Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 602

Thread: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

  1. #131
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Constitutional Rights/Privileges should never be subjected to a simple majority vote. The whole idea behind a "constitution" is that the minority should not be subject to the whim of the majority when it comes to fundamental rights and privileges.
    Of course, you're forgetting the fact that, whether you think it should or shouldn't be subject to a majority vote, it almost certainly will be, in the form of a constitutional amendment.

  2. #132
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    It currently is.
    One person has the equal 'Right" to marry someone of the opposite gender.
    There is no discrimination in this.
    That is a "separate but equal" doctrine that was struck down by the Court in Brown v. Board of Education.

    It is not an equal right when the law removes the choice of who to marry in one group of citizens and not in another group. That is inherently unequal.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I always enjoy it when people throw out this fallacious argument. You do understand that there are many reasons why government supports and encourages marriage. These reasons occur through heterosexual marriage and through homosexual marriage, but not through polygamy.

    But please show us how plural marriage benefits the government and society to bolster your argument that polygamy would be sanctioned.

    This ought to be good.
    Actually, it would be much easier for you to list those benefits to the government that plural marriage doesn't offer.

    This should be good.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not in the least. There are reasons that the government sponsors and advocates for marriage. This has nothing to do with discrimination nor "rights". It has to do with the things that marriage brings to society and why government would want to promote those things.

    Please show how polygamy accomplishes these things.
    You've said this twice now without listing those reasons. So why not list them for us.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    If this is the game we're playing, doesn't fault then lie withing the SCotUS? It was the courts which ruled originally that the marriage license could not be applied to just interracial marriage. They changed marriage from between a man and a woman of the same race to just a man and a woman. So if that was changed, it is the source of all the downfall. Because clearly we as humans can't be rational about this so if we allow same sex marriage, we're totally going to allow polygamy, and let's throw in bestiality in there cause why do we have to limit it to the same species? Let's take the slippery slope and see where it goes, of course if we always did that nothing would get done. And in this instance it's very possible to be rational about this. But since we're not using rational arguments, then we'll tread back up the slippery slope to where it all started. We should never have allowed interracial marriage, that paved the way for the downfall of marriage. The purpose of the marriage license was to discriminate, it's still used that way (wonders how humanity grows).
    Actually, I don't think it's possible to make a valid argument for bestiality. An animal can't give consent, argument over.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The institution of marriage seems to me to be a religious one, therefore the government should stay out of that business and let the churches decide who gets married.

    If the government is going to be involved, and I believe they should not, then they should call them all civil unions. That includes same-sex marriage and polygamy. It is not the business of the government, being a public entity for the entire population of the country, to dictate who consentingly marries who.
    This is a perfect example of why I do not support the modern gay-marriage movement.

    It has absolutely NOTHING to do with sexual preference.

    You just said that enforcing the law is not the government’s business, that the government needs to keep it's nose out of rights and privileges under the law.

    You aren't making any sense at all.

    There's not even enough logic in your post to object to. There's really nothing there at all.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    But wait... if marriage is religious, does that mean that atheists shouldn't be allowed to get married?

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That is a "separate but equal" doctrine that was struck down by the Court in Brown v. Board of Education.

    It is not an equal right when the law removes the choice of who to marry in one group of citizens and not in another group. That is inherently unequal.
    I'm not sure what that ruling has to do with anything, but Brown v. Board of Education merely said that black schools must be as good as white schools, and that if, IF a given black person wanted to attend a white school, that said black person could not be barred from doing so on the sole account of race.

    This ruling has nothing to do with marriage.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That is a "separate but equal" doctrine that was struck down by the Court in Brown v. Board of Education.

    It is not an equal right when the law removes the choice of who to marry in one group of citizens and not in another group. That is inherently unequal.
    Me personally, I don't even support hetero-marriage for the sake of equality, so arguing for gay-marriage on the basis of equality is a waste of your time.

  10. #140
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Iowa Court says gay marriage ban unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That is a "separate but equal" doctrine that was struck down by the Court in Brown v. Board of Education.

    It is not an equal right when the law removes the choice of who to marry in one group of citizens and not in another group. That is inherently unequal.
    Your point is moot.
    This isn't about race.

Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •