Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #31
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletWounD View Post
    "Oppressed?" Get real.
    No more oppressed than I am, not being able to have a legal three-way marrige between Faith Hill, Shania Twain and myself.


  2. #32
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No. I am not.

    I said:



    You have not explained how this is not the case; you have not explained how the argument for changng 'man and woman' cannot be equally applied to changing 'two'.
    And you've not provided any proof that there is such a movement, or reasonable amount of people who would push for that.

    And, as far as I'm concerned, if it were to come to pass I wouldn't frown upon it either as I believe the government should have nothing to do with marriage in the first place.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    The institution of marriage seems to me to be a religious one, therefore the government should stay out of that business and let the churches decide who gets married.

    If the government is going to be involved, and I believe they should not, then they should call them all civil unions. That includes same-sex marriage and polygamy. It is not the business of the government, being a public entity for the entire population of the country, to dictate who consentingly marries who.

  4. #34
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    And you've not provided any proof that there is such a movement, or reasonable amount of people who would push for that.
    Irrelevant to the discussion.

    Explain how the argument for changng 'man and woman' cannot be equally applied to changing 'two'.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    AHH, the denial is steep thick with this one.

    Why was Marriage just between a man and a woman? What stopped it from being between two men?
    Religious arguments.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    And the road to polygamy opens further.

    Good news too, there are a lot of hot women I need to work on marrying.
    I always enjoy it when people throw out this fallacious argument. You do understand that there are many reasons why government supports and encourages marriage. These reasons occur through heterosexual marriage and through homosexual marriage, but not through polygamy.

    But please show us how plural marriage benefits the government and society to bolster your argument that polygamy would be sanctioned.

    This ought to be good.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #37
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Irrelevant to the discussion.

    Explain how the argument for changng 'man and woman' cannot be equally applied to changing 'two'.
    Explain in my belief-set (libertarian), why it matters what "marriage" is defined as please.
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Irrelevant to the discussion.

    Explain how the argument for changng 'man and woman' cannot be equally applied to changing 'two'.
    The law about polygamy applies equally to all religions where as the law on gay marriage does not apply equally to gender.

    I'm sure you have heard that argument before.

    Personally I don't care if you have as many wives as you want.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    When you make decisions based on emotion, not well considered reasoning... you release that little ass kicker (the law of unintended consequences)
    Indeed...unintended consequences. When the people were trying to stop white folk from marrying black folk I suppose they shouldn't have created and instituted the marriage license. Once it became state document, actual law contract marriage became domain of the State and subjected to all the restrictions placed against the State.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    If the argument for changing 'man and woman' to 'two individuals' is sound, then the same argument for changing 'two individuals' to 'two or more individuals' is equally sound.
    Not in the least. There are reasons that the government sponsors and advocates for marriage. This has nothing to do with discrimination nor "rights". It has to do with the things that marriage brings to society and why government would want to promote those things.

    Please show how polygamy accomplishes these things.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •