Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #311
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    04-05-09 @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4

    fyi Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    It is not unconstitutional. The Constitution says nothing at all about gay marriage. That means the right to decide weather or not it is legal is the state's right.
    Obama Won
    America Lost

    Vote Ron Paul

  2. #312
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Since inequality is an injustice, then since you say there's no injustice then neither is there inequality.
    Originally posted by Bodi
    Denying gay marriage is an injustice...
    Denying gay marriage is discrimination...




    Since many people like to use Loving, Id like to point out that interracial marriage was originally legal and then later targeted for criminalization. Gay marriage, however, was never legal or in the history and traditions of the people, so creating gay marriage today does not establish equality.
    Equality is not exclusive to legality...
    If things are not equal, as they clearly are not, then there is an inequality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
    It is not unconstitutional. The Constitution says nothing at all about gay marriage. That means the right to decide weather or not it is legal is the state's right.
    ...And any state that decides that it is illegal is guilty of Discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ...And any state that decides that it is illegal is guilty of Discrimination.
    So?


    ******************

  5. #315
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So?


    ******************
    So... Discrimination is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So... Discrimination is illegal.
    Ahh so we have to allow polygamy, according to you, since Marital Status is a protected class.

    Oh you don't like the polygamy angle? Ok, then you have to allow incest since Familial Relation is a protected class.

    Pft, "Discrimination is illegal", as if that's true

    Yup, not allowing gay marriage is discrimination, and that is acceptable and ethical.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ahh so we have to allow polygamy, according to you, since Marital Status is a protected class.

    Oh you don't like the polygamy angle? Ok, then you have to allow incest since Familial Relation is a protected class.

    Pft, "Discrimination is illegal", as if that's true

    Yup, not allowing gay marriage is discrimination, and that is acceptable and ethical.
    Polygomy... no problem at all. Let a group of people get married. All good.
    Incest.... don't be ridiculous. That is a crime for a very good reason.

    Discrimination is illegal if it discriminates for no valid reason...

    Provide an ethical argument for discriminating against gay marriage, because I don't think that there is one and then maybe I will see that it could be acceptable to discriminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #318
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    I distrust many religious institutions (I can count on one hand the number of clergy I know personally and respect--and two of those are uncles of mine). That does not bar me from having a great respect for religion, for religious traditions, or for religious teachings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So?

    I mean, I'm a Christian and I'm sceptical, so...again..."so?"
    Do you want to end religious institutions?

    They both agreed that this was the way to go, do you agree with that?

  9. #319
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ahh so we have to allow polygamy, according to you, since Marital Status is a protected class.

    Oh you don't like the polygamy angle? Ok, then you have to allow incest since Familial Relation is a protected class.

    Pft, "Discrimination is illegal", as if that's true

    Yup, not allowing gay marriage is discrimination, and that is acceptable and ethical.
    Acceptable and ethical to whom?

    Not to people who understand what this Country stands for.

    America either stands for freedom and equality or it stands for nothing.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Polygomy... no problem at all. Let a group of people get married. All good.
    Yup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Incest.... don't be ridiculous. That is a crime for a very good reason.
    Not so long as people with other genetic diseases are allowed to get married.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Provide an ethical argument for discriminating against gay marriage...
    The argument I'm making here isn't necessarily opposed to gay-marriage.

    I'm saying gay-marriage not a civil rights issue. You can still establish gay-marriage without it being a civil rights issue. Society can come together and say "you know, gays may not be 'entitled' to marriage, but we think gay-marriage would be a good thing so we're gona go ahead and allow it."

    Without opposing gay-marriage I'm pointing out that since there is no 'fundamental right' to *marry* just whomever you want, there is no right being denied and therefore no "discrimination".

    Gays are confusing the fundamental right of free association with the fundamental right to marry. Go ahead and love who you want, make a life and live with whom you please. Marriage, however, serve a purpose, and ANYONE who doesn't intend or can not fulfill that purpose has no business getting married.

    Even in futile Japan and Rome where gay relationships were the accepted norm, marriage was always respected for it's function and neither society sought to have same-sex "marriages".
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-06-09 at 02:17 AM.

Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •