Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 187

Thread: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    One of the beautiful things about America is that the decentralized nature of our federalist system, in which states are granted the autonomy to make decisions on controversial issues, allows the states to make decisions which best reflect the culture and values of that state.

    File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If that were true the DEA wouldn't be raiding Cannabis Clubs in CA.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    If a homosexual person can today, marry a person of the opposite sex then it stands to reason that they are fit to marry, therefore if two people, who the state recognizes as fit to marry, wish to do so and happen to be of the same sex what grounds is there to deny them?

  3. #103
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    If a homosexual person can today, marry a person of the opposite sex then it stands to reason that they are fit to marry, therefore if two people, who the state recognizes as fit to marry, wish to do so and happen to be of the same sex what grounds is there to deny them?
    I think a better question is: Why should the state be in the business of "recognizing" who is fit to marry in the first place? Or what the definition of "marriage" is? Or even deciding anything about marriage whatsoever?

    Ok, so that was 3 questions, but I think they're all better.

  4. #104
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    What I haven't seen is any argument explaining why it shouldn't be allowed.
    There is none.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #105
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    There is none.
    Yes there is, most people in this country don't support gay marriage.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yes there is, most people in this country don't support gay marriage.
    Most people at one time opposed interracial marriage, was it right to ban it? Your argument says yes. But we're not a strict democracy, this isn't mob rule. The rights and liberties of the individual are important and it is that which we are to protect. As it currently stands with marriage being an institution bringing with it many legal benefits and is in and of itself a legal, State recognized and granted contract. As such, by forbidding same sex couples from entering into this contract is infringing upon their right to contract.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #107
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,037

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Most people at one time opposed interracial marriage, was it right to ban it? Your argument says yes. But we're not a strict democracy, this isn't mob rule. The rights and liberties of the individual are important and it is that which we are to protect. As it currently stands with marriage being an institution bringing with it many legal benefits and is in and of itself a legal, State recognized and granted contract. As such, by forbidding same sex couples from entering into this contract is infringing upon their right to contract.
    Shhh! Niggers and fags aren't the same silly! Stop giving examples of why mob rule is unacceptable in a democracy that gives all it's members the same rights, privileges etc. through the Constitution.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-09-09 at 11:18 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #108
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Most people at one time opposed interracial marriage, was it right to ban it? Your argument says yes. But we're not a strict democracy, this isn't mob rule. The rights and liberties of the individual are important and it is that which we are to protect. As it currently stands with marriage being an institution bringing with it many legal benefits and is in and of itself a legal, State recognized and granted contract. As such, by forbidding same sex couples from entering into this contract is infringing upon their right to contract.
    We still have illegals drugs, but once libertarians get power everything will be legal and we'll all be able to freely pump herione into our veins while we snort high quality coke?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Shhh! Niggers and fags aren't the same silly! Stop giving examples of why mob rule is unacceptable in a democracy that gives all it's members the same rights, privileges etc. through the Constitution.
    I find that lack of acceptance of gay unions is not due to an inability to interpret the Constitution, but simply lack of imagination. A lot of those opposed to gay marriage have more than an ample number of wild delusions about what a gay relationship is, and it's anything but normal. In any case, maybe if they had a "normal" gay friend they would see that there is nothing out of place.

  10. #110
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    We still have illegals drugs, but once libertarians get power everything will be legal and we'll all be able to freely pump herione into our veins while we snort high quality coke?
    Why not? It's your body. I don't own it, and neither does the government.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •