Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 187

Thread: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There are many...............every state constitutional amendment against gay marriage was decided by popular vote DD............There are close to 30 including one of the biggest liberals states in the union in Oregon.........


    Oh and approved by huge majorities...........
    So? Since when has it been American to allow the majority to define what rights the minority is allowed to have? Okay, I mean outside of slavery and outside of taxing the rich and outside of jim crow and outside of interracial marriages, etc....

  2. #172
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    But give an example of any time where a person's Constitutional Rights have been eliminated by a referendum (other than prop 8).

    If I'm wrong....then I'm wrong. But I don't know of a single case in this country (other than prop 8) where Constititutional rights have been eliminated by a 50%+1 popular vote.
    Every single state referendum on gay marriage?



    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    My guys? Who are my guys and what were they a-ok with?
    The liberals on the Supreme Court who were okay with allowing the DEA to conduct raids on medicinal marijuana patients over state objections.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #173
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Every single state referendum on gay marriage?





    The liberals on the Supreme Court who were okay with allowing the DEA to conduct raids on medicinal marijuana patients over state objections.
    No. I think you are wrong. I don't know of any state where gay marriage was recognized as a Constitutional right and then taken away by a referendum
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #174
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No. I think you are wrong. I don't know of any state where gay marriage was recognized as a Constitutional right and then taken away by a referendum
    lol

    Either you consider gay marriage a constitutional right, or you don't.

    If you do, then every one of these states took away a constitutional right by majority vote.

    If you don't, then no constitutional right was taken away in any situation.

    What CA did was exactly the same as what everyone else did - the CA court just got there before the legislature did.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #175
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    04-14-09 @ 11:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Gay marriage? No marriage is happy (rim shot) Sorry couldn't resist

    Seriously though, isn't simply an issue of how we define marriage, "husband and wife", or 'spouses for life"? All this talk of rights is really a matter of rites.

  6. #176
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    lol

    Either you consider gay marriage a constitutional right, or you don't.

    If you do, then every one of these states took away a constitutional right by majority vote.

    If you don't, then no constitutional right was taken away in any situation.

    What CA did was exactly the same as what everyone else did - the CA court just got there before the legislature did.

    Whether I, you or anyone else personally consider something to be a "Constitutional Right" is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, that is something that is either for the Courts or the Legislature in the form of an Amendment.
    The California Constitutional right recognized gay marriage as a Constitutional right which was then eliminated by a 50% +1 popular vote. A dangerous precedent for other Constitutional rights. But Prop 8 remains the only time where a Constitutional right has been eliminated by a popular vote.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #177
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    l
    What CA did was exactly the same as what everyone else did - the CA court just got there before the legislature did.
    Not really sure what you are referring to here. The California Legislature TWICE passed legislation allowing gay marriage...so if that's what you are referring to, once again you are wrong. The Legislature got there before the Court.
    The legislation was vetoed by our Republican Governor, who incidentally said it should rest in a decision by the California Supreme Court.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #178
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Whether I, you or anyone else personally consider something to be a "Constitutional Right" is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, that is something that is either for the Courts or the Legislature in the form of an Amendment.
    The California Constitutional right recognized gay marriage as a Constitutional right which was then eliminated by a 50% +1 popular vote. A dangerous precedent for other Constitutional rights. But Prop 8 remains the only time where a Constitutional right has been eliminated by a popular vote.
    Again, only in the most convoluted way imaginable. The Prop 8 was effectively the exact same thing as the dozens of other amendments passed by other states. The only thing that's unique about it is that it came AFTER a state SC said that gay marriage was a constitutional right. It's nowhere near the groundbreaking thing that you're making it out to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not really sure what you are referring to here. The California Legislature TWICE passed legislation allowing gay marriage...so if that's what you are referring to, once again you are wrong. The Legislature got there before the Court.
    The legislation was vetoed by our Republican Governor, who incidentally said it should rest in a decision by the California Supreme Court.
    You know that if legislation isn't signed by the governor, it doesn't become law, right?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #179
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Again, only in the most convoluted way imaginable. The Prop 8 was effectively the exact same thing as the dozens of other amendments passed by other states. The only thing that's unique about it is that it came AFTER a state SC said that gay marriage was a constitutional right. It's nowhere near the groundbreaking thing that you're making it out to be.



    You know that if legislation isn't signed by the governor, it doesn't become law, right?
    Who's the one being "convoluted"....in the theoretical and legal sense of the word what I am saying is completely accurate. You are making an argument, that I don't disagree with in theory, but taken to the topic being discussed, is simply wrong and convoluted. Something doesn't become a Constitutional right because you, I or anyone else believes it should be
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #180
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Who's the one being "convoluted"....in the theoretical and legal sense of the word what I am saying is completely accurate. You are making an argument, that I don't disagree with in theory, but taken to the topic being discussed, is simply wrong and convoluted. Something doesn't become a Constitutional right because you, I or anyone else believes it should be
    Er...this is exactly my point.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •