Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #301
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-24-09 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Jerry, while I agree that yes most of the founding fathers were religious men, a lot of them were skeptical of religious practices. Thomas Jefferson was yes a spiritual man but we was very skeptical of religion.

    "Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. "

    Thomas Jefferson

    "And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter."

    Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

    "Religions are all alike. Founded upon fables and mythologies."

    Thomas Jefferson

    Jefferson was very skeptical of religion, and so was John Adams, they had many conversations in letters about it.

    "Indeed, Mr. Jefferson, what could be invented to debase the ancient Christianism which Greeks, Romans, Hebrews and Christian factions, above all the Catholics, have not fraudulently imposed upon the public? Miracles after miracles have rolled down in torrents."

    John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, December 3, 1813

    Mr. Adams and Mr. Jefferson along with many other founding fathers saw the importance of morals but disliked religious institutions, namely the catholic church.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Nasty stuff....next you will wanting to add eggplant and okra....philistines !!!
    Eggplant and okra???????

    Blasphemy to even suggest such a thing. For penance you must turn your wine back into water.

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Jerry, while I agree that yes most of the founding fathers were religious men, a lot of them were skeptical of religious practices.
    So?

    I mean, I'm a Christian and I'm sceptical, so...again..."so?"

  4. #304
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So?

    I mean, I'm a Christian and I'm sceptical, so...again..."so?"
    Besides, one can argue the value of "religion" without asserting the primacy of a religion.

  5. #305
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Mr. Adams and Mr. Jefferson along with many other founding fathers saw the importance of morals but disliked religious institutions, namely the catholic church.
    I distrust many religious institutions (I can count on one hand the number of clergy I know personally and respect--and two of those are uncles of mine). That does not bar me from having a great respect for religion, for religious traditions, or for religious teachings.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    My problem was with people claiming that this has anything to do with equality.

    For the sake of the argument: Sure, let gays get "married" all they want, but the moment you start pretending that gay marriage has anything to do with righting an injustice you're fool.

    Well, my position is not that it is righting an injustice, it is simply equaling things out. It is inequality if things are not equal, and it has nothing to do with righting an injustice. I don't care what the history of marriage has been, I only care that it changes so that gays can legally marry and use the term marriage. Until gays can legally marry and use the term marriage, they are being discriminated against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well, my position is not that it is righting an injustice, it is simply equaling things out.
    You are about to contradict this statement, observe:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is inequality if things are not equal, and it has nothing to do with righting an injustice. I don't care what the history of marriage has been, I only care that it changes so that gays can legally marry and use the term marriage. Until gays can legally marry and use the term marriage, they are being discriminated against.
    You're saying that there is currently the injustice of unethical discrimination, and that gay-marriage legislation rights that injustice.

    I'm not realy trying to refute your argument here so much as clarify it.

  8. #308
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You are about to contradict this statement, observe:



    You're saying that there is currently the injustice of unethical discrimination, and that gay-marriage legislation rights that injustice.

    I'm not realy trying to refute your argument here so much as clarify it.
    thank you jerry, I was far too lazy.

  9. #309
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You are about to contradict this statement, observe:



    You're saying that there is currently the injustice of unethical discrimination, and that gay-marriage legislation rights that injustice.

    I'm not realy trying to refute your argument here so much as clarify it.
    Cool, it is all good. It might need carification, but it is not incorrect.

    Denying gay marriage is an injustice...
    Denying gay marriage is discrimination...

    It is not about righting an injustice, since they never had the "right" in the ifrst place...
    It is time to grant them this right though, thus balancing equality regarding marriage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Cool, it is all good. It might need carification, but it is not incorrect.

    Denying gay marriage is an injustice...
    Denying gay marriage is discrimination...

    It is not about righting an injustice, since they never had the "right" in the ifrst place...
    It is time to grant them this right though, thus balancing equality regarding marriage...
    Since inequality is an injustice, then since you say there's no injustice then neither is there inequality.

    Since many people like to use Loving, Id like to point out that interracial marriage was originally legal and then later targeted for criminalization. Gay marriage, however, was never legal or in the history and traditions of the people, so creating gay marriage today does not establish equality.

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •