Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 187

Thread: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Only because we the people have allowed it to be so... looks like people are starting to want that changed.
    Too bad they are making the wrong argument.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    No... it's relevant because people want to change the law and the norm of society for millennia, and if this norm is to be discarded on a political whim, what else do you want to discard?

    Most of us believe it is between a man and a woman.
    That is our line in the sand.

    What is your line in the sand and why?

    .
    In other words, you can't think of any real reason and fall back on the old, "my daddy did it that way, and his daddy before him" argument.

    My line is that I don't care what two people do. If they want to marry each other, its no problem to me. If they happen to share the same mechanical equipment, don't tell me and I won't look under their skirts to check, either.

    What do you care?

  3. #153
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit
    nothing you say can change the fact that gays and lesbians do not have the same rights as heterosexuals - the right to marry the adult citizen with whom they are in love.

    Nor do polygamists. Why isn't anyone championing their "rights?"
    One thing at a time.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Psst! What about economic populism? You know, when people vote to take money away from others? Is that okay, too? I mean, since you hate mob-rule so much I figured I'd ask.
    The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises [ . . . ] but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States [ . . . ][1]
    Guess what document that comes from.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Too bad they are making the wrong argument.
    You haven't proven that to be a true statement.

  6. #156
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Guess what document that comes from.
    Tell me where you find the "theft by proxy of the state" clause.

  7. #157
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am surprised you would even question it........That is how we do it in this country when activists get out of hand.........
    Other than prop 8...when have Constitutional rights EVER been put to a popular vote in this country?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,961

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Other than prop 8...when have Constitutional rights EVER been put to a popular vote in this country?
    Gay Marriage is not a constitutional right, unless you're saying its a constitutional right IN YOUR OPINION.

    Please show me the SCOTUS case that shows that gay marriage is a constitutional right.

  9. #159
    Student YamiB.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Seen
    08-14-09 @ 01:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    261

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gay Marriage is not a constitutional right, unless you're saying its a constitutional right IN YOUR OPINION.

    Please show me the SCOTUS case that shows that gay marriage is a constitutional right.
    Well wouldn't it still be putting a constitutional right to a majority vote irregardless of the US constitution and SCOTUS rulings? The California courts ruled that banning same-sex marriage violated the California constitution and then the Constitution was changed to remove the right to marriage for same-sex couples with a simple majority vote.

    The constitutional system in California seems kind of confusing/screwed up with the whole constitutional revisions and amendments thing.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    -Douglas Adams

    "It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so."
    -Felix Okoye

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    -Aristotle

  10. #160
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gay Marriage is not a constitutional right, unless you're saying its a constitutional right IN YOUR OPINION.

    Please show me the SCOTUS case that shows that gay marriage is a constitutional right.
    News Flash: The California Supreme Court found gay marriage to be a Constitutional right. That's old news.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •