Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Sure it is equal, they have equal rights to marry someone of the opposite sex.
    That's like saying interacial marriage should have stayed illegal, because blacks had the right to marry their own race, but not another.

    Sorry, doesn't cut it.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's like saying interacial marriage should have stayed illegal, because blacks had the right to marry their own race, but not another.

    Sorry, doesn't cut it.
    No, see here again you show that don't know what you're talking about.

    Black were ONLY prohibited from marrying whites.

    Blacks could marry Asian, Blacks could marry Spanish, Blacks could marry Native American, etc.

    ***
    You people don't even know wtf you're talking about. All you do is read a headline and fell good about it, but you don't understand. You opinions are not based on fact, but emotion, and therefore do not diserve respect.

  3. #163
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, see here again you show that don't know what you're talking about.

    Black were ONLY prohibited from marrying whites.

    Blacks could marry Asian, Blacks could marry Spanish, Blacks could marry Native American, etc.
    Men are ONLY prohibited from marrying men. They can marry any other gender they want. So how is that different?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #164
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's like saying interacial marriage should have stayed illegal, because blacks had the right to marry their own race, but not another.

    Sorry, doesn't cut it.
    Sorry but that doesn't cut it.
    You are comparing apples to oranges.

    Race does not equal sexual preference.

  5. #165
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It is not judicial activism when the judges are following the letter of the law.
    If you read the entire decision, then you know they did not follow the letter of the law, but interpreted it.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You people don't even know wtf you're talking about. All you do is read a headline and fell good about it, but you don't understand. You opinions are not based on fact, but emotion, and therefore do not diserve respect.
    Says the bible thumper, I love it.

    You don 't matter Jerry.

    Your whole argument is based on emotion. God says no is your forte.

  7. #167
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    If you read the entire decision, then you know they did not follow the letter of the law, but interpreted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Sure it is equal, they have equal rights to marry someone of the opposite sex. It is also equal if they can marry someone of the same sex. Both situations are "equal". Equal is not a simple category in some cases. In Iowa it was historically determined in this case and that has been overturned by a court engaging in judicial activism to set social policy.
    I did read the entire decision and provided the relevant constitutional provisions to back up the position of the court. The court followed the law of the constitution, therefore, it is not judicial activism. The ruling was based on law.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    Sorry but that doesn't cut it.
    You are comparing apples to oranges.

    Race does not equal sexual preference.
    Sure it does. Did you choose to be heterosexual or were you just NATURALLY attracted to the opposite sex?

  9. #169
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    If you read the entire decision, then you know they did not follow the letter of the law, but interpreted it.
    The Iowa Constitution states:
    "Laws uniform. SEC. 6. All laws of a general nature shall have a uniform operation; the general assembly shall not grant to any citizen, or class of citizens, privileges or immunities, which, upon the same terms shall not equally belong to all citizens."

    That seems pretty straightforward. It doesn't really take a great deal of interpretation in this case.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #170
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That's like saying interacial marriage should have stayed illegal, because blacks had the right to marry their own race, but not another.

    Sorry, doesn't cut it.
    Perhaps, it is also like saying the equal right to property doesn't mean everyone has the right to the same amount of property.

    The point is that equal is not always a straightforward category. Your point supports and does not take away from mine.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •