Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 272

Thread: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    That's self contradicting. Any nation based on principles of religion is a Theocracy. Also, what are the Judeo-Christian principles being claimed?
    A Theocracy is a government whose law is divinely implemented. For example, we are raising taxes because God wants us to.

    Thou shall not kill, or steal... both are commandments that influenced law, but when citing those laws, we are not citing the Bible directly. That's the difference. So in other words, the moral sensibilities of early Americans, who were Christian, were what influenced law... but the law itself is not Christian since it was not written in any way that could be interpreted as religious.

  2. #152
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    Regardless of whether America is or is not a "Christian nation," a lot of people do consider America a "Christian nation" with principles fully in line with Christianity. Obama would have done much better if he had said "I do not consider the U.S. a Christian nation." He cannot speak for all the members of the government, let alone all the people of America.

    What kind of Christianity preaches bombing the hell out of nations that never attacked us? Promotes killing tens of thousands of people? Supports buying products from slave labor? Makes nuclear weapons? Throws people in prison without due process? Tortures people? Runs secret prisons around the world? Kidnaps suspects from one country to fly them to those secret prisons then gives them no chance to prove their innocence? What kind of Christianity preaches spending millions and millions and millions on mega churches buildings and maintentence while leaving homeless out in the cold? What kind of Christianity preaches it's more important to watch children's games on tv versus helping out our neighbors?

    If Jesus were to be strolling in America today he'd probably vomit on a regular basis to see how his Sacrifice has been exploited and mangled to support nearly everything he taught against and gave his life for.

  3. #153
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    What kind of Christianity preaches bombing the hell out of nations that never attacked us? Promotes killing tens of thousands of people? Supports buying products from slave labor? Makes nuclear weapons? Throws people in prison without due process? Tortures people? Runs secret prisons around the world? Kidnaps suspects from one country to fly them to those secret prisons then gives them no chance to prove their innocence? What kind of Christianity preaches spending millions and millions and millions on mega churches buildings and maintentence while leaving homeless out in the cold? What kind of Christianity preaches it's more important to watch children's games on tv versus helping out our neighbors?

    If Jesus were to be strolling in America today he'd probably vomit on a regular basis to see how his Sacrifice has been exploited and mangled to support nearly everything he taught against and gave his life for.
    I said our principles... Not the actions of the government or the hypocrites. War is necessitated by reality and until that reality changes we will not be able to do away with war.

  4. #154
    Student The Jovial One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    07-20-09 @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    160

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    God also made AIDS
    And people who swear that they preach God's love and Christ's mercy also say AIDS is God's punishment for immorality. Because that's what a kind and loving God would do. Right?
    When you can't win an election outside of the south or mountain west, the answer to your problems is NOT "more of the same, but LOUDER!!!"


  5. #155
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    That's self contradicting. Any nation based on principles of religion is a Theocracy. Also, what are the Judeo-Christian principles being claimed?
    Words have meaning Skycore. I know that may be difficult for you to accept based on how you generally post. For example, in this case, THEOCRACY has a meaning:

    * a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided)
    * the belief in government by divine guidance

    Interesting, being based on the religious principles that are ingrained in the people that create the laws and traditions of a nation doesn't seem to be a definition for a theocracy.

    How about you actually use words in their correct meaning instead of just throwing words around thinking it makes you look intelligent, cause it doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    What kind of Christianity preaches bombing the hell out of nations that never attacked us? Promotes killing tens of thousands of people? Supports buying products from slave labor? Makes nuclear weapons? Throws people in prison without due process? Tortures people? Runs secret prisons around the world? Kidnaps suspects from one country to fly them to those secret prisons then gives them no chance to prove their innocence? What kind of Christianity preaches spending millions and millions and millions on mega churches buildings and maintentence while leaving homeless out in the cold? What kind of Christianity preaches it's more important to watch children's games on tv versus helping out our neighbors?

    If Jesus were to be strolling in America today he'd probably vomit on a regular basis to see how his Sacrifice has been exploited and mangled to support nearly everything he taught against and gave his life for.
    Really? The founding fathers and the first citizens of this country had bombs? Let alone, not just bombs, but nuclear weapons? They didn't put due process in the constitution? We had numerous secret prisons.

    Yes, yes, its OBVIOUS you're talking about the founding principles of the people of this country and not just trying to derail the thread into another one of your annoying ass rants.

  6. #156
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    There is no question this country was founded on Judeo Christian values. It is also stated fact that 92% of American people believe in God. So it would not be out of line to say we are a Christian nation.

    However, I also believe we are NOT a christian nation in the fact that we have people of all faiths and do not govern based on faith, but law.


    I think Obama was pandering to the mideast on his worldwide American apology tour...


    This was in Turkey, right? I heard he mentioned that turkey does not consider itself a "muslim nation", as one who spent time at Incirlik, this is bull****, they fully consider themselves a Muslim nation.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #157
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    I said our principles... Not the actions of the government or the hypocrites. War is necessitated by reality and until that reality changes we will not be able to do away with war.

    If our actions don't line up with said principles then how can we be "fully in line" with Christian principles?

    Also, where in my post do I mention War? Is that mistaken for how I pointed out we attacked nations that didn't attack us? Jesus did instruct us on how to respond to enemies but we do the exact opposite.

  8. #158
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    This was in Turkey, right? I heard he mentioned that turkey does not consider itself a "muslim nation", as one who spent time at Incirlik, this is bull****, they fully consider themselves a Muslim nation.
    Of course they do.


  9. #159
    Educator BulletWounD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    984

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyCore View Post
    If our actions don't line up with said principles then how can we be "fully in line" with Christian principles?
    Did I say that or are you pulling this out of your butt?

    Also, where in my post do I mention War? Is that mistaken for how I pointed out we attacked nations that didn't attack us? Jesus did instruct us on how to respond to enemies but we do the exact opposite.
    Like I said, war is necessary to defend our country from tyrants who will destroy our way of life. Until that changes, we will need to fight.

  10. #160
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-09 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    342

    Re: "We do not consider ourselves a christian nation", says Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Words have meaning Skycore. I know that may be difficult for you to accept based on how you generally post. For example, in this case, THEOCRACY has a meaning:

    * a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided)
    * the belief in government by divine guidance

    Interesting, being based on the religious principles that are ingrained in the people that create the laws and traditions of a nation doesn't seem to be a definition for a theocracy.

    How about you actually use words in their correct meaning instead of just throwing words around thinking it makes you look intelligent, cause it doesn't.
    All of Christianity is based on the principles of accepting Christ and worshiping God. So how can a secular nation be based on worshiping God?



    Really? The founding fathers and the first citizens of this country had bombs? Let alone, not just bombs, but nuclear weapons? They didn't put due process in the constitution? We had numerous secret prisons.

    Yes, yes, its OBVIOUS you're talking about the founding principles of the people of this country and not just trying to derail the thread into another one of your annoying ass rants.

    Lol, maybe you wouldn't look so silly if you paid more attention to the posts instead of posters. This is the post I was responding to:

    (Posted by BulletWound)
    Regardless of whether America is or is not a "Christian nation," a lot of people do consider America a "Christian nation" with principles fully in line with Christianity. Obama would have done much better if he had said "I do not consider the U.S. a Christian nation." He cannot speak for all the members of the government, let alone all the people of America."

    He was talking of Obama and contemporary America, not the founders. If you don't like my posts then don't read them. It'd be a lot better than whining about them and making obvious mistakes.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •