Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Do you want to end religious institutions?

    They both agreed that this was the way to go, do you agree with that?
    I'm sorry I must be having a reading comprehension issue this evening.

    Which 2 religious institutions decided that what was the way for exactly whom to go where?

  2. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Acceptable and ethical to whom?

    Not to people who understand what this Country stands for.

    America either stands for freedom and equality or it stands for nothing.
    You forgot to bring something today.

  3. #323
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Denying gay marriage is an injustice...
    Denying gay marriage is discrimination...
    No... it is not discrimination or an injustice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is time to grant them this right though, thus balancing equality regarding marriage...
    The relationship isn't the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If things are not equal, as they clearly are not, then there is an inequality.
    There is inequality because the relationships are not the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ...And any state that decides that it is illegal is guilty of Discrimination.
    No they are not.


    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not to people who understand what this Country stands for.

    America either stands for freedom and equality or it stands for nothing.
    Are you saying that the men who formulated, wrote and signed the Constitution would support gay marriage?
    I highly doubt it... And they clearly new what this country stands for.

  4. #324
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    "Are you saying that the men who formulated, wrote and signed the Constitution would support gay marriage?
    I highly doubt it... And they clearly new what this country stands for."

    That is incredibly arrogant firstly. To say this country stands for something because you say so is just ridiculous. Secondly using the founding fathers beliefs in an era long past is illogical as well. For example, there are founding fathers that had slaves. Do you support slavery because there are founding fathers who were ok with it? A document that old, regardless of its significance and important content will not completely pertain to modern American civilization.

  5. #325
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    "Are you saying that the men who formulated, wrote and signed the Constitution would support gay marriage?
    I highly doubt it... And they clearly new what this country stands for."

    That is incredibly arrogant firstly. To say this country stands for something because you say so is just ridiculous. Secondly using the founding fathers beliefs in an era long past is illogical as well. For example, there are founding fathers that had slaves. Do you support slavery because there are founding fathers who were ok with it? A document that old, regardless of its significance and important content will not completely pertain to modern American civilization.
    Don't give Coolguy's words any thoughts or seriousness. He's just angry because he knows where this country is headed with respect to gay marriage. It's called a tantrum.

    Welcome to Debate Politics.

  6. #326
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Don't give Coolguy's words any thoughts or seriousness. He's just angry because he knows where this country is headed with respect to gay marriage. It's called a tantrum.

    Welcome to Debate Politics.
    Thanks! I've just been readin em for the last couple months, decided to finally go through the long arduous task that is registration! (insert sarcastic tone...)

  7. #327
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    That is incredibly arrogant firstly. To say this country stands for something because you say so is just ridiculous. Secondly using the founding fathers beliefs in an era long past is illogical as well. For example, there are founding fathers that had slaves. Do you support slavery because there are founding fathers who were ok with it? A document that old, regardless of its significance and important content will not completely pertain to modern American civilization.
    Arrogant?
    Stating that the Founding Fathers new what the Constitution stood for is somehow arrogant?


    Not at all, but in fact, is the truth.

    Based on your reply, the reply I quoted is far more arrogant in that the person is stating there own belief as if it factual.
    I only pointed out that the founding Fathers had a better understanding of what it stood for than we do today. And yes based on there standards of the time they certainly would not say there was any Constitutional violation.

    Secondly, I never said what the Constitution stood for, did I?

    As for your 'slaves' argument; It is a topic onto itself.



    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    He's just angry because he knows where this country is headed with respect to gay marriage. It's called a tantrum.

    Tantrum?
    Puh...lease. Don't ascribe your juvenile actions to that of others.

    Based on your reply you have no idea as to where I actually stand on this issue, do you?

  8. #328
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    [QUOTE=Coolguy;1057982533]Arrogant?
    Stating that the Founding Fathers new what the Constitution stood for is somehow arrogant?


    Not at all, but in fact, is the truth.

    Based on your reply, the reply I quoted is far more arrogant in that the person is stating there own belief as if it factual.
    I only pointed out that the founding Fathers had a better understanding of what it stood for than we do today. And yes based on there standards of the time they certainly would not say there was any Constitutional violation.

    Secondly, I never said what the Constitution stood for, did I?

    As for your 'slaves' argument; It is a topic onto itself.



    I wasn't calling the founding fathers arrogant, I was calling you arrogant for speaking on behalf of these men. I agree that they had a good idea of what they stood for then. And now, in modern history things have changed. I believe that the word of the constitution should be upheld in most cases, but things DO change. Amendments are proof that the document, while well written, wasn't perfect. My slave argument is just an extreme example easy to relate to. In no way am i putting these issues beside each other. These two things show that its an ever-changing document, to make room for social growth.
    Last edited by Midwest Lib; 04-06-09 at 05:40 AM.

  9. #329
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    I wasn't calling the founding fathers arrogant, I was calling you arrogant for speaking on behalf of these men.
    There seems to be some misunderstanding here.
    I never said you called the Founding Fathers arrogant.

    If you can see from my reply it says: "Stating that the Founding Fathers new what the Constitution stood for is somehow arrogant? "
    Clearly indicating that I understood that you were referring to what I said.


    This is was what you originally replied to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not to people who understand what this Country stands for.

    America either stands for freedom and equality or it stands for nothing.
    Are you saying that the men who formulated, wrote and signed the Constitution would support gay marriage?
    I highly doubt it... And they clearly new what this country stands for.
    No where did I speak for them.
    Stating that they 'knew' what this country stood for is not arrogant but, factual.

    Is saying, 'I highly doubt it,' to the question I asked arrogant?
    Not when we can surmise, based on the times of our Founding Fathers, that they wouldn't have even contemplated it.

    I said nothing arrogant.

    But if you couldn't tell, my reply was pointing out the arrogance of the quoted statement: "Not to people who understand what this Country stands for."
    Which is far more arrogant than my reply.



    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    I agree that they had a good idea of what they stood for then. And now, in modern history things have changed. I believe that the word of the constitution should be upheld in most cases, but things DO change. Amendments are proof that the document, while well written, wasn't perfect.
    Agreed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    My slave argument is just an extreme example easy to relate to. In no way am i putting these issues beside each other. These two things show that its an ever-changing document, to make room for social growth.
    Yes, but not to continue the 'slavery' discussion, some of the Founding Fathers are on record as to not truly supporting it. Which is why, to me, your comparison doesn't fly.

  10. #330
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Tantrum?
    Puh...lease. Don't ascribe your juvenile actions to that of others.

    Based on your reply you have no idea as to where I actually stand on this issue, do you?
    I have seen your posts long enough to make that assessment. You don't have to agree with it. *shrugs shoulders*

    I have a very good guess on where you stand on the issue. If I am wrong, so be it. I don't mind being wrong, particularly on this issue. I would love to think that you support gay people being able to get married.

Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •