Cardinal blames Bush for this, even though a US ship or a ship with US crewmembers aboard was never attacked during his Presidency
- WillRockwell (the centrist - ha) took a jab at Bush as well, even though a US ship or a ship with US crewmembers aboard was never attacked during his Presidency
- No one seems to have a "firm grasp" of maritime law here and most of what has been posted is "speculated opinion" on what they think it should be based on their own views
Bottom line, US citizens are being held hostage. It doesn't matter what flag was flown on the ship, it doesn't matter who owns the ship, all that matters is that US citizens are being held hostage. Aside from increasing troop strength in Afghanistan and telling Iraq to take control, Obama has done nothing to impress me. As someone else pointed out, he has done nothing in terms of the US journalists that are being held in China and in Iran. This is his chance to act Presidential and do the right thing, but I seriously doubt it will happen.
Update: US crew back in control of ship! I'm sure more details will come to light in the next several hours, but my hat is off to the crew!
Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.